Unfortunately, I have some bad news. Total Biscuit seems to have had a cancer relapse...

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
God this fucking sucks, especially as he thought he'd finally beaten it too. Fuck cancer it's so fucking cruel.

And I keep thinking about his wife and son and how this will affect them. Wish them all the best.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Not the biggest TB fan in the world, but he has entertained me and I liked his work. This is a serious bummer. I hope a miracle saves him. Yet another thing for me to be depressed about.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Another fan chiming in. He's one of my favourite critics, not always on the nose perhaps and my tastes and his don't always align, but his way of looking at things, his analytical methods, really appeal to me. It's how I think, and I don't see that a lot in people. I guess that's why this bums me out so much. Damn, sounds so selfish. But I really hope he gets through it. Yeah, the averages and survival chance statistics are weighed down by elderly who don't have the physical strength to fight this. But TB's 31, which is way too goddamn young to get something like this but at the same time it gives him much more energy to fight this.

And to think he only just hit his stride again, makes it a real sucker punch to him and his family. I wish him all the best and I hope we don't lose him early. We need a critical, reasonable voice like his in the game industry, and most importantly; Genna deserves her husband, and Orion his stepdad.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Damn, I haven't watched his videos in years and disagreed with him on a variety of things but that is a really shitty situation to be in. I'm glad that he's being so optimistic and determined and definitely hope that things turn out for the best. With luck, new treatments will come about in the next few years that can help him beat it back.

I also really hope the trolls back off and leave him alone while he deals with this but as my grandfather liked to say, "If wishes were horses then beggars would ride."

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Trollhoffer said:
Our increasingly artificial lives appear to have some effect on cancer acquisition rates, plus the age groups as risk. People are getting cancer at earlier times in their lives. This might have to do with increasing medical awareness of cancer conditions, but it's also likely that our changing world influences this as well. We breath corrupted air, eat food with high preservative contents, live sedentary lifestyles, and shun sunlight. This provides our bodies with incentives to mutate in order to adapt, while lowering the likes of vitamin D content in our bodies that exist, in part, to help us fight infection. Between 11% and 25% of us are likely to develop some kind of cancer that requires medical treatment in our lifespans.
Actually, this is false. Cancer rates are comparable to what they used to be although there are some fluctuations. Lung cancer is decreased in some portions of the world due to awareness of the effect of smoking, ovarian cancer is on the decrease because of the HPV vaccine, colorectal cancer is quite high in some places due to intake of red meat. Diagnostics are improving, treatment is improving. Because of this more patients get diagnosed and more patients survive for a longer time.

"Preservatives" is such a bad word to use when blaming cancer. Vitamin C, salt, nitrate, nitrite benzoic acid are all preservatives. Some of them are suspected carcinogens, some are used more now than earlier, some (such as salt) is used far less. Sunlight on the other hand causes DNA mutations in your skin which can lead to melanoma which is actually quite aggressive as it often metastases. It does also cause vitamin D production as you said, but it's also a carcinogen so avoiding sunlight can't be blamed for this "increase" in cancer.
Our cells do not mutate in order to adapt. Every DNA replication mechanism has an error rate, some are error prone, some are very precise, but all of them make mistakes regardless of what environment you live in. Most mutations are bad for you so mutations are fixed. By a lucky accident some mutations are advantageous, but this is not something a cell or an organism does. Mutations simply exist.

Many of us, perhaps most of us, have had cancer and defeated it without knowing. Usually, the body's immune system will detect "foreign" influences and destroy them. This may have been over a period of days or even hours. Cancer is simply a natural mutation that runs right out of control, and in some cases, becomes a tumour (or tumours) that require operations, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and/or other treatments.
Again this is not strictly true. Your immune system is not efficient at detecting the difference between cancerous cells and healthy cells, although it can. Cancer cells offer difficulties because they are not strictly foreign, they are still your cells and display many of the same characteristics making them tricky. Our most important safeguard is in the cells themselves. Cells with bad mutations are often simply prevented from dividing because the cell cycle is regulated by several important checkpoints. If DNA damage is detected and it can't be fixed then a cell may go through apoptosis or enter an irreversible state called senescence. It's not referred to as cancer unless a malignant tumour arises.

I hope this clears up some things.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
davidmc1158 said:
Lightspeaker said:
Source: I'm a Doctor of Molecular Biology. Though as a disclaimer I'm not a cancer researcher (was working on blindness until earlier this year), if there are any around they'll know far more about it than I do.

The fact that his cancer was originally bowel cancer and is now in the liver is pretty much proof positive that its metastasized. It sucks to be honest, I'd been sincerely hoping that the poor guy had managed to get rid of it outright.
Out of curiosity, what is the likelihood of the material on his liver being a separate cancer entirely? I mean, if the spots on his liver come from a separate source and are not the metastasized cells from the colon cancer.

I have very little knowledge on the subject and am always asking question because of that curiosity.
As I understand it is uncommon to develop two primary cancers around the same time but not as unusual as you might expect. But given that they've already conducted tests and declared it inoperable I'd guess that they've already done tests to confirm metastasis.

vallorn said:
Here's hoping that things work out, it might be inoperable but it's not untreatable. The issue is the placement of the cancer, the liver processes a lot of the body's poisons into things that we excrete, everything from old blood cells to excess amino acids get broken down by the liver then excreted via the kidneys and bladder sometime later on. Because of that, the liver has a lot of bloodflow through it so if one of those small cancers starts releasing cancer cells into his bloodstream then things are going to go south very, very quickly.
He had colon cancer recently and based upon what info he's passed on it sounds like the liver cancer is secondary. Which means its metastasised already and is already spread throughout the body.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
Fuck this disease. This is awful news. Here's hoping he beats it a second time and lives a long, happy life.

I know he's said this a while back, but it's worth repeating: in lieu of donations to him personally, Bain asked folks to donate to charities like Bowel Cancer UK. http://www.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
Hope he gets better. Damn though, such bad news. Would be very unfortunate to see him go at such an early age.

Mazinger-Z

Aug 3, 2011
Exley97 said:
Fuck this disease. This is awful news. Here's hoping he beats it a second time and lives a long, happy life.

I know he's said this a while back, but it's worth repeating: in lieu of donations to him personally, Bain asked folks to donate to charities like Bowel Cancer UK. http://www.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/
Not to be a total downer, but barring medical breakthroughs, the cancer's broke containment, meaning cancer cells have traveled from the original site via the bloodstream and are everywhere, too small to see until it grows sufficiently. That the liver was the first to show up is no surprise as its got the best nutrients and blood flow through most of the body. The idea now is to maintain treatment to minimize its growth while maintaining a certain QoL. Hopefully there won't be an recurrence in places like his lymph nodes or brain.

Again, breakthroughs in the future aside, as the science stands now, it's just delaying things. There is, sadly, no beating it as of now. Just surviving as long as you can with it.

I'm attempting to paint a realistic picture here so people understand the gravity of his announcement. I'm tortuously fighting with the reality of it myself.

Some people are already attempting to get him information on clinical trials that deal with this type of metastasizing.

That all being said I hope he's an outlier. I hope he lives a good, long time. And I hope that we keep having medical breakthroughs that will allow him to live a long life.

ScaredIndie

Guy who makes gamey things
Oct 21, 2014
It's really sad that people have to go through this. I'm hoping some good can come of this in the form of some kinda of gamer charity to fund cancer research.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
Damn... what do you even say to something like this?

My best wishes go to TB, his family and loved ones.

Leoofmoon

Aug 14, 2008
Sadly from what I see and read about the kind of cancer he has its VERY rare to pull out of it alive. the cancer is inside his liver so this the cancer cells were being pumped though his blood stream, it's not they can't locate and kill the source it's that it's spreading everywhere in his body. I am really sad at this news and I am really hoping they find a cure, TB is one of the people who really opened me up to all the people on the youtube space and I learned a lot about gaming and Esports and such from it.

When he is gone there is gonna be a hole and I can already see a bunch of assholes wanting to shit in that whole. I already saw a bunch of angry Anita fans say "I hope the cancer takes you" all because Anita did not win a award. This kinds of people are very shallow individuals and only seek to pull others down instead of improving themselves.

Here's to TB and here's to all the content he makes.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Leoofmoon said:
When he is gone there is gonna be a hole and I can already see a bunch of assholes wanting to shit in that whole. I already saw a bunch of angry Anita fans say "I hope the cancer takes you" all because Anita did not win a award. This kinds of people are very shallow individuals and only seek to pull others down instead of improving themselves.
You have an entire forum in which to grind your axes against Ms. Sarkeesian and her hypothetical fans. A man is dying. If you're as big a fan as you appear to be, show some respect and don't use his circumstances as ammunition in an outrage Olympiad.

Leoofmoon

Aug 14, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
Leoofmoon said:
You have an entire forum in which to grind your axes against Ms. Sarkeesian and her hypothetical fans. A man is dying. If you're as big a fan as you appear to be, show some respect and don't use his circumstances as ammunition in an outrage Olympiad.
My gripe wasn't with her but her fans and unless you're missing the rest of my post I talk more about TB then her and even when I do again it's her FANS I talk about.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Fucking Christ. There's gotta be SOMETHING people can do to help. Donations to help with treatment payment? Anything!

*Sigh* I'm never going to get used to this. You can always let yourself forget the inevitability of death in your day to day life...but life has a way of reminding us, and it never fails to be a slap in the face.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Exley97 said:

He doesn't want to receive donations directly? All right. Fifteen bucks going in that diretion.

Capatcha: Stony-hearted. Oh fuck you Capatcha.

EDIT: Ok, question for anyone who can answer it, the donations take pounds. If I donate ten pounds will it take the American equivalent out of my bank account?

Leoofmoon

Aug 14, 2008
erttheking said:
Fucking Christ. There's gotta be SOMETHING people can do to help. Donations to help with treatment payment? Anything!
Sadly the issue isn't funding for a cure really its the location of the cancer itself. The liver inside the body as well as the heart have a lot to do with the blood inside a human body. The human heart pumps the blood and keeps things flowing while the Liver is the locations where many white blood cells are located and help filter and blood one's blood.

The problem with a cancer being in the Liver is that it now weakens the blood cells and attaches cancer cells to the blood that flows to the other parts of the body thus not only can cancer show up in the liver but it can begin to show in multiple locations at one time. I am not really sure how one can cure or treat this but the best I think can happen is that with TB's chemo treatment they can make it painless for them and as well cut it down to not being as aggressive as it should be or they can catch it early on and maybe give him a replacement liver or something.

I am really hoping out for my ladder and really hope TB comes out clean from this, I have seen far too many people I care for die and with his content there will be something missing from Youtube now.

The only medical thing I think we can do is... Nanomachines, son!

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I feel terrible for him. I don't feel my taste as gamer align with his, but his WTF is series are really good if you really want to see what a game is all about before you buy it.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
erttheking said:
Exley97 said:

He doesn't want to receive donations directly? All right. Fifteen bucks going in that diretion.

Capatcha: Stony-hearted. Oh fuck you Capatcha.

EDIT: Ok, question for anyone who can answer it, the donations take pounds. If I donate ten pounds will it take the American equivalent out of my bank account?
At least, that's what he tweeted last year. I have no idea if the situation changed and the costs from the current treatment are proving to be too much.

https://twitter.com/totalbiscuit/status/461864103821459456

I know that in the U.S. cancer treatment costs can run quite high, and health insurance carriers are prone to catagorize newer cancer treatments as "experimental" so they don't have to cover the expenses. For example, there's a new "miracle" treatment for cancer at Duke University that involves injecting patients' tumors with a modified version of the Polio virus to jumpstart the patients' immune system (there's an interesting 60 minutes episode on this if anyone is interested). The treatment is currently being reviewed by the FDA, but even if it gets approved, it will likely be a long time before insurance companies opt to cover the procedure, unfortunately.

And to answer your question about donations, I'm not sure how Bowel Cancer UK operates and if they accept US credit cards or PayPal or whatnot. Most major charities do. If that's the case with this charity, then your credit card/bank will make the appropriate currency coversion on the back end (rather than the charity making the conversion, which is usually a no-no).