Uncharted Movie Director Responds to Fan Criticism

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
WanderFreak said:
I'm quite looking forward to this.

I'm probably one of the few people who like videogame movies BECAUSE they don't just adapt the game to the screen. I don't want to watch the game, I play the game. Why would I just want to sit and watch the game condensed into a couple of hours? People complain about the cut scenes in Metal Gear Solid, but God help you if you change a single detail of it when you make the movie. So, what, you can complain about the same things?
My problem with this mentality is that how is it only exclusive to games? It's like saying you don't want to see a film because you already read the book it was based off.

OT: I've got $50 saying this movie will be absolutely awful.

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
No, Russel... I don't have to trust you. You, as a writer/director seem to think that a game, based on action movies, and written like an action movie needs to be changed to be more movie like. Are you kidding me? I mean yeah, the parts in the Uncharted games with the supernatural things was kinda silly... but honestly, a family that polices the trade of antiquities sounds even more ridiculous than that. Also, they already made that movie, in fact they made two. Two! The world doesn't need another one. Stop changing the characters and their motivations for no reason.

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
Logan Westbrook said:
Uncharted Movie Director Responds to Fan Criticism
]Director David O. Russell says that fans of the Uncharted games are just going to have to trust him.
Fans of Uncharted say, "no."

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
What the hell? What is it with hollywood tha the second they get a great video game, they have to do the one thing we BEG them not to, and that is, CHANGE THE STORY! What the hell is wrong with you? If they made an episod 7 of Star Wars where Leia and Luke turned out werent brother and sister- and they hooked up, how do you think fans of the series would react? This is the same BS they pulled with the Bioshock movie, wanting to take out the Little sisters and big daddies because they would cost more to make. When will hollywood learn that you wont make a good video game movie, until you follow the story?

ineedscissors

Oct 24, 2009
Remind me again why people keep feeling the need to make movies out of video games? It's not like they're books, where a film or television adaptation would help a book reach a whole new audience that maybe doesn't like to read. You know who goes to watch video game movies? People who played the video game, and are subsequently pissed off by all the changes that were made to it, or how otherwise crappy it is compared to the original game. Why? Because video games are already an audio-visual medium that is within itself complete, which means that making a movie adaptation (another audio-visual medium) of one brings absolutely nothing to the table. The only form of video game movie that makes any kind of sense to me has these (and all of these) qualities:
1. Has to be a CG movie, and if the game had good graphics, made in a similar style.
2. Has to be written and directed by people who were involved in the making of the original game.
3. Cannot simply be a rehash of a story that was already told in the game. Therefore, remakes are unacceptable. Only sequels, prequels, and inter-quels (if that's a word) are allowed.