Underappreciated Literature Gems

Girafro

Apr 30, 2010
AngloDoom said:
Before anyone else says it: Twilight.
I sincerely hope you aren't serious. If anything, it is far over appreciated. It's bland, tired, unoriginal, and boring. I could get into some more, real, details, but I don't want to waste my time. It's rubbish and that's all there is to it, if you want to read it, that's fine, if you enjoy it then okay, but it isn't worth anything greater than entertainment, it does nothing for literature that hasn't already been done a million times by severely better authors in much better works.

As for the topic at hand, I'm going to throw in Neuromancer. Book is brilliant, the defining book for cyber punk.

Apocalypse Tank

Aug 31, 2008
Hubilub said:
"The Long Ships" by Frans Gunnar Bengtsson.

It's well-known in Sweden, but more people need to read it! It's about the viking Red Orm and his adventures over the world.
*wipes away tears*

I thought.... I thought I was the only one....
Yes, that book is a definitive piece of literature both in terms of the Viking Culture and the Saga format.
It should be mandatory reading in Scandinavian institutions of learning.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
1984, more people should seriously read it,

Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King, one of his less popular books, in fact quite alot of his fans don't like it, I thought it was great though.

PeppersResort

Dec 30, 2009
To the person who said his friends had never heard of Ayn Rand: You need smarter friends.

I enjoyed Anthem, despite the fact that Ayn Rand is a social eugenicist twat. The writing style was bold and clear, and the thoughts were strong and well laid-out.

I'm reading "The Woman in White" by Wilkie Collins, and I'm quite impressed with how fair-minded and open the characters are, since I normally despise Victorian-era writing with the fervour people usually reserve for Uwe Boll films. Also, the author did not drag out one single aspect of the plot till you got bored of the whole mystery and pitched it into the nearest recycling or Goodwill bin.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Quaxar said:
"Epic" by Conor Kostick
For all the people not knowing it: basically how it's like in a whole society of WoW players. They sort out all RL differences by fighting in their game arena, pay with gaming money, etc.
I read that. Freaking great. I still haven't read the sequel or the threequel.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Girafro said:
AngloDoom said:
I sincerely hope you aren't serious. If anything, it is far over appreciated. It's bland, tired, unoriginal, and boring. I could get into some more, real, details, but I don't want to waste my time. It's rubbish and that's all there is to it, if you want to read it, that's fine, if you enjoy it then okay, but it isn't worth anything greater than entertainment, it does nothing for literature that hasn't already been done a million times by severely better authors in much better works.

As for the topic at hand, I'm going to throw in Neuromancer. Book is brilliant, the defining book for cyber punk.
I'm quite sure the whole "Twilight" thing was intended to be sarcasm.

More on topic, I'm not sure which books would be under-appreciated. Overall, reading isn't exactly a popular activity in modern world, or so it seems. And looking at smaller interested groups would kind of defeat the purpose.

I'll agree with you on Neuromancer, I loved that book as well.

I guess I'll have to throw in another favorite. Dune. Frank-ly, I don't think it's that under-appreciated given it's status among many fans of hard science fiction... But, eh, whatever, same thing kind of applies to Neuromancer which is heralded as THE cyberpunk novel sometimes.

Girafro

Apr 30, 2010
Billion Backs said:
I guess I'll have to throw in another favorite. Dune. Frank-ly, I don't think it's that under-appreciated given it's status among many fans of hard science fiction... But, eh, whatever, same thing kind of applies to Neuromancer which is heralded as THE cyberpunk novel sometimes.
Your pun-fu is mighty.

I fear I must agree on your point about the popularity, or lack-there-of, of reading. Hell, I study English literature and I barely read when I don't have to, hahaha.

Frank Herbert is a great author, have you read Hellstrom's Hive?

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
'New Dead' and 'The Strain'
I love me some good zombie/freak vampire litterature :D

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
'The Edge Chronicles' by Chris Riddell and Paul Stewart. The story is grim but amazingly imaginative and the artwork is stupidly good.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Girafro said:
Billion Backs said:
Your pun-fu is mighty.

I fear I must agree on your point about the popularity, or lack-there-of, of reading. Hell, I study English literature and I barely read when I don't have to, hahaha.

Frank Herbert is a great author, have you read Hellstrom's Hive?
I'm afraid I haven't, yet.

I've only recently started reading his novels... Despite seeing the 1984 Dune movie numerous times as a kid and being a huge nerd when it comes to reading, specifically hard science fiction and some forms of fantasy.

I'm afraid I'm starting to go off-topic now. Might have to resort to PM's.

To add another interesting books, although perhaps not so much under-appreciated seeing how it has received some serious awards not unlike quite a few books suggested in this thread...

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin. It's interesting to see how many great works of science fiction were written in the 60s. To my knowledge, Ursula Le Guin isn't a very well-known writer despite having written a number of award-winning science fiction and fantasy stories.

I have to thank the Earthsea trilogy I owned as a kid for introducing me to this great author. While some of her works are of questionable quality, I'd say The Left Hand of Darkness is one of the best. It's a science fiction novel set mainly focusing on directly societal questions instead of technological ones which provides an interesting read.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
"The Last Vampire" by Christopher Pike. It is the only series that I've been able to finish as quick as I did. Ended up reading all 6 books in only a few hours. It drew me in like no other.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
TheFacelessOne said:
Quaxar said:
"Epic" by Conor Kostick
For all the people not knowing it: basically how it's like in a whole society of WoW players. They sort out all RL differences by fighting in their game arena, pay with gaming money, etc.
I read that. Freaking great. I still haven't read the sequel or the threequel.
Me too. I just stumbled across them yesterday, I didn't even know the book had sequels.

Aug 25, 2009
Artemis Fowl.

It's nowhere near as popular as it should be. It should be even more appreciated than Harry Potter and the Twilight series combined.

FACT

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Girafro said:
AngloDoom said:
I sincerely hope you aren't serious.
Of course I am, don't worry. I know it's hard to portray irony through the internet buuut: Twilight is awfully written and has the worst pacing of a book I've ever read. That said, I like how it actually tried to play with the conventions a bit, and I find it clever how it targeted a certain group of people, accidentally or not, and became a huge deal practically over-night.

MelasZepheos said:
Artemis Fowl.

It's nowhere near as popular as it should be. It should be even more appreciated than Harry Potter and the Twilight series combined.

FACT

Also: too true.

Gilligan7767

Apr 11, 2010
Jamieson 90 said:
Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King, one of his less popular books, in fact quite alot of his fans don't like it, I thought it was great though.
ClassicJokester said:
House of Leaves.
Mindfuck of a book, that.
These. Also, Stephen King's Dark Tower series, anything by Philip K.Dick (A Scanner Darkly was brilliant but seems to be ignored despite the movie), and Apathy and Other Small Victories by Paul Nielan (absolutely hilarious, drive to your local bookstore and buy it now).