Unicorn-Riding Kim Jong Un Game Still Releasing Despite Sony Hack

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Unicorn-Riding Kim Jong Un Game Still Releasing Despite Sony Hack

[kickstarter=884592321/glorious-leader]​
Moneyhorse Games isn't cutting back on its spoof of North Korea's Kim Jong Un.

The Interview won't be releasing in theaters, but Sony Pictures' decision to pull the movie has not affected Moneyhorse Games' satirical game about North Korea's Kim Jong Un. Moneyhorse Games is even more motivated to finish Glorious Leader!. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/glorious%20leader]

Kim Jong Un rides a unicorn and shoots hoops in Glorious Leader! and fends off American imperialism singlehandedly. Moneyhorse Games' Jeff Miller told the Associated Press he plans on adding locations to the game that are topical. He said he will even add a level on the Sony Pictures back lot as a bonus level.

Sony Pictures faced threats in a cyberattack that the Sony Pictures officially canceled the movie's American premiere. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139160-FBI-North-Korea-Hack-Sony-Pictures]

[gallery=3668]

Last Wednesday Miller launched a Kickstarter [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/884592321/glorious-leader] campaign for to finish Glorious Leader! Miller planned on releasing the game this year originally. He hopes to release it on Xbox and Playstation consoles in addition to PC and mobile devices. However, Microsoft declined to distribute the game. The last he heard from Sony indicated the company was responsive.

"I think I'll wait a little while before I reach out to them again," Miller said.

Source: Associated Press [http://bigstory.ap.org/article/52ff9872b0014baf94c47ec78b4e4ed2/kim-jong-un-game-spoof-glorious-leader-moving-forward]

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I don't think the people responsible for this knew what they would unleash, if they don't want the rest of the world taking the piss out of the "Great Leader" they are in for a big shock now they have prodded the internet with a stick.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Well I doubt the North Korean regime even knew of this games existence in the first place.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Does satire still work if the subject you're making fun of wouldn't even realise you're mocking them?

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Sure, it's very likely the NK'ers are unaware of this thing, but it still stands that a tiny little studio has more balls than a multi-billion-dollar international company.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Hazy992 said:
Well I doubt the North Korean regime even knew of this games existence in the first place.
I think DPRK would like this game. It shows the great leader in all his glory, destroying the evil 'Murikan Empire.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
TristanBelmont said:
Sure, it's very likely the NK'ers are unaware of this thing, but it still stands that a tiny little studio has more balls than a multi-billion-dollar international company.
It's easy to have a lot more balls when you have very little to lose.

I do have to wonder though if they're going to be paying Kim Jong royalties for using his likeness (I'm assuming without his permission).

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Kuala BangoDango said:
TristanBelmont said:
It's easy to have a lot more balls when you have very little to lose.

I do have to wonder though if they're going to be paying Kim Jong royalties for using his likeness (I'm assuming without his permission).
Now I have the weird mental image of someone licensing Un's face.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Li Mu said:
I think DPRK would like this game. It shows the great leader in all his glory, destroying the evil 'Murikan Empire.
Well.. that's kind of an actual thing.

North Korea and its supporters have ignored a lot of media which demonizes it (the Homefront series, White House Down) because while it may paint them in a bad light it also makes them look like badasses.

They don't give a crap that Kim is in the Interview or the they are the "bad guys", they care that they look like idiots and that Kim gets blown up in a helicopter crash. I suspect if the DPRK intelligence (or whoever is responsible for the Sony hack) stumbles on this, the satire will probably go completely over their heads.

The DPRK doesn't care if other nations hate it. The whole Juche ideology thrives on the idea of being the brave little nation resisting Imperialism. What really matters to them is being seen as strong.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
That kickstarter page is glorious. The screenshots, the poster, the t-shirt, the booklet, the cartridge. A FREAKIN' SNES OR GENESIS CARTRIDGE!!!!! Time to get a kickstarter account.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Fucking fuck you microsoft! Im leaving as soon as i can replace my gaming medium! The things i cant play due to their cuntiness along with this game:

The binding of isacc
Outlast
Abes odyssee
The talos principle

and more...but first *breathes deeply*
Calm...again...

Triality

May 9, 2011
All of my money. Have it, Moneyhorse! Have my money! Kim Jong Un riding a narwhal?! The unicorn of the sea? I AM SO THERE!

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
That just looks hilarious, fucken SOLD!!
I'd defiantly get it on Playstation too just to add some irony into the mix.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
Does satire still work if the subject you're making fun of wouldn't even realise you're mocking them?
It's the best kind of satire. So looking forward to seeing this succeed.