Ultimate Final Fantasy IV Collection Announced for PSP

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Ultimate Final Fantasy IV Collection Announced for PSP

Square Enix is repackaging the entire Final Fantasy IV experience for PSP release, with a little something extra.

Square Enix has revisited Final Fantasy IV a few times already, but is finally packing together all of its tales into one box. Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection for the PSP was just revealed in Japanese magazine V Jump and will include both the original Final Fantasy IV and follow up Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, in addition to a brand new gameplay section that bridges the two games.

Final Fantasy IV was first released in the U.S. on the Super Nintendo as Final Fantasy II, with Square having skipped releasing the second and third NES Final Fantasy titles overseas. It regained its name in Final Fantasy IV [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Chronicles-Chrono-Trigger-Playstation/dp/B00005LOXE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1292288122&sr=8-2] for the Nintendo DS in 2008. Also in 2008, way after Final Fantasy IV's original 1991 release, came The After Years on Japanese cellphones, which continued the story of the characters from the original game with classic graphics and gameplay, and was later released on WiiWare in 2009.

Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection will toss aside the 3D graphics used in Final Fantasy IV on the DS in favor of what looks like a gorgeous 2D upgrade similar to that seen in Final Fantasy II [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Sony-PSP/dp/B000NPTOTK/ref=pd_sim_vg_1] for the PSP. News on the collection is still very fresh, so we don't know if it'll feature any other additions or changes. It's scheduled to release in Japan in spring 2011.

I'm pretty excited about the possibility of this coming stateside, even though I already own Final Fantasy IV for the SNES, GBA, and DS. I know, it seems weird. To me, Final Fantasy IV represented a huge jump in console RPG quality over previous generations, including its banging soundtrack [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C6iHlBN_ZM], engaging story, interesting characters, challenging gameplay, and forms of travel that featured multiple airships and even a hovercraft. It hasn't been announced for any other regions yet, but I'll go over to Square Enix's offices and make it localize the collection with threat of casting Meteo if I have to. While I'm there, I'll make sure Square releases a collection like this for Final Fantasy VI too.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/13/ffiv_compilation_psp/]

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
AugustFall said:
anthony87 said:
Naheal said:
FF5 and 6 please.
Don't forget 3.

Or did they release that on PSP already and I missed it?
Released on the DS and it's awesome.
I'm aware of the DS version but I don't have a DS, plus I'd rather it be done in sprites and stuff like the PSP versions as opposed to the 3D style used in the DS ones.

Shining_Pyrelight

Oct 17, 2010
I wish they would focus on the older Final Fantasy games. 3,5,6, and 9 to be precise. Overall, they're the most overlooked.
I'd love an enhanced remake of 6 and 5. The Gameboy Advance versions didn't do much justice to either one.

Though, it is wonderful to get another version of 4, I loved the PSP versions of 1 and 2.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Psychicflash666 said:
I wish they would focus on the older Final Fantasy games. 3,5,6, and 9 to be precise. Overall, they're the most overlooked.
I'd love an enhanced remake of 6 and 5. The Gameboy Advance versions didn't do much justice to either one.

Though, it is wonderful to get another version of 4, I loved the PSP versions of 1 and 2.
How was the PSP version of 1? I reviewed 1 recently and found it fun, but... well, easy.

ZeikHunter

Apr 15, 2009
This sounds like an excuse to write "You spoony bard!" again.

On second thought, the whole freaking legacy in one title sounds like a deal to me. FF4, The After Years, and new gameplay?! I want a PSP.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Yes! I'm so glad I didn't waste money on a Wii just for FFIV The After Years! FFIV is the best! Woo!!

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Naheal said:
Psychicflash666 said:

How was the PSP version of 1? I reviewed 1 recently and found it fun, but... well, easy.
I'm not the one you asked, but I thought that the FFI+II remakes on the PSP were excellent. Aside from perhaps the Origins collection for the PlayStation, they're the definitive version of the two games.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
anthony87 said:
AugustFall said:
anthony87 said:
Naheal said:
FF5 and 6 please.
Don't forget 3.

Or did they release that on PSP already and I missed it?
Released on the DS and it's awesome.
I'm aware of the DS version but I don't have a DS, plus I'd rather it be done in sprites and stuff like the PSP versions as opposed to the 3D style used in the DS ones.
Agreed. The 3D Style they chose to use seemed a bit too cartoony.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Hey check it out, I learned the bass line from Final Fantasy II!

Anyways, I'm glad I'm finally gonna be able to play FF IV on something besides a ROM now.

TomOfTheCross

Jun 23, 2009
Well fuck me sideways, might as well go sell my DS copy.
Those clever buggers have just secured another £30/40 out of me.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Still feel this is the best game in the series (along with FF6 anyways), so it's always a treat to hear about a new version of it. I can't count the number of times I've beaten this game and yet I still keep coming back to it again and again.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I will get this if it comes over to north America for sure. Even if the After Years sucks, I still get to play FF4 and that's all that matters. They're even adding in a new segment to bridge the gap between FF4 and AY.

deshadow52

Oct 25, 2010
So let me get this strait i buy final fantasy 4 ds which is a fantastic remake with a much better script than the snes version, I then buy the after years on wiiware with all the dlc and now they decide to release this on the psp with everything for a cheaper price after me and many others buy both games around 80 dollars, really?

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
I will get this, it is the only way I will ever play FF7 as I cannot bring myself to buy it for the computer.