Union Jack or Union....Flag?

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
I don't know anyone, or rather I should say that I've never heard anyone I personally know refer incorrectly to the Union Flag as the Union Jack or vice versa. It doesn't surprise me that there is some confusion amongst some youngsters however; take for example how some children think an 'ass' refers to an arse instead of a donkey, or that 'fag' means homosexual.

Edith The Hutt

Flying Monkey
Oct 16, 2010
I've always called it a Union Jack. If nothing else it originates in the Jacobean era, when the nations of Britain were first united as one kingdom.

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
James Bowe said:
I've always called it a Union Jack. If nothing else it originates in the Jacobean era, when the nations of Britain were first united as one kingdom.
As explained numerous times previously, most recently & succinctly by Technocrat three posts previous to yours:
Technocrat said:
A "jack" is a naval flag, but technically the union jack shouldn't be flown from a ship unless a member of the royal family's on board.

Edith The Hutt

Flying Monkey
Oct 16, 2010
catalyst8 said:
James Bowe said:
As explained numerous times previously, most recently & succinctly by Technocrat three posts previous to yours:
Technocrat said:
A "jack" is a naval flag, but technically the union jack shouldn't be flown from a ship unless a member of the royal family's on board.
I'm aware of what a naval jack is thanks. I didn't claim this was the etymology, rather a handy bit of symbolism which is brought about by the colloquial name. The more formal name is a bit too dull for my liking.

Edible Avatar

Oct 26, 2011
I was taught that the 'union flag' was the US (Union) flag during the American Civil War (note: stars are in a circle). The UK's flag, at least where I'm from, has always been the Union Jack.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Riku said:
Since the new British flag Xbox 360 has been announced, people on Xbox360achievements.org have been debating over whether it is called the Union Jack, or Union Flag.

I'm British/English and honestly for all my 24 years in this country I have never ever heard it be called the Union Flag.
I know where the 'Jack' part of the name comes from (the navy) but since it has been around for a long time, it has been built into this country as the union jack. I honestly don't know a single person who calls it the union flag.

So British people, do you call it the union jack? or the union flag?
American/Rest of World people, what have you heard it called as? and what do you call it yourself?

I have always heard it referred to and called it the Union Jack myself. And then when you factor in that the only reason Great Britain became a world super power in the first place was it's AWESOME navy, I mean you kinda should follow that standard right?

FamoFunk said:
Couldn't care. Stupid falg that couldn't even include us Welsh :mad:

And where pray tell do you plan on putting your giant red dragon?

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Isn't it only called the Union Jack if it's on a ship?

Otherwise it's the Union Flag.

Just another of those little misconceptions that everybody seems to believe, then it turns out it's bollocks.
^^

/thread

THANK YOU STEPHEN FRY

Dec 14, 2009
MorganL4 said:
Riku said:
Since the new British flag Xbox 360 has been announced, people on Xbox360achievements.org have been debating over whether it is called the Union Jack, or Union Flag.

I'm British/English and honestly for all my 24 years in this country I have never ever heard it be called the Union Flag.
I know where the 'Jack' part of the name comes from (the navy) but since it has been around for a long time, it has been built into this country as the union jack. I honestly don't know a single person who calls it the union flag.

So British people, do you call it the union jack? or the union flag?
American/Rest of World people, what have you heard it called as? and what do you call it yourself?

I have always heard it referred to and called it the Union Jack myself. And then when you factor in that the only reason Great Britain became a world super power in the first place was it's AWESOME navy, I mean you kinda should follow that standard right?

FamoFunk said:
Couldn't care. Stupid falg that couldn't even include us Welsh :mad:

And where pray tell do you plan on putting your giant red dragon?
Might just be me, but I think the Welsh dragon has a rather...

Phallic tongue?

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I always thought that the Union Flag was named Union Jack, in the same way that the American flag in named Old Glory (which is ever more appropriate considering our failings)

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I have never seen or heard anyone say Union Flag before, but apparently it has been debated for a long time. Jack, you have my vote.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
As an American I always heard it called the Union Jack or the British Flag. Not any other combination of those words.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
To establish: I'm American. Specifically, New York state.

I only know of the distinction because of an episode of Doctor Who (I tried the first three seasons of the new version, got tired of it).

However, even if I were British, I couldn't care less. Flag rules are only useful when an obnoxious and in-your-face "patriot" accidentally disobeys them and you get the opportunity to make them look like an idiot. For example, on one of the anniversaries of 9/11, I saw a guy wearing an American flag like a Superman cape. The VFW has a flag code, and I took great pleasure in telling him that he was breaking three of the rules: He was wearing the flag as an article of clothing; he was letting the flag touch the ground; he didn't set the flag so that the blue section was in the top left corner.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
Union Jack if it's at sea or something... but a lot of people ignore that.
Otherwise you may as well just call it 'The British Flag', which honestly sounds considerably better than 'Union Flag'...

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
It's the Union Jack if you're not a massive bell-end.

It's the Union Flag if you're a pedantic dunce.

NOBODY calls it the Union Flag unless they're trying to win an argument.