Underwhelmed by homeworld remaster

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
So homeworld remaster is coming out in a day or two and i'm getting it. It's a shame that they sort of just tacked on hd graphics and didn' really do an engine overhual. I would've loved to see it remade from the ground up, on a modern engine, so that they could fix scale issues. Interceptors hovering right next to your mothership should be waaaay smaller than they look, and a single interceptor purchase should be rebalanced to give you 40 smaller versions of said interceptor so that they are more in line with the hips population, and lighting should be overhualted as well. The exhuast tails are cute and served a purpose back when but without a doubt could be done better with modern technology.

TL;DR I wish the homeworld games were getting a 60 dollar overhual instead of just hd graphics tacked on and a bit of polish for a lower price.

anybody feel the same?

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Isn't it a $25 overhaul?

But yeah...a little more effort would be nice. Some surprises, maybe a new ship or two; hell even a mini campaign.

I feel like a remaster should be done by people who want to realize what the game could have been way back when...not just a prettier version. Hell, look at Black Mesa Source; it's non-paid work and it's way better than when Half-Life was released for the Source Engine.

If it's worth doing; it's worth doing right.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
Well...what did you expect to buy? It was obviously marketed as the old homeworld with a new skin. Don't be surprised at all that that's what you got, and I'd personally be annoyed if they did try and change things. Sure, homeworld could be done better I think with some iteration, but if you're selling nostalgia, you don't want to go far in changing things.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Oh hell no, there is absolutely no company that would remake those entire games anywhere close to what they were, we would probably end up with a god damn QTE shooter in the end with half the ships as DLC.
Also those games had their day and they are still playable as they were. If you want a modern game then a new one needs to be made, the old games aren't going anywhere but you also can't live on reheated meals until the end of time.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
It feels like I am the only one who is looking forward to version that has solved scaling UI and graphics problems, and thinks the rest of the game was awesome as as it was. Shame Cataclysm won't be done QQ.

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
I think they did it perfectly. Making and HD version of it and selling it via steam for thirty bucks.
From what I've seen the work they've put in is Amazing and it puts the game on par with anything (Graphically) coming out right now.

I've played HW2 and it kept me busy (Campaign alone) for at least thirty hours not to mention the Skirmishes and basically you get double that.
This will also show Gearbox that the IP they bought isn't dead and hopefully this will open the gates for more games. (I just hope the Original crew is kept around to assist.)

As for wanting more stuff, it's got Steam Workshop support and full modding tools; give it time and you'll see a lot of cool stuff on there.

Boris Goodenough said:
It feels like I am the only one who is looking forward to version that has solved scaling UI and graphics problems, and thinks the rest of the game was awesome as as it was. Shame Cataclysm won't be done QQ.
I join your QQ. Catclysm had a great story and a lot of cool ships. (Damnit I miss that damn Cannon)

Serinanth

Apr 29, 2009
Some one hasn't done their research, the engine has been enhanced from HW2 and integrated into HW1, so they have updated it.

As for the scale, that's your personal preference and it would not be true to the original game, it wouldn't be Homeworld. And the engine trails? If they messed with that I would have called bullshit, how could they have done better?

I am a little sad they removed the fuel mechanic, but they did put the sphere and wall formations back into HW2 which pleases me. I played Homeworld when it was originally released, I want the same experience but updated to 2015's capabilities and that's what (for the most part) I am getting... And a model of the Pride of Hiigara =D

I am one of the rabid fans that has been asking for this for a long time.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
EXos said:
I join your QQ. Catclysm had a great story and a lot of cool ships. (Damnit I miss that damn Cannon)
Sometimes I can get it to run on Win 7, if I am lucky... (remember to patch it). UI is a bit wonky on a 1440p minitor though.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
From what I've seen of Homeworld HD Gearbox has done a good compared to what the norm is for these sort of things especially on console. Gearbox could have just sold the original game with slightly tarted up textures but they remade the content including the animated cut scene and involved some of the original Relic devs. As a fan I couldn't wish for more, the HD versions look good we are getting the Shipbuilders game and Gearbox seem enthusiastic about making more games if viable.

the_dramatica said:
anybody feel the same?
Nope I like the originals the way they are, the trails are a known signature of the game and do a very good job of creating visible action of an interceptor battle. Remove the trails and build the ships to scale and the interceptors wouldn't be visible at normal camera distance, it would be like drones in the originals where we zoom in once or twice to admire the detail before zooming out to play at normal camera distance.

That's not to say I'm against the idea of a more realistic scaling in future games but it would require a lot more capital ships than the originals use to keep the battles feeling epic (just like all those Space Opera animes I've watched), also changing the gameplay to Total War in space.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Its a remaster, not a remake. So I'm honestly wondering why you expecte new stuff in the game.
I welcome the fact that it just gets polished graphics and support for modern systems. Never played the original games and this is a nice chance to play Homeworld after all.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Not sure I could disagree more. Interceptors being any smaller than they are in comparison to your mothership would just make controlling your units more difficult. Not sure what you would want to change about the exhaust trails, but they make things much easier to keep track of in combat.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Sorry but no. There are literally no similar RTS space games out there to this day that even come close to Homeworld imo. You don't just go messing around with a classic like that.

What I do hope to see is a port of the best mods out there for Homeworld. Like the Star Wars mod, which is probably the best strategic SW space game ever as well (althrough it really isn't even official).

The OP would also get his wish of smaller fighters then. As capital ships were truly huge in that mod.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I love the fact that they redid the audio, that is something most people wouldn't have bothered with, the game also looks gorgeous and the user interface has been improved. It's more then just given a new coat of paint in my opinion (from what I have seen, game isn't out here yet.) and could generate interest enough to perhaps give the genre the revival it needs.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
There is nothing wrong with the scale in Homeworld. In fact it's pretty darn accurate.
Does HW1 and HW:C have the same scaling as HW2? I'm more familiar with those 2 games and I always did get the impression that the fighter class are of a bigger scale than in that vid. IIRC the lore states that some of the smallest ships in HW:C are piloted by a group nicknamed "the war dwarves" due to normal height pilots been unable to fit in the cockpit.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
TrevHead said:
Soviet Heavy said:
There is nothing wrong with the scale in Homeworld. In fact it's pretty darn accurate.
Does HW1 and HW:C have the same scaling as HW2? I'm more familiar with those 2 games and I always did get the impression that the fighter class are of a bigger scale than in that vid. IIRC the lore states that some of the smallest ships in HW:C are piloted by a group nicknamed "the war dwarves" due to normal height pilots been unable to fit in the cockpit.
The remastered collection includes a menu option from Homeworld 2 for Homeworld 1 that put everything to exact scale. With the scaling disabled, fighters and corvettes are enlarged for easier selection on the tactical map, but with it on, they are tiny ass little ships.