Unhappy Shareholder Sues Activision Over Vivendi Buyback

thebakedpotato

Jun 18, 2012
Depending on how much I had at steak in the company. I might be pissed too. The discount could make the market value my shares lower. And the lack of a public offering to buy out or sell to other investors seems a little back handed.

Though I suspect that the investment firms will wait till a new bit of AAA titles are about to ship, then slowly unload their stock.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MinionJoe said:
Nevermind doing something sensible like selling your shares in a company you disagree with. No, let's sue the company and degrade the value of those shares. Dumbass litigious motherfuckers.
Yeah, how horrible to sue over an act of bad faith. Obviously, hating one dishonest, possibly illegal act and taking action is a bad thing.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
thebakedpotato said:
Depending on how much I had at steak in the company. I might be pissed too. The discount could make the market value my shares lower. And the lack of a public offering to buy out or sell to other investors seems a little back handed.

Though I suspect that the investment firms will wait till a new bit of AAA titles are about to ship, then slowly unload their stock.

In all seriousness, this could actually turn out to be something serious, or just another asshole who thinks that filing lawsuits automatically makes him entitled to free money.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I love how many people are missing the point of this...

Plaintiff is not upset with Activision's move to buy it's independence from Vivendi; he's upset that the board of directors is allowing Kotick to use company money to buy himself all of Vivendi's shares via an internal holding in his name.

They could always use company money to buy Vivendi's stock and then dissolve that stock's value into all other existing stock; a reverse-stock split using Vivendi's shares.

Edit* I have to ask; how many people actually learned how stock works in school? Were you all absent that day or did you not read the article before waiving the war flag to save Activision from Vivendi's greed?

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Rellik San said:
"HOW DARE THIS COMPANY WISH TO PROTECT ITS ASSESTS AND HUMAN RESOURCES BY BUYING THEMSELVES FROM UNDER A COMPANY THAT WANTS TO RUN THEM INTO THE GROUND! I'M GONNA SUE THEM FOR TRYING TO PROTECT THEIR INVESTMENTS AND IP!"

Sound business logic there.
No the sale is the event that will run them into the ground. This article pulled the old 5B value. It's actually 8B, and is twice the amount of money Blizzard has as Cash on Hand, 4B. It will result in them taking on massive debt in ether case. Any mistake, or a failure to replace WoW, or CoD when they run dry, and they already started, will kill the company. This lawsuit is one of the few things stopping Activision from being run into the ground by Vivendi.

TL;DR
You're cheering for the villains.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
If you don't like ethically questionable power grabs, you generally don't want to go too far into the stock market.

That said, Activision/Vivendi is all turning into an "everyone sucks" cluster of failure with every step.