Undertale Review - The Pinnacle of Classic RPG Storytelling

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
No genre in any media will ever be "dead" as long as there is someone somewhere indie or not that actually cares enough in order to put some actual effort into what they are making. There will always be those that don't give a rat's ass about what they are making and are just looking for a paycheck, thus half assing everything and copy pasting whatever worked with the last guy that actually tried, but in the end there will also always be those who actually have the motivation and ability to innovate where everybody else is just lazying out, and that's where games like this come from.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
RedRockRun said:
Is it better than EarthBound?
I would say no, but primarily due to the budget difference between the games. It's a great game, but is noticeably lower quality in some aspects due to a small team of developers and available money.

Paul Bastin

Apr 27, 2013
Earthbound is a prettier and longer game. I found Undertale fits a lot more variety into a smaller package.

And of course, as the title of the actual review points out, it's main selling point is the storytelling where as Earthbound was somewhat lacking in that regard.

Undertale really only resembles Earthbound in a superficial way. The experience is quite different between them.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Coruptin said:
As for the turning mechanics on its head thing. Just don't take it personally. There are hundreds of books that might critize an aspect of the reader. It's not directed at you. It's a broad statement about society, or in this case videogames.
Indeed. This game is certainly enough of a love letter to games past that I can tell the creator doesn't personally despise video games that involve violence and the people who play them. (Which was more than I could say for Spec Ops: The Line, for instance; that game just incessantly beats you over the head with how deliberately un-fun it is and what an asshole you would are for even playing it.)

Just try telling that to the fans, though. Good lord! Go into the comments section on virtually any Let's Play that isn't doing a pure pacifist run and you'll find no end of people unironically calling the players horrible people IRL.

RedRockRun said:
Is it better than EarthBound?
Let me put it this way. Did you like EarthBound? Did you love EarthBound? Did you like EarthBound but wish you'd loved it? You should appreciate this if you answered yes to any of those questions, but especially the third one.