"Unique Interface" Keeps Tomb Raider Off of Wii U

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Good. Screw the Wii U and its attempts to remake the wheel.

Any time a AAA refuses to release for a console because the control scheme is too unwieldy it delivers a nice stern message. "The game should be easy to play, not fancy to play."

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Im happy its not coming on Wii U, because i think Wii U should die. Nintendo is like Stalin, noone liked him but they still bowed down to him.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
They're probably making a smart move here. I doubt that any option they could do wouldn't catch them some flak, at least the current course is saving some money, or perhaps putting more money into potential marketing. Sure, they could create some simple thing such as a map or inventory screen so that there's no game-breaking issues without the pro controller, but really you do have to ask yourself if it's worth getting it for the WiiU if those are the only new features for it.

I doubt that the markets of "People who own a WiiU" and "People who don't own a 360/PS3/Gaming PC" cross over enough to make a big, easy to sell market that making a WiiU version would be worth it.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
It could be bigger than you might think. Either way, if you supposedly like the Wii U you're not really helping it by keeping a highly anticipated AAA release off of it. The regular Wii U pad has all the buttons a 360 has, so there really is no reason why they couldn't do a port, they don't -need- to reinvent the game to make it a good Wii U game. An inventory or a map would've been plenty for a game so shortly after release, especially for a port.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Therumancer said:
I understand that it would take time and resources for the developer to do extra stuff with the controllerm but a few ports like Black Ops 2 don't, they just let you play the game on the gamepad itself, which in itself is a fairly useful feature for those who have to share their TV.

Even nintendo didn't do much with Super Mario Bros U, you can draw platforms in multiplayer but otherwise all they use it for is playing on the gamepad while others use your TV.

I don't think Nintendo have policy that says you have to use the gamepad, I think developers are just kind of seeing it and thinking "oh shit! we have to use that or people won't buy our game!", much like the craze with the sixaxis near the start of the PS3's life.

I hate sixxis by the way, in 9/10 cases it doesn't work > >

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
rhizhim said:
SkarKrow said:

See this kind sir? Utilise it. The gamepad has all the same buttons too.

Nobody wants you to reinvent the wheel for the Wii U using a touchscreen for platforming somehow, you can always just use it for inventory management, menu selection, or something else lazy like that, even then you don't have to, you could just make it so that people could take Lara to the bathroom for alone time play it on the gamepad anywhere in the house.
he said he didnt want to force the wii u pro controller on everyone.
although the standard controller might do the deed

i guess they are starting to learn the new architecture on the WII U and are just looking for an excuse to buy more time or let it pass altogether.

or like he said, he thinks that the pro controller might be good enough to allow a good control in the game, but he doesnt want to force everyone to buy one.
Why would anyone need to go and buy a pro controller? The gamepad has all the same buttons, just the pro controller is a more traditional option, but the buttons are identical. Like you just showed, inventory management or a map is perfectly acceptable, or just playing on the gamepad.

I'm not too pissed off about this situation in particular, I'm just hoping there isn't a situation like, as someone else has mentioned, the industry gets sixaxis ever and has to shoehorn every feature into every game even when it doesn't work. That's what puts me off a lot of Vita games (and has thus far stopped me buying one).

loa

Jan 28, 2012
So they can't even do a straight port because those guys would just have to include waggle controls since they can't not use a feature that is there?

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Honestly this only bothers me just a tiny bit but in the end I still own a 360 and can still buy it and once I buy myself a Wii U I shall be able to enjoy being able to play Bayonetta 2 only on that one console.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I'm getting the impression the developers haven't seen the kind of stuff us Vita owners had to put up with on the launch line up, such as the crazy swiping on the touch screen in Dynasty warriors and strangeness in other titles. If they have to add something all they need to add is some kind of basic, optional functionality for the touch pad and the game is good to go...

Oh sweet mercy please don't make people aim the bow with the Wii U tablet acting like a giant Wii remote with a see through window! ~ ~

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
I love it how people are saying "just make a lazy port" like that would actually be okay. These are the same types of people who keep asking developers in beta to just release it already and that they can fix the game later, because that always goes so well.

The reality is, you will get far less bad publicity by skipping one platform altogether than you will by not developing it fully for that platform. People who don't play it at all won't get upset that this or that feature is buggy or missing. Release that incomplete product, though, and the internet hate takes on a life of its own.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Why are developer always searching for some fucking excuse instead of telling the truth.
"We don't want to, no more discussion!"
Simple as that.

If they wanted to make a WiiU port, they could have simply ported the game as it is without adding any stupid gimmicks for the tablet controller. Hell, the WiiU has a "Pro" controller only for this kind of lazy developer and they still are telling this bullshit.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
SkarKrow said:
Therumancer said:
I understand that it would take time and resources for the developer to do extra stuff with the controllerm but a few ports like Black Ops 2 don't, they just let you play the game on the gamepad itself, which in itself is a fairly useful feature for those who have to share their TV.

Even nintendo didn't do much with Super Mario Bros U, you can draw platforms in multiplayer but otherwise all they use it for is playing on the gamepad while others use your TV.

I don't think Nintendo have policy that says you have to use the gamepad, I think developers are just kind of seeing it and thinking "oh shit! we have to use that or people won't buy our game!", much like the craze with the sixaxis near the start of the PS3's life.

I hate sixxis by the way, in 9/10 cases it doesn't work > >
Maybe your right, maybe your not. We don't know Nintendos policy, it was just a theory.

On the other hand the other bit I theorized... about it being worth the trouble due to the reception of the Wii U and the potential audience, notice that the day after I posed this The Escapist itself is running an article about the state of the console, with Nintendo substantially lowering it's sales expectations based on performance, and their sales on all their hardware dropping accross the board. Not good, especially given that their version of a Next-Gen console is already on the market.

A lot of people theorized things like this, and devs also might just not want to get on board developing anything for what they see as a sinking ship.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
It's official. Fucking idiots run the video game industry. Not like it's much of a surprise, but seriously people, the Wii U has THREE different controllers. You don't have to use the touch screen, use the Pro Controller, that is after all what it's fucking there for. Come on!

And don't gimme that crap about not wanting to force people to buy a controller. Wii U bundles shipped with the controller, the controller is going to be required for many other games. Plus games have been shipped in the past with a controller. It's no new thing.
Just use that damn device already!

Sheesh, it's not hard people.