Unfortunately Dead or Dying Series

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Anyone remember Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee and Godzilla: Save the Earth? Weren't they kick-ass despite never really taking off? If yes, then remember Godzilla: Unleashed? You know how that game effectively killed the Godzilla 3d fighters? If not here's why: fighting game on the Wii. Ever since then the series has been effectively dead, which is a shame because with the tech available to us now they could have been fantastic. So what examples do you guys have?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I would honestly consider paying sixty bucks for an HD remake of Godzilla:Save the Earth on PSN. I miss that game so much. War of the Monsters is fun, but nothing beats playing a huge monster instead of a large one. And War of the Monsters doesn't have Space Godzilla.

I'm sad to see the tycoon games dying. And by the tycoon games I mean Rollercoaster and Zoo tycoon. I spend so much of my time building parks and zoos in the first games of the series. I never managed to get my hands on Zoo Tycoon 2 or any rollercoaster game past the first one. But these series need reboots. Not on a mobile device or for Xbox, but for PC.

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. Honestly, this series REALLY fell under the radar. I tried to look up the soundtracks for all three games on youtube, and I couldn't even find the full ost for any, besides the first. They're fun action platformers, with some original gimmicks, and a setting not really seen in games (Australia, and yes, the accents are kinda sterotypical, but it only adds to the great humor), to make it feel unique. I'm just surprised these games don't have a slightly larger fanbase, or at least more recognition, considering the first game sold 1 million copies.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
delta4062 said:
Prince Of Persia. Wether it's the Sands Of Time
Regardless of my love for The Sands of Time story and its characters, I really would rather them not revisit that story for any future Prince of Persia games. There's nowhere to go after The Two Thrones, and there's really nowhere to go for a prequel game, and their attempt in The Forgotten Sands to fill in the gap between The Sands of Time and Warrior Within was painful even at the best of times. I'd rather them just stop messing up the story so that we only have one game that should basically be forgotten, at least from a story standpoint.

Elfgore said:
I'm sad to see the tycoon games dying. And by the tycoon games I mean Rollercoaster and Zoo tycoon. I spend so much of my time building parks and zoos in the first games of the series. I never managed to get my hands on Zoo Tycoon 2 or any rollercoaster game past the first one. But these series need reboots. Not on a mobile device or for Xbox, but for PC.
And now they are making RollerCoaster Tycoon go mobile...Oh well, we still have the first three games, and they are all available on GOG, so it isn't like I still can't play them if I ever wanted to.

Another franchise would be Medal of Honor. I still can't believe Danger Close so thoroughly blew their chances with the 2010 reboot and Warfighter that it completely destroyed the franchise. Allied Assault is still one of my favorite shooters (not just military shooters), and Pacific Assault had a surprisingly good character-driven story that they never did complete. The interviews about where they wanted to take the franchise after Airborne also seemed to show a lot of promise that would have certainly differentiated Medal of Honor from Call of Duty and Battlefield. The fact that the game right after Airborne was nothing more than a CoD ripoff was really disheartening, and knowing the franchise had a good basis for two completely different routes (either the more open experience of Airborne or story-driven experience of Pacific Assault) really only made it worse.

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
Liquidprid3 said:
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. Honestly, this series REALLY fell under the radar. I tried to look up the soundtracks for all three games on youtube, and I couldn't even find the full ost for any, besides the first. They're fun action platformers, with some original gimmicks, and a setting not really seen in games (Australia, and yes, the accents are kinda sterotypical, but it only adds to the great humor), to make it feel unique. I'm just surprised these games don't have a slightly larger fanbase, or at least more recognition, considering the first game sold 1 million copies.
I remember loving the demo I had for it on the PS2 but never got around to buying it. I was young at the time, had little money and there were many other games out there to get. :(

Never did end up playing the full games.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
I've always wished they had made a 3rd 'No One Lives Forever' game. The 2nd game left a few loose ends that I wanted to see wrapped up. Plus the games had a great blend of action, stealth, and comedy. Yes, comedy. Mostly listening to NPC conversations before kicking in the door to kill them but also the hilarious intelligence you could find.

Arean

Windwalker of Shaundakul
Apr 24, 2008
Suikoden. The world really needs more Suikoden, it's been 8 damn years.

The series have been mostly excellent, gaining praise from both critics and players. However, they haven't sold well at all, mostly because Konami could never be asked to properly market the damn things, and it seems now that they've just killed it off instead of trying any more.

Which is a shame, because again, the games are excellent. They're deep and complex, full of interesting characters and a fascinating internal mythology.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Quite a few. The Arc the Lad series was brilliant especially Twilight of the Spirits but got sunk by it's lazy cash in sequel To the Ends of the Earth and died as a result. It's pretty much the only RTS game series not made by Altus I actually care for all that much.

Robotrek, an old SNES game. I have yet to find even a spiritual sequel not to mention an actual one. It's a excellent Sci-fi based turn based RPG using robots the player builds and upgrades themselves as combatants with an interesting story that's neither too kiddy nor too dark, as well as being amusing at times.

That's all I got right off the top of my head.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
While not overtly parts of a bigger series, I liked the mythology behind ICO and Shadow of the Colosssus, and would've liked to see it expanded with The Last Guardian - which just isn't happening anymore, I don't care what Sony says. And even if it does, it's taken so long that Fumito Ueda is gone...

Silent Hill as well. Downpour received more or less positive reviews and it's relatively recent, but after the Book of Memories fiasco I can't help but think the franchise is dead as a doornail.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Arean said:

The series have been mostly excellent, gaining praise from both critics and players. However, they haven't sold well at all, mostly because Konami could never be asked to properly market the damn things, and it seems now that they've just killed it off instead of trying any more.

Which is a shame, because again, the games are excellent. They're deep and complex, full of interesting characters and a fascinating internal mythology.
Oooh! That's another one. My personal favorite is 5, though I haven't played the DS game yet.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Commandos. Loved these games. Then the developers thought making the game a first person shooter was a good idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commandos_(series)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Lords of Shadow may have recently had a new release but I would much rather see a new Castlevania that's separate from the LoS sub-series. The 3DS doesn't even have a non-LoS Castlevania and from what I remember of the two Castlevania games I played staring Soma (DS and AoS), in addition to general opinion, the 3DS is missing out on Castlevania games that range from really good to outright excellent. I realize I can play Dawn of Sorrow and later Castlevania DS games on my 3DS but there isn't a new addition for the 3DS yet and I'm worried Lords of Shadow may be Konami trying to subtly kill or cripple the Castlevania brand...HD console remakes/on-disc collections of previous-gen Castlevania games (Lament of Innocents, Curse of Darkness, Judgement etc) would also be greatly appreciated.

I'd love to see another Rampage game too...Why isn't there just a Kaiju (or, giant-angry-monster) sandbox game? Let us pick a monster, drop us into a 3D city and let us go balls-out nuts destroying everything and fighting other Kaiju, aliens and, the occasional Giant Fighting Robot.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Arean said:

Yes, I'd love some more Suikoden. As long as there's nothing like the goddamn boat in Suikoden 4. Hooooly shit, travelling by boat was a pain in the ass. Takes forever to go anywhere, as the boat goes at a snail's pace with random encounters every 5 seconds. Imagine Assassin's Creed: Black Flag with the Jackdaw being about as fast as how fast you can swim. At least you have Viki, but you can't teleport to some islands when there's plot about to happen there, so you're forced to go by boat.

Next time I'm replaying the Suikoden series, I think I'll actually just skip Suikoden 4.

Brown Cap

Jan 6, 2009
I loved the Resistance series for PS3 - the last installment could have been epic, but, in the words of GameInformer, is went out with a fizzle...
The game didn't make sense a lot of the times, the graphics turned almost cartoony, and the ending - well it just wasn't satisfying. I wish someone could have done a better job ending the series.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
As an older gamer, SOOOOOO many of these. Whole genres... just gone. Starfighter sims: X-Wing, Wing Commander, Freespace. Vehicular combat: Twisted Metal, Vigilante 8, Rogue Trip (didn't even get a follow up.) But my favorite missing series... the one I wish above all others I could have back in an updated version...

Tecmo's Deception. The first game was terrible, completely unplayable. The other 3 games all had big downsides: terrible stories, horrid translation, awkward controls and a unresponsive and awkward camera...

But FUN. You have to have alligator clips and a golf cart battery to have more fun. Taking down your opponents with Rube Goldberg/Wile E. Coyote traps and getting bonus points for making the kill long and painful. No better "stressball" games have ever been made.

Arean

Windwalker of Shaundakul
Apr 24, 2008
Denamic said:
Arean said:
Yes, I'd love some more Suikoden. As long as there's nothing like the goddamn boat in Suikoden 4. Hooooly shit, travelling by boat was a pain in the ass. Takes forever to go anywhere, as the boat goes at a snail's pace with random encounters every 5 seconds. Imagine Assassin's Creed: Black Flag with the Jackdaw being about as fast as how fast you can swim. At least you have Viki, but you can't teleport to some islands when there's plot about to happen there, so you're forced to go by boat.

Next time I'm replaying the Suikoden series, I think I'll actually just skip Suikoden 4.
Agreed, IV is by far my least favorite of the series, although I found it enjoyable. The thing that irks me is that V was just a better game, but sold much less than IV, and seems to be the reason they just stopped making them.

If they'd just release a HD Remaster pack of the earlier games, to test the waters and try to generate some awareness, I'm sure a 6th Suikoden could be a great success, what with all the other JRPG makers just forgetting how to make decent games anymore.

Hezz

Dec 17, 2011
I thought Advent Rising was a pretty good game. It was supposed to be a trilogy iirc, but it ended after just one game. A damn shame. It started off as a generic third person shooter, but then it turned into essentially Jedi Knight with great guns, great special powers, and pretty strong melee combat to boot.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
If I'm a bit upset that any franchises are dead, it's because they were rightfully milked out of existence. I love playing both Rock Band and Guitar Hero still to this day and it kinda saddens me that they're both deader than the souls of the people making horribly milked franchises. I also do kind of miss the Tony Hawk games, the GOOD ones, but that's getting a remake, albeit mobile. I guess Skate is the only series I'm upset doesn't exist anymore when it hasn't even been outrageously milked.