United Kingdom Privilege (NSFW)

Michael Dunkerton

Jan 8, 2013
White Americans may not get to use "charged" swears, but we do get to use British swears without people thinking they are swears at all. Hence why Disney heroes Jack Sparrow and Loki get to say "bugger" and "quim". It doesn't count if the kiddies don't know what it means!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

I wonder how many people will come into the cuntments comments just to say ****.

It's not like I can blame them, it is rather cunthartic cathartic

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Jhonie said:
Jandau said:
I'm from the non-english part of the word, I can call you things that would make your ears bleed in languages you can't begin to comprehend! :D

Also, love the crayon-drawn Irish passport.
Hehe, same here. I'm from Sweden, and the Swedish language has this beautiful and extremely handy trait that lets you combine almost any two words to form a new one. It opens up a whole new world of insults. :D Heck, we even have at least one song that is entierly compsed of one long string of insults. It's beautiful.
Can you also combine combinations of two words? With that ability you could pretty much condense every conceivable insult into a single word.

Jhonie

Oct 24, 2011
sageoftruth said:
Jhonie said:
Jandau said:
I'm from the non-english part of the word, I can call you things that would make your ears bleed in languages you can't begin to comprehend! :D

Also, love the crayon-drawn Irish passport.
Hehe, same here. I'm from Sweden, and the Swedish language has this beautiful and extremely handy trait that lets you combine almost any two words to form a new one. It opens up a whole new world of insults. :D Heck, we even have at least one song that is entierly compsed of one long string of insults. It's beautiful.
Can you also combine combinations of two words? With that ability you could pretty much condense every conceivable insult into a single word.
Oh yeeeees you can. It would be an extremely specific insult, but hey. Why not? Would be helluva mouthful, tho'. You'd be surprised by just how many word combinations end up sounding like insults.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I had to look twice to realize that Gavin's passport photo is basically an Oompa Loompa.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Jandau said:
I've never understood the point of insulting someone in a language they can't understand...kinda defeats the entire purpose, doesn't it? :p

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
As an Australian, I don't need a licence to say **** or most other slurs. Our accent is our licence. Apparently it's funny when we do it.

Cunts.

Comic reminded me of that video by thunderf00t.

Jhonie

Oct 24, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Jandau said:
I've never understood the point of insulting someone in a language they can't understand...kinda defeats the entire purpose, doesn't it? :p
Quite. It makes being Swedish on the internet extremely frustrating. I have at least 500 ways to insult someone in a classy way, but only about 5 ways to do it in English. It has irked me on more occasions than I can count.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Michael Dunkerton said:
Hence why Disney heroes Jack Sparrow and Loki get to say "bugger" and "quim". It doesn't count if the kiddies don't know what it means!
What is a "quim?"

*Quick google search* ...ohhh I see! Never heard that before :) Time for social experimentation!

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
It hurts muh patriotic pride that the UK passport is significantly larger than the Irish one

And you are British, Gav. Whether you like it or not
Does being British again mean we get some of that sweet imperialist cash?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
VanQ said:
As an Australian, I don't need a licence to say **** or most other slurs. Our accent is our licence. Apparently it's funny when we do it.

Cunts.

Comic reminded me of that video by thunderf00t.
That information is interesting (and very appropriate for the comic). It's just a shame he uses it less for educating, and more for starting fires.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Jandau said:
Depends on how you look at it. Insulting someone in a language they don't understand leaves them with a confused look on their face even though you just elaborated extensively on all the ways their mother conducts sexual intercourse with neighbourhood dogs. It's really down to why you're doing the insulting - is it to make yourself feel better or is it to piss the other person off? ;)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Abomination said:
Seems a bit niggardly to be offended at the "n" word when it is - just like "****" - being used more and more ironically or as a term of endearment.
You know, technically...oh wait, hang on a moment...

The Wooster said:
Abomination said:
Soon people will be more offended by actual cases of racism rather than the utterance of a word to trigger revulsion.

Seems a bit niggardly to be offended at the "n" word when it is - just like "****" - being used more and more ironically or as a term of endearment.
I grasp that you're trying to be clever, but you're using niggardly incorrectly. The only people you're going to offend is English graduates.
...indeed, as an English major, I was truly offended by his misuse of that word. On the other hand...

Abomination said:
The Wooster said:
Abomination said:
Soon people will be more offended by actual cases of racism rather than the utterance of a word to trigger revulsion.

I grasp that you're trying to be clever, but you're using niggardly incorrectly. The only people you're going to offend is English graduates.
Greedy, selfish, hoarding or unable to loosen one's grasp of.

One needs to loosen their obsession with holding a word so offensive. While of coarse it's not a direct reference one can not always be so direct with metaphor.
This is a fair enough point...however you used "coarse" rather than "course", so you're still offending my sensibilities. :p

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Jandau said:
It's really down to why you're doing the insulting - is it to make yourself feel better or is it to piss the other person off? ;)
I'd argue that those shouldn't be mutually exclusive: why not make yourself feel better while pissing the other person off? Personally I think if you intentionally insult someone in a language you know they don't understand then you just come off looking like a smug prick...of course, if you're in a situation where you need to insult someone, chances are they already think you're a smug prick. :p

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Jandau said:
It's really down to why you're doing the insulting - is it to make yourself feel better or is it to piss the other person off? ;)
I'd argue that those shouldn't be mutually exclusive: why not make yourself feel better while pissing the other person off? Personally I think if you intentionally insult someone in a language you know they don't understand then you just come off looking like a smug prick...of course, if you're in a situation where you need to insult someone, chances are they already think you're a smug prick. :p
Depends on the context. Sometimes you just want to vent without causing a further incident or escalating the situation. Also, the smug prick downside is lessened if the language you're using is your mother tongue - you're not being smug, you're simply falling back on your default language in the heat of the moment :p

BareHope

Aug 12, 2014
So...is there a reason there's one of the traditional symbols for homosexual love in the background of the last panel?

Just asking.