Under what circumstances would you become a Mercenary?

Leonartheinsane

Jun 20, 2011
Ramare said:
I have no problem killing my fellow man. I have no problems with hitting, or even killing, members of the opposite sex. And I fucking hate kids.

The only thing I won't do is invading large countries. Not only would that be insane to attack, say, America, but that is a little too comically evil for my tastes.
So killing kids, beating women is no problem, but attacking America. God no... far to evil? So as long as the kids and women are not American you're okay to beat/kill them?

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Zyst said:
Now, I'm not even taking "no" as a real answer, because EVERYONE has a price. And I mean EVERYONE.

So under what circumstances would YOU become a Mercenary, I'm talking a War Mercenary, or maybe even Special Operations.

I'm guessing I'd become one if I got really good payment, and ease of going back to my "home" (wherever I live) whenever I didn't have an assignment.

How about you?
EVERYONE is not a murderer. So I'm afraid you'll have to take no as a real answer.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
Vault101 said:
Zyst said:
Vault101 said:
pretty insane/fucked up cirsumstances since Im pretty sure I would make a rubish mercenry

"guys stop shooting!! those guns are too LOUD!! where are my earplugs?"

also my moral code tend to lean towards balck and white

"why do we have to shoot thease people?...cant we just talk to them?"

plus Im pretty sure they dont hire chicks
Actually you can bet your ass that they probably have a higher Guy:Girl ratio than the army, including infantry and such.
wait are you saying there would be more girls doing it? why do you think that?
First of all, it opens up a lot of the boundaries that usually block women from fights. The army, for instance usually doesn't let women fight alongside the men, there was a huge post about this, but basically it fucks with morale in many ways; On the other hand, private security usually hires people with some experience. While the Male:Female ratio is still higher on the Male side, probably by a league, Females CAN work as bodyguards, snipers and many other jobs which usually hold a stigma.

I'm not saying that women are better shots than men; in fact, all the world records for shooting are held by men except for:

HIGH POWER LONG RANGE
1) Sherri Gallagher (Woman)

Which is pretty cool when you think about it, but still, women are usually just as capable as men for shooting, and a really good woman shooter is leagues ahead of an average male shooter, the difference is usually minuscule.

Private Military Companies thus allow them to fight in what is usually a sexist environment more easily. Thus, I think the male to female ratio would be higher. Also, the sites for many PMCs openly recruit women as well as men.

Then again, I don't really have a source, this is merely speculation.

Sorry for the long rant.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
I'd need to know the job and have a good amount of sources telling me what I'd be about to do.

They'd have to provide everything and allow me to test it out ahead.

As much money as I'd need.

sora91111

Dec 10, 2010
Really, this is kind of tough for me because from my standpoint I see mercs from games. The honest truth is mercs, assassins, and yes even pirates kill for one thing, and that's their paycheck. Me, If you were to see me on that battlefield I'd be the medic.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Since I'm broke and my self-esteem is through the floor, I'd probably join a mercenary company at this exact moment in time.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
funguy2121 said:
Zyst said:
Now, I'm not even taking "no" as a real answer, because EVERYONE has a price. And I mean EVERYONE.

So under what circumstances would YOU become a Mercenary, I'm talking a War Mercenary, or maybe even Special Operations.

I'm guessing I'd become one if I got really good payment, and ease of going back to my "home" (wherever I live) whenever I didn't have an assignment.

How about you?
EVERYONE is not a murderer. So I'm afraid you'll have to take no as a real answer.
I honestly believe that everyone is a murderer at heart. After centuries of relative peace we have grown more tame, some more than others; But I believe that when it comes down to it, every single man and woman is capable of murder, be it in self defense or otherwise. And I do think that once the first kill is drawn, none of the consecutive ones will as hard. And many people do acquire a taste for killing. But I digress, still, if you were a Merc fighting say, Zombies. Wouldn't you do it?

Let me answer for you: Fuck Yeah.

Why? Because you are avoiding killing because of moral qualms, but oh! Zombies are not alive, they're merely a shell of what used to be a man, a woman, a lover. I'd like to take this chance to link to this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/8387-Extra-Punctuation-Why-We-Love-Zombies

Since I feel it fits quite well. At least down on a primal level, I'm pretty sure everyone is capable of murder. Perhaps even you would do it if you found your life at risk? After all, we do have a pretty strong self-preservation sense. WE are not a flock of sheep that would wait to be slaughtered. WE would fight to our last spit breath before dying in complacency. So yes, I think even WE would fight to protect our lives, even if it meant being a mercenary.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Richardplex said:
Watch me say no. I'm not afraid of death nor dying if I don't have a purpose, nor would I end another's life so someone else may live. I'm indifferent and a horrible person, but I don't have the balls to personally end another's life.
Gudrests said:
MisterDyslexo said:
To price to buy a cyanide pill or bullet to make my life as a mercenary as short as possible.

Mercenaries are perhaps the greatest scum to exist. I'd rather die.
That's a pretty misguided statement considering that are currently employed in YOUR country and help take money off of taxpayers. Besides that they allow for work that the military simply cannot do because of boundaries.
To quote Mass Effect 2: "I don't trust anyone who owes their loyalty to their next paycheck". I wouldn't call the army mercanaries, not to go into my thoughts about it but they have loyalty to the country they serve. Mercenaries by definition don't.
Well no the army arent merc's but company's like blackwater(think thats the name) and such are. Most of what they do is protection for peoples here and in other country's. For example Saudi Arabia'n govt is only allowed so many trips here with secret service protection. Merc groups would be with them all other times. Same for business deals that are in country's like that where they are nervous about the outcome, "peace missions" among other things are done by them alot. Really you could just say its any company in which are hired gun's to do someone's work in said country.....It's a business.

Electric_Sunshine

Jul 6, 2011
All my friends get a happy life and you can point me in the direction you want as long as they live a happy life from when I get sent out to when they die.

Combined

Sep 13, 2008
If I get enough money, the firearms I'd want, my army gear or an exact reconstruction and position as squad leader. ...And my precious explosives.

What? I don't have any sort of quandaries with being a mercenary. Sounds like kind of an interesting job, too.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zyst said:
funguy2121 said:
Zyst said:

How about you?
I honestly believe that everyone is a murderer at heart. After centuries of relative peace we have grown more tame, some more than others; But I believe that when it comes down to it, every single man and woman is capable of murder, be it in self defense or otherwise. And I do think that once the first kill is drawn, none of the consecutive ones will as hard. And many people do acquire a taste for killing. But I digress, still, if you were a Merc fighting say, Zombies. Wouldn't you do it?

Let me answer for you: Fuck Yeah.

Why? Because you are avoiding killing because of moral qualms, but oh! Zombies are not alive, they're merely a shell of what used to be a man, a woman, a lover. I'd like to take this chance to link to this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/8387-Extra-Punctuation-Why-We-Love-Zombies

Since I feel it fits quite well. At least down on a primal level, I'm pretty sure everyone is capable of murder. Perhaps even you would do it if you found your life at risk? After all, we do have a pretty strong self-preservation sense. WE are not a flock of sheep that would wait to be slaughtered. WE would fight to our last spit breath before dying in complacency. So yes, I think even WE would fight to protect our lives, even if it meant being a mercenary.
hmm a very interesting veiwpoint

there was also that "shuld women be able to fight on the front lines" debate in Australia a while ago, and before that the unfortuneate sex scandal

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
When I can regenerate health, call in airstrikes at a whim and have a sassy female Auzzie support agent as a back-up, then I will be a Mercenary.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Gudrests said:
Richardplex said:
Watch me say no. I'm not afraid of death nor dying if I don't have a purpose, nor would I end another's life so someone else may live. I'm indifferent and a horrible person, but I don't have the balls to personally end another's life.
Gudrests said:
MisterDyslexo said:
To price to buy a cyanide pill or bullet to make my life as a mercenary as short as possible.

Mercenaries are perhaps the greatest scum to exist. I'd rather die.
That's a pretty misguided statement considering that are currently employed in YOUR country and help take money off of taxpayers. Besides that they allow for work that the military simply cannot do because of boundaries.
To quote Mass Effect 2: "I don't trust anyone who owes their loyalty to their next paycheck". I wouldn't call the army mercanaries, not to go into my thoughts about it but they have loyalty to the country they serve. Mercenaries by definition don't.
Well no the army arent merc's but company's like blackwater(think thats the name) and such are. Most of what they do is protection for peoples here and in other country's. For example Saudi Arabia'n govt is only allowed so many trips here with secret service protection. Merc groups would be with them all other times. Same for business deals that are in country's like that where they are nervous about the outcome, "peace missions" among other things are done by them alot. Really you could just say its any company in which are hired gun's to do someone's work in said country.....It's a business.
I go by 'If you can buy someone out and make him/her go against the very people they were serving before, they're mercanary scum'. Private american companies aren't exactly going to be terrorists if they got offered lots of money, so I wouldn't call them true mercaries, as they owe their loyalty to more than their next paycheck.

BrokenCycle

Mar 31, 2011
I'd probably only become a mercenary when their is anarchy running around or if the world was similar to the wild west or if the world was similar to the anarchy and freedom of a post-apocalyptic world, kind of like the Fallout series. other then that i probably be able to find a better job and make more money a different way

Ramare

Apr 27, 2009
Leonartheinsane said:
Ramare said:
I have no problem killing my fellow man. I have no problems with hitting, or even killing, members of the opposite sex. And I fucking hate kids.

The only thing I won't do is invading large countries. Not only would that be insane to attack, say, America, but that is a little too comically evil for my tastes.
So killing kids, beating women is no problem, but attacking America. God no... far to evil? So as long as the kids and women are not American you're okay to beat/kill them?
First of all, I said hitting, not beating. I don't uphold the normal male stereotype of not being able to hit a girl, that's all I said. And yeah, if the enemy has femme troops, their asses are as fair game as the dudes, as far as lead poisoning goes. Kids too.

Second of all, I said attacking America was insane, not evil. And when I used the word "evil" it had the word "comically" next to it for a reason. It just seems so idiotically brash to attack America that, assuming this is in real life we're talking about, it'd make me feel like I'm in a facking video game, it's so arbitrarily stupid. Superior numbers to the tune of the SEALs, USMC, Army, as well as the fact that I guarantee one sixth of America could and would act as minute men, SWAT, Police, PMCs, and even maybe other mercs if they get desperate; superior weapons, vehicles, communications, and all-around technology; and, on top of all of that, they're allies with almost every big-league nation there is, as well as a member of NATO.

I said comically, because my employers would have to be fucking super villains to be stupid enough attempt to overthrow America, and I would have to come down with a serious case of mook stupidity to not go "Yeah, good luck with that. I quit." when they seriously suggested that we attack fucking America.

And, actually, I'm more likely to give a shit about attacking people from countries other than America, since I was born and raised here, and hate everyone. I know that the "stupid American", or even the "every American is a douche" stereotypes aren't true, but some people make you want to strap C4 onto that notion, and throw that notion off of a bridge...