Ultramarines: The movie

LupusDei

Jan 7, 2011

This will be my first review on the site and as such I made a thread earlier asking what people would like to see reviewed most, and this film cropped up several times. Being a fan of the Warhammer 40K series and having never watched it, I decided to make it my first.

Ultramarines: The movie, is a collaboration between Games Workship and Codex Pictures to work on this 70-Minute long animated CGI film. The popular author Dan Abnett whom having written many novels based on the Warhammer 40K world, takes his place to write the story. Now on to the review!

The film gets off to a good start in true warhammer spirit. The credits have barely started before we are thrown into a conflict with an unknown enemy, from the first person standpoint of an unknown space marine. Gunfire explodes noisily above the sound of dropping shell casings and explosions thunder into the side of the one viewable building on screen, raining down debris. Not much can be made out at this point through the garbled shouts of battle and war, except the single clear line of dialogue ''Defend the relic''.

This is the basis for the story and after this brief 20-seconds or so of carnage, the credits finish and we meet our main characters engaged in what seems to be a friendly sparring match in a grand stone hall. One thing Im sure most will notice straightaway is the fact that though the sound effects in terms of impact and quality may be nice, the graphical detail and animations themselves are most definately not.
The entire film from this point on will be subject to less enjoyment because of the budget, which is a little dissapointing considering the size of the Warhammer franchise. Armour looks cheap and plastic and about as defensive as a packet of paper tissues, faces are blank showing no signs of intelligent life or expression and movements also look somewhat robotic and easy considering they are carrying roughly an adult elephant's weight of equipment on their backs.

(This is my poker face....)

Amongst other things and this will only affect those know the universe well, It doesnt seem to be one hundred percent authentic Warhammer stuff. Lore seems patchy in areas and the squad of space marines seem rather slow and unaccepting of any imminent danger, very unlike how they are supposed to act, constantly aware and ready to battle the taint of chaos with fist and bolter. At times characters even seem cowardly, whilst all the time still shouting ''And we shall know no fear'' which just seems daft. Chaos even seem dull witted and stupid, nothing but mindless savage animals that charge suicidally into enemy fire without any plan or tactical coordination which is wrong also and an insult to the lore of that race. I fear this may be Dan Abnett's infulence creeping in and may of been better written by a senior member of Games Workshop.

I won't ruin the story for you but even casual Warhammer fans will know it all too well. Space marines lose contact with a force stationed on a remote planet, and as such are sent out to investigate meeting an old enemy upon arrival being the basic jist of it. You have to wait through 20-minutes of introduction, highlighting and explaining who the Ultramarines actually are, before we get into the action. The action scenes in this short film are actually where it shines best even though there is only a handful during the entire thing, because for all the gripes I have with the graphical quality and animations, the voice acting and music is pretty fantastic.
Powerful british voice actors spew out cheesy lines of dialogue such as ''We are steel, We are Doom!'' and I absolutely love it. The film is extremely lucky that the level of voice acting is so good because the blank faces almost all look the same and most times are wearing helmets that cover the face anyway, so we can only really distinguish them most times by voice. The music is a mix of gregorian chanting and suitably epic orchestra pieces that add a much needed depth to the lacking areas of the film.

When the combat does start and the real brillance of the entire flick comes to life it seems to end all too soon, after only a handful of truely excellent battle scenes it seems to come swiftly to a disapointing anti-climatic ending. I feel it could of used a little longer overall to really flesh out the characters and develop a much more in-depth storyline to counter the low budget appearance of it all.

(I look badass... And I know it.)

Ultramarines: The Movie, recieves kudo's points simply for being the first of its kind. It might make a nice introduction to the Warhammer world for newcomers and even casual/hardcore fans will enjoy one viewing of it as I did. It didn't leave me with the feeling of fulfilment that I was hoping it would however, and I doubt it will many others either. I hope its just a taste of better things to come, but its a fairly decent start at least.

P.S. I'm an Ork fan, Cuz we'z da best, cuz lik, we'z made fer fightin'....N winnin'. WAAGHH<3

Pretty tired when I wrote this, so I'll probaly think its crap in the morning and edit the lot.

(Also I realise this a massive wall of text that most won't read, but Im unsure how to use the editing functions such as colour, pictures and word fonts. Do you have to be a subscriber?)

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
LupusDei said:
Chaos even seem dull witted and stupid, nothing but mindless savage animals that charge suicidally into enemy fire without any plan or tactical coordination which is wrong also and an insult to the lore of that race.
I found this kinda funny considering they are called 'chaos' therefore this would actually make more sense for them to be like that then what they actually are.

OT: Good review, this helped make up my mind whether to watch the thing. I think I'll pass until they can improve the quality, maybe make it a different chapter, or a different race, since the ultramarines aren't all that interesting...

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Looks like a fanstic movie, I really wanna watch it, even if I don't like the Ultrasmurfs.
I'm an Eldar/Dark Eldar person myself...more Dark Eldar, but Warp Spiders are epic.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
It was a good film. But the animation budget is really where it stalls. The Power Armour looks exactly like the game models, but unfortunately it moves just like the game models.

Compare and contrast to the Dawn of War 2 Cinematic.

Admittedly, they are different, one is action the other is drama, but both portray important aspects of the 40K Universe. The bloodshed and carnage are easy to do in either Dawn of War or Ultramarines, but when doing drama, you need good animation to portray emotion. Sadly Ultramarines cannot do this with its budget.

LupusDei

Jan 7, 2011
Ultramarines are quite boring and bland, even for space marines they seem the most by the book and boring bunch around. What about Eldar VS orkz in a movie?

You don't see that often, eh? :p

LupusDei

Jan 7, 2011
Dark Knifer said:
LupusDei said:
Chaos even seem dull witted and stupid, nothing but mindless savage animals that charge suicidally into enemy fire without any plan or tactical coordination which is wrong also and an insult to the lore of that race.
I found this kinda funny considering they are called 'chaos' therefore this would actually make more sense for them to be like that then what they actually are.

OT: Good review, this helped make up my mind whether to watch the thing. I think I'll pass until they can improve the quality, maybe make it a different chapter, or a different race, since the ultramarines aren't all that interesting...
The thing is chaos have a lot of depth to them, sure they have groups like the Khorne Bezerkers that will charge headlong into the fray, chain axe aloft screaming profanity. But typically the chao marines are just as intelligent as the regular space marines, if not a little more cunning and sly.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
LupusDei said:
Dark Knifer said:
LupusDei said:

The thing is chaos have a lot of depth to them, sure they have groups like the Khorne Bezerkers that will charge headlong into the fray, chain axe aloft screaming profanity. But typically the chao marines are just as intelligent as the regular space marines, if not a little more cunning and sly.
I realize that, but I was just joking. I wouldn't change them anyways, they are fine how they are.

LupusDei

Jan 7, 2011
Dark Knifer said:
LupusDei said:
Dark Knifer said:
LupusDei said:

I realize that, but I was just joking. I wouldn't change them anyways, they are fine how they are.
I wasn't getting angry or anything =p just delicious nerdy discussion. <3

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
LupusDei said:
Dark Knifer said:
LupusDei said:
Dark Knifer said:
LupusDei said:

I wasn't getting angry or anything =p just delicious nerdy discussion. <3
I can respect that, discussions like that are always entertaining. Yay for internet anonymity I guess.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
LupusDei said:
Well you could look at it both ways, Chaos is usually portrayed as a handful of scheming and plotting leaders that throw hordes of minions at the enemy to achieve their sneaky goal, while the movie does fail at portraying it this way the Chaos end goal was more then mere destruction.

All in all it is better then I expected, but it's lacking production value and overall polish, movies do need a good team to make them shine.
Relic should get in touch with Pixar for this because they know how to make movies right.

Elochai_IV

May 28, 2010
I watched the Ultramarines Movie just the other day actually.
I found the graphics quite lacking, to be honest. I mean, seriously: In this day and age, it looks like that?
The CUTSCENES from Dawn of War II had better graphics. =="
Ither than that, the storyline to it didn't really have much depth, as far as a second part is concerned.

LupusDei said:
Ultramarines are quite boring and bland, even for space marines they seem the most by the book and boring bunch around. What about Eldar VS orkz in a movie?
I agree, This should've had at LEAST a side scrolling scene from behind an Eldar Seer, or SOMETHING to give a hint that what happened here isn't just another routine (I am aware it's not 'routine', just roll with it) patroll, and open it up for a part two, Preferably with better graphics.
And voice acting.
And more than three designs for the Space Marines faces.
Seriously.

LupusDei

Jan 7, 2011
Mr.K. said:
LupusDei said:
Well you could look at it both ways, Chaos is usually portrayed as a handful of scheming and plotting leaders that throw hordes of minions at the enemy to achieve their sneaky goal, while the movie does fail at portraying it this way the Chaos end goal was more then mere destruction.

All in all it is better then I expected, but it's lacking production value and overall polish, movies do need a good team to make them shine.
Relic should get in touch with Pixar for this because they know how to make movies right.
I agree, the leaders do tend to use anything and anyone to achieve their goals. Monsters.inc space marines fighting the hordes of chao's is also something I can but dream about hehe.

LupusDei

Jan 7, 2011
Elochai_IV said:
I found the graphics quite lacking, to be honest. I mean, seriously: In this day and age, it looks like that?
Ither than that, the storyline to it didn't really have much depth, as far as a second part is concerned.

LupusDei said:
I agree, This should've had at LEAST a side scrolling scene from behind an Eldar Seer, or SOMETHING to give a hint that what happened here isn't just another routine (I am aware it's not 'routine', just roll with it) patroll, and open it up for a part two, Preferably with better graphics.
And voice acting.
And more than three designs for the Space Marines faces.
Seriously.
The eldar being a mysterious bunch and often hidden out of sight wherever there is trouble to end any danger with a sneaky shot, so a slight hint to them being there would of been pretty fair. Did you also notice the fact that they couldn't make up their minds about how the space marines moved? In one instance they are trying to sprint and look to be struggling with the weight of heavy power armour and ordanance, and the next they are darting nimbley across destroyed bridges and cliffs. Bizaaaarreeeeee.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
Is it just me or do the space marines in the movie look...old? I know they arent always young like the main character from the DoW 2 game but geeze they look like old men in giant suits of armor. And I know this may seem a little nit-picky but where are the service studs?

kalt_13

Veteran n00b
Sep 14, 2008
I watched the movie expecting it to be bad, thankfully it wasnt as bad as i was expecting.....which is kind of a win i guess.

I saw the graphics early in the process so i knew they would be rubbish, I was more disapointed with the audio dropping out in places.

The story wasnt that bad, then again i like Abnett's style.

Scytail said:
Is it just me or do the space marines in the movie look...old? I know they arent always young like the main character from the DoW 2 game but geeze they look like old men in giant suits of armor. And I know this may seem a little nit-picky but where are the service studs?
the old guys confused me as well, i would of prefered a more grizzled veteran look. They definatly should of had the studs.

LupusDei said:
I fear this may be Dan Abnett's infulence creeping in and may of been better written by a senior member of Games Workshop.
are you refering to the stupidity of the blood pact? As for the senior member of GW, any sugestions? Tho I'm sure they just got Abnett since his name would sell more than most of black libarys authours.

LupusDei

Jan 7, 2011
The generally stupidity of the actual space marine characters in question, they just seem so rookie its unreal and I might be getting it wrong but I thought space marines that hadn't actually fought in combat yet started as scouts? Not fully fledged space marines. As for the games workshop senior I have no idea, just doesn't feel real warhammer 40k in someway :/

kalt_13

Veteran n00b
Sep 14, 2008
fair enough.

Unfortunatly the collecters ed. did come with a comic explaining that they were just promoted from scouts dont remeber the reasoning, but there is no valid reason for someone to have to read the comic to make sence of the movie.

I was discussing the feel of the movie with a mate after watching it and the best we could think of, was that it was lacking an epic battle.

LupusDei

Jan 7, 2011
There wasn't one huge epic battle, but it did have a rather nice handful of decent skirmishs I guess you could call them, especially when the captain towards the end. That bit was probaly the most enjoyable.

Jul 22, 2009
I went to see this at the premier (Hooray for Twitter competitions!) and I really did enjoy it, I hope it did well enough to warrant a sequel, cause all it really needs is to be bigger.

The animations was sub-par, but yes they were to do with the budget given to them and some fight scenes felt tedious.

But all in all a good attempt, I hope to see a smattering of Eldar next time though... maybe some Hawks of the Swooping variety.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Scytail said:
... The frak are you talking about? They had service studs! Captain Severus had one, Apothecary Pythol had two, and Chaplain Carnak even had three! How could you possibly have missed them?!
And most of Ultima Squad was young; only the 'leaders' and the Imperial Fists were older warriors, and it makes sense for them to look older, because despite their semi-immortality as Astartes, they are still subject to the process of aging, which is described in almost every novel you'll find out there.

LupusDei said:
One thing Im sure most will notice straightaway is the fact that though the sound effects in terms of impact and quality may be nice, the graphical detail and animations themselves are most definately not.
The entire film from this point on will be subject to less enjoyment because of the budget, which is a little dissapointing considering the size of the Warhammer franchise. Armour looks cheap and plastic and about as defensive as a packet of paper tissues, faces are blank showing no signs of intelligent life or expression and movements also look somewhat robotic and easy considering they are carrying roughly an adult elephant's weight of equipment on their backs.
Yeah, the facial animation at least is painful to look at in some places, but what did you expect them to look like with the kind of budget Codex Pixtures had to work with? Despite the humongous size of the W40k franchise, these guys had to scrape the money together from a lot of private donors etc, simply because GW didn't give them so much as a nickel; they just looked at the proposal, deliberated over it a bit and then gave CP the green light on the project, but NO funding.
As for the armor: It's all in accordance with the fluff. It's not supposed to look all shiny and metallic because it's not metal, it's ceramite, and the fact that ceramics are a component in this material explains the matte/dull appearance. And yes, Marines really are that limber in their armor, because despite its massive weight it doesn't actually slow them down while it's powered by a fusion cell (in the backpack module), but augment their physical prowess; the armor is stuffed with a fuckton of servos to enhance strength, speed and agility.

Oh yeah, and you mentioned Ultrasmurfs being bland. I agree, actually; unfortunately, seeing how this is the first movie in the franchise, they had to go with vanilla, and Smurfs are about as vanilla as it gets for Space Marines. No sense in trying to cram complicated chapter lore down the throats of an audience that's potentially new to W40k in general; they had to stick to the basics on this one.

Elochai_IV said:
Yes, the graphics are not up-to-date. You know why? Because they didn't have the money for it. You're comparing this movie to the DoW intro cinematics? Those were made by a specialized company and cost about 8 million dollars a piece to produce. I can't stress this enough: with more funding, the movie would have looked better, but they simply didn't have it.
As for the story: It's 'by the book', yes. That's unfortunately a necessity for the first movie of a franchise - despite it being aimed at a core audience, a movie is always designed to appeal to a broader spectrum of viewers, and as such they needed to keep it simple, because even basic stuff such as power armor and Chaos taint are completely new ground for parts of the audience.