Unicorn Overlord - Well isn't this unexpected

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I don't like Tactics games. Never have. I've tried FF-Tactics, Disgaea, and Agrest War games but I simply am too stupid to enjoy these RPG's. So every new tactics game that comes out, I automatically skip. Fire Emblem Three Houses gets massive praise, I dont care, I have a goopy monkey brain and I are can't tactic.

To further highlight this, there is a particular type of game that I really really enjoy, perhaps because it requires less brain power than breathing. Clicker/Idle games. A little guilty pleasure of mine but I have thousands of hours into Cookie Clicker and Clicker Heroes and several more completely nothing burger games.

Unicorn Overlord is both, and that's strange isn't it? So Unicorn Overlord is a tactics RPG sort of by Vanilaware the same people behind Dragon's Crowd and Odin's Sphere where are like side scrolling action RPG's with a very cool art style. This time they've dabbled themselves into the Tactics RPG, except not really. It's a tactical game for sure, in the sense that you command units on a field of battle to target specific enemies or strategic points on the map like an archer's tower or small base. You set up different bands of units consisting of 1-6 character classes each with strengths and weaknesses, which means you build different unit set ups to counter enemy units. Like any RPG these characters level up and you equip then with various piece of weapons and armor to enhance their stats.

However that's where it sort of stops. You see once your units get into a battle with an enemy, that battle plays out automatically and you have no control over the outcome beyond that point. Hopefully you've set your unit up for success and off they go. And this setup scratches a particular itch that I didn't even know I had. Battle's in which you don't outright kill all the enemy units you go back the the field map and the enemy unit will be stunned for a short time, if you re-engage with that stunned enemy you get a complete full round of attacks first regardless on your unit's speed so pressing a victory only further increases your advantage, but at the same time the enemy can do the same to you. If you lose the round, you're stunned and the enemy can and will punish you for it.

This goes back to why set up is important. Having specific units attack units that they are more effective against, having decent equipment, etc all ensure victory. However I'd say this comes at a bit of a cost in that once you start winning you gain level, and power advantage to the point where it's nearly impossible to loose.

Equipment goes pretty deep as well, as equipment will have specific abilties and tactics on them which when equipped add that tactic and skill to the character. Character's also learn abilities and tactics as they level up. Plus abilities and tactics can be programmed on each character to further customize and set up your units for victory much like the gambit system in FF12. Things like, "when a unit takes damage heal them." or "Jump in front and block an attack directed at a different character" etc etc. You can eventually get a full range of "gambits" on your characters to the point where their turn can result in them doing a ton of different things.

I like the systems in place because they start very very simple and ramp up naturally in adding new layers. But it's never overwhelming because the early layers are no longer relevant when youunlock layers above them. So you are always sort of building on top of the foundational gameplay without constantly having to worry about the foundation, which allows the game to give you new things to tweak without messing up what you've already established earlier.

I wasn't expecting to like Unicorn Overlord, but I'm glad I gave it a shot because it's pretty fucking good.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The system is based of the ogre battle series (well the SNES and N64 version) which had pretty similar system, there's also one game by the people who made disgeae that work that way and a recent indie game that I cannot recall the name of atm.

Anyway, would love to play it but they don't release there game on PC, so I guess I'll just keep my money.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
It sounds like the aim of this game is…being an overlord of the unicorns. I could get behind that.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
This genre is called autobattler btw. Quite a few of them floating around, manage rpg/equipment/tactical options prior to the action, then press go and see how it plays out.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Is Disgaea a tactics game? I thought it was a grinding game, as in I've leveled my character to 9999 3 times so now my stats are in the millions and a normal attack is the equivalent of dropping a train on a chipmunk.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Is Disgaea a tactics game? I thought it was a grinding game, as in I've leveled my character to 9999 3 times so now my stats are in the millions and a normal attack is the equivalent of dropping a train on a chipmunk.
Same dev, different game