Underrated Disney Movies.

Nov 28, 2007
I third The Great Mouse Detective. You basically have Vincent Price playing Professor Moriarty! How can you go wrong?

That's not tempting fate, by the way, because The Great Mouse Detective is a great movie, and definitely lives up to its inspiration. Plus, Vincent Price is a great villain.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
THE GNOME MOBILE, THE GNOME MOBILE

HUNTING FOR GNOMES IN OUR GNOME MOBILE

SOONER OR LATER WE FEEL THAT WE'LL

FIND WHERE THEY ARE IN OUR GNOME MOBILE

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
I'm tempted to say "The Black Cauldron," but Gurgi needed to stay dead, so I'd say the ending ruined it.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Bolt, many people forget that was a Disney movie. It was teased as a super-powered dog that fight crime, when it actually was the dog version of The Truman Show.

I am tempted to say Chicken Little, which is Disney making a Dreamworks movie, but people feel the movie is too mean-spirited as it deals with bullying, harassment and family rifts in a kind of clunky way, and there is a solid 15 minutes dedicated to a subplot that goes absolutely nowhere, but if you want something fairly solid it got you covered.

Tarzan, the movie people claim the soundtrack is better than it, but there is enjoyment to be had, but that may depend on the voice acting, because I watched in other language and I've heard horrors about the casting.

The Prep & Landing specials, do those count as movies?

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
bartholen said:
James Woods is downright iconic as Hades
Watching Disney movies with subs instead of dubs is the ultimate sin, yo.

I haven't actually seen most Disney movies since the time it was a big priority to see them (10+ years ago), and so I can't really comment. Like, the last time I saw Mulan in its entirety was in the theaters when it came out. Same for Treasure Planet. And Tarzan (though I've played through the game multiple times). Hercules we had on videocassette.

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

Just cause no ones mentioned it yet.

The beginning is quite funny but the ending is very scary, at least to seven year old me.

"Odds bodkins gadzooks look at that old spook of spooks!"

BaronVH

Oct 22, 2009
The by far most underrated is Princess and the Frog. Great story, villain, setting, music, etc. Have no idea why this is as omitted as much as it is.

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
Are Robin Hood or Dumbo underrated?
The Horned King from the Black Cauldron looks cool, but the rest of the movie... I mean, a pig with the power of prophecy? really? And Gurgi?

bartholen said:
OT: I don't think Hercules gets as much credit as it deserves. Sure, as a movie it doesn't really work, the script is full of problems, the plot makes little sense, there's a lot of tonal whiplash and so on. But it has an utterly unique visual design among the Disney canon, it has great songs and a sort of nutty energy propelling it forward, the Hydra is a fantastic example of fusing CG with hand drawn animation (something which creators have problems with TO THIS DAY), James Woods is downright iconic as Hades, and Meg is a unique character in the Disney female pantheon in the sense that she doesn't really fit any one archetype: she's not a princess, a tomboyish warrior, a damsel in distress, a "girls can do it too" badass or a femme fatale. The closest you'd probably describe her is a Punch Clock Villain [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PunchClockVillain] as a love interest. I really like her character for that.
I can appreciate Hercules for trying something with its visual style, but I couldn't (as a greek myth nerd) approve of them using Hades as a villain. I mean Hades? the God with the least bit of drama in his life (besides the whole Persephone thing), the guy who was given the realm of the afterlife because he was such a trustworthy guy, that Hades as a villain? Even when I saw the movie in theatres as a child I admitted that they had to change the story but Hades? Why not Ares? The guy had a short temper, the other gods made fun of him (atleast once, when they captured him and Aphrodite doing it), he symbolised the savagery of warfare, he would have been a perfect villain!

I also liked how different Meg was compared to other disney female characters.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
American Fox said:
Candleshoe
Outside of my immediate family, I know of almost nobody that has even seen that movie!

It's a goodie! I especially loved the butler Priory and all the sentimental hijinks he got up to keep candleshoe running!

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
thebobmaster said:
I third The Great Mouse Detective. You basically have Vincent Price playing Professor Moriarty! How can you go wrong?
I dunno, I think he came off like a real rat in that one.