UK to change videogame ratings

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I just saw this article on the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18017385

So apparently the UK will soon be changing how it rates videogames. Instead of the British Board of Film Classification providing ratings and videogames will be rated by the Video Standards Council using EU guidelines PEGI. This is supposed to bring more clarity and provide greater help for parents. Though also under this change means that anyone selling a game to a someone under-aged could result in a jail sentence. So what do we think of this? I personally have no problem making things easier for parents to make informed decisions about the games their children play if it stops them complaining about violence in games, however I feel that sending people to jail is excessive. I mean providing minors with cigarettes or alcohol results in a fine which is probably alot worst than letting a child play gta.

Dec 14, 2009
It was already illegal to sell games to underage kids anyway, although I don't think there was ever a threat of jail time...

So, the individual who sells the game is liable, rather than the company?

Hmmm, should motivate people to age check more often :D

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Would someone go to jail for selling an R rated movie(or whatever equivalent exists) in the UK?

Because if not, that smacks of hypocrisy

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
I can't help laughing at what happens when they actually go to jail.

Surrounded by serial kilelrs and rapists, when asked what they did, 'i bought a game' doesn't sound impressive.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
It was already illegal to sell games to underage kids anyway, although I don't think there was ever a threat of jail time...

So, the individual who sells the game is liable, rather than the company?

Hmmm, should motivate people to age check more often :D
I don't think you could be sent to jail previously, maybe a fine if you where caught. Although I think you may be right that it will make retailers take more care checking ages unless they want half their staff in jail.

senordesol said:
Would someone go to jail for selling an R rated movie(or whatever equivalent exists) in the UK?

Because if not, that smacks of hypocrisy
It does seem like a hypocrisy as the article does not mention this affecting any other media forms. Plus as I said in my op you could provide children with alcohol and just up to £500.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Good thing they're getting on board the PEGI-train, at least. That system is clear, simple and leaves stupid parents with no excuses. It specifies an age, and points out what the "nasties" in question is, like horror, sexual content, drugs, violence and so on.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Muspelheim said:
Good thing they're getting on board the PEGI-train, at least. That system is clear, simple and leaves stupid parents with no excuses. It specifies an age, and points out what the "nasties" in question is, like horror, sexual content, drugs, violence and so on.
Yeah, but the BBFC is a more familiar format to a lot of parents, what with it being on films and all.

They pay attention to it a lot more, than the PEGI one.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
Giving underage minors can not result in jail time for the UK? Holy shit some place in the US it is illegal to give you own kid booze at you own home and can result in the parent being jailed. Granted it is not that way in most state but most people here never even look up the law and assume it is.

Anyway i have to agree that jail time is excessive though i do like the idea of a fine.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Jazoni89 said:
Yeah, but the BBFC is a more familiar format to a lot of parents, what with it being on films and all.

They pay attention to it a lot more, than the PEGI one.
Point... Hopefully, they'll launch a little campaign to notify parents of the change and how the new system works. It can't be too difficult to grasp.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
It doesn't matter how they rate games, if junior wants Call of Duty 11 he's getting it. There are way too many underage gamers playing 18 rated games, I'm not talking 14 & 15 9 year olds are playing CoD these days. I don't think the new rating system will make a difference. I wish I were allowed to play 18 rated games at that age, my mum just lectured me about how S.T.A.L.K.E.R being set in Chernobyl was wrong and I'm 16. "Games shouldn't need to use real places as a setting" she's convinced that setting the game around Chernobyl is some kind of marketing ploy so that the game gets more attention, why must people frown upon things they have no clue about.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
I don't mind as long as the change leads to more accurate ratings as opposed to more censorship. The BBFC had a habit of giving 15 ratings to games that were rated higher in other regions and IMO: had no business being at that age rating.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
This whole rating thing is getting a bit bloody ridiculous, my housemate's friend at uni who is 19 recently got asked for ID and refused the sale of a movie. Which was a PG.

I doubt it'll even make much difference, as parents will continue to buy games for kids, and that's where education needs to be focussed.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Its not the people selling the games that are the problem its the parents buying them for kids.

I had to bite my tounge in tescos the other day when some little shitling runs up to his mum begging her to buy him grand theft auto. shes looking at it in her hand and says thats fine its half price... DID YOU EVEN READ THE BACK OR SEE THE MASSIVE 18 ON THE FRONT.

God...

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
Rastien said:
Its not the people selling the games that are the problem its the parents buying them for kids.

I had to bite my tounge in tescos the other day when some little shitling runs up to his mum begging her to buy him grand theft auto. shes looking at it in her hand and says thats fine its half price... DID YOU EVEN READ THE BACK OR SEE THE MASSIVE 18 ON THE FRONT.

God...
Parents are responsible for their children, and in the UK/Europe this is taken far more seriously than the US, for example.

Parents can allow their kids to drink, why shouldn't they be able to allow them to play mature rated video games?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well for one thing I will facepalm again if some parent out there still complain that the new age rating still not being useful enough.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
I think age restrictions are ridiculous.

I work in HMV and I hate IDing people for films and games, but obviously I have to because I could get a massive fine (something like £2000), a jail sentence or criminal record. It's utterly ridiculous. I mean, everyone watches and plays things 'underage'. I think that games and films should have recommended certificates on, in the same manner that they do now, but it isn't mandatory to follow them. I really don't see what the big deal is. I know that it affects people in different ways, and some people are influenced by the games they play and films they watch...but, think about it, just not being able to buy it in a store isn't going to stop them! It is a difficult subject, yes, but I do think that the laws are a bit extreme.