Unexpectedly Good Games

Paddin

Sep 30, 2009
What games have you played which you know are bad, but enjoy nonetheless?

I used to be a sucker for hype, if I saw the movie and could afford it, I'd buy the game. Everyone else (including reviews) would tell me the game sucks, but I would still love it to pieces. I have had bad experiences with this type of thing, but my good experiences include:

Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest
(Loved the movie, loved the game, even spent hours saving up and buying the extra characters and weapons)

King Kong
(admittedly this wasn't a buy as I got it bundled with the PS2 but I really loved this game, it was great fun)

Avatar: The Last Airbender (and sequels)
(The zelda-like gameplay through me and, although short, was quite enjoyable)

So Escapist, have any games only you and noone else like?

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Paddin said:
King Kong
(admittedly this wasn't a buy as I got it bundled with the PS2 but I really loved this game, it was great fun)
I agree. I liked the King Kong game quite a bit, aside from the fact that it was too short and had zero replayablity.

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
Most indie games.

EDIT: And shattered horizon (yay for steams weekend goodness!)

Simon1

Feb 14, 2010
Mirrors edge. Though frustration nibbled at my heels due to its clunky free running system, it defnetly was fun and different.

WorthlessSix

Feb 19, 2010
Portal. XD I really didn't believe solving puzzles could be fun and I wouldn't let anyone convince me otherwise :p

Aerodynamic

Feb 23, 2009
I didn't expect much from Jak and Daxter games, Ratchet and Clank games, Sly cooper games, and inFamous at first, But goddamn, I find myself playing them constantly, got a lot more than I expected.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Oblivion for me. I know how popular and well-reviewed it is, but it remains the only first-person game (because 3rd person is barely usable in it) I've ever enjoyed playing.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
I went into Persona 4 thinking there was no way it could be as good as Persona 3, I was right but I was actually be able to enjoy it far more than I thought.

Small Waves

Nov 14, 2009
pantsoffdanceoff said:
I went into Persona 4 thinking there was no way it could be as good as Persona 3, I was right but I was actually be able to enjoy it far more than I thought.
I was really skeptical about P4 being better than P3 because P3 was already kick-ass, and when I played Persona 4, it shattered all expectations.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I expect all my games to be good, otherwise I don't buy them.

But, looking back on my puny optimistic self who bought games for the pretty covers I have to say I'm surprised Spiderman 2 still holds up as a great game. I still pick it up every now and then to swing around the city.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Mortal Kombat Deception, i have been always reluctant of MK games but since i learned playing this games because of my nephews and in order to unlock the unlockables i endedup up playing the history mode and discovering there's a lot of story on the game and that the arcade mode relates to the story. Besides it has a puzzle game, racing game and chess game.

McHampton

Jun 25, 2009
Demon's Souls.

I thought the combat looked like garbage through videos, but then I got my hands on it and played it like 4 times in a row. Partly for trophies, and partly because it was so damn fun.