Unexpectedly compelling/touching characters

Nwolfwood

Jul 14, 2009
I recently replayed starcraft and starcraft: brood war for the backstory in preparation for the upcoming sequel and i discovered something that i had not been anticipating. I could really connect with Jim Raynor. I know that I am not the first person to say he is a very endearing character but I'll be darned if its not true! He was strangely human for a character in an RTS and has a lot more personality than many of the leads in some high-end games *cough*Marcus Fenix*cough*.

So, my question is thus: have you come across a character you found unusually compelling in a place you had not expected one to be?

And just for the record, I'm not ragging on Gears of War, I enjoy the game, I'm just saying the protagonist is about as compelling as a moving pile of cinderblocks.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
The goo balls in World of Goo. They don't even have full faces, so why the hell do I feel sorry for leaving some behind?!?

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Test Subject Kim from Portal don't ask why she just was...

Win Laik Pya

Dec 4, 2009

Unexpected because it's a fucking video game.

Ok, that's not fair.

I'll pick a better one.

Rachel Alucard. badass Loli vampire? Reason enough to play her.

But in story mode she's got a very touching moment with Ragna. Why, i'm getting all choked up just thinking about it. You know what i'm talking about.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Win Laik Pya said:

Unexpected because it's a fucking video game.

Ok, that's not fair.

I'll pick a better one.

But in story mode she's got a very touching moment with Ragna. Why, i'm getting all choked up just thinking about it. You know what i'm talking about.
Dude, use spoilers.

Wounded Melody

Jan 19, 2009
Hope from FF13. I know a lot of people slam him for being whiny, but since I lost my father and recently almost lost my mother, I can really relate to how he feels. And I would probably be a LOT more whiny than him ><;

THEMILKMAN

Jun 16, 2009
Hope and Vanille in Final Fantasy 13. I really hated them in the beginning but they both got much more compelling later on. I still don't give 2 shits about Fang and I liked Lightning, Snow, and Sazh from the start.

Captain Karma

Apr 1, 2010
I have seen this topic in a few places online, and I pretty much always have the same answer. I tend to be moved a lot more by friendships and family than love stories. Part of it is probably being desensitized to the same romance done over and over again, and partly because I am such a big softie for the former two.

That being said, fucking Klonoa. The original game for PlayStation. It has been so long that I do not remember the details exactly but there were two moments. One of them had to do with his grandpa, though I am hazy on what it was. The other was a part where the title character and his best friend the entire game Huepow and being pulled apart. They try in vain to reach out to each other but fail and are ripped away, both screaming out. I swear I cried for hours.

one of them

Jan 16, 2010
When I started playing FFXIII I found Vanille extremely annoying but right around chapter 8 I let her backstory get to me.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
My main commander shepard from Mass Effect 1 and 2....although im guessing player made characters aren't really an option here.

In terms of non-player made characters it would have to be either Red XIII from Final fantasy 7 (Yeah, go ahead and sue me), simply due to just how interesting and different he was from the cast. And, also due to the fact Square Enix barely gives the poor guy any screen time.

I guess i sort of Connected with Caim from Drakengard, although that was simply due to the fact that he wasn't a stereotypical J-Rpg hero, and at times he came very close to blurring the lines between hero and villain. But i won't go into details about it.

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
Kratos. For a one note character, the actor,TC Carson, who voices him does a great job.
And the blobs from Loco Roco always make me feel bad when I feck up and lose a few.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Aidinthel said:
The goo balls in World of Goo. They don't even have full faces, so why the hell do I feel sorry for leaving some behind?!?
This.
And why is it so heart wrenching when one gets popped?

Lifefable

Mar 18, 2010
The big daddy in bioshock 2, I didn't think I had feelings for the big guy but in the end I felt like crying which for me is big because games/movies/stories/music rarely move me to strong emotions like that