Unpopular Gaming Opinions

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
PC gamers today are confusing arrogance with pride. Any PC gamer who needs to find meaningless ways to bolster their favorite platform, cheats built in, being able to tweak performance, etc, really do need to get some perspective over the argument.

The reason why certain games like Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate, and System Shock are remembered fondly is simple. They were in the handful of games your family bought you that year and you only had two choices: Play it or play nothing that year. When you were forced to play, it gets better each time.

A company should not rest on their laurels. So what if your company made well loved games in the past. If you are making crap now, you have every right to be shut down, especially if someone else is fronting the bill.

Vale is overrated.
Bioware made only one game in 1996 and keep rereleasing it. Every setting change is nothing more than reskinning their existing work. Remember that the next time you complain about an EA Sports title.

Portal Sucks.
Bioshock is a great setting. It has a lousy story.

Fighting games are the definition of pick up and play casual.

Western RPGs' Unique Selling Point is its biggest detriment. Character creation forces everything to be generic.

Even the most annoying JRPG character is leaps and bounds better than any western RPG protagonist. In order for you to feel anything for the character, there needs to be something there in the first place.

Entitled accurately describes people who believes a lot of things. Anyone who hates it the term and does not want to play when it is brought out knows that deep down they are acting in this privileged manner.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
These are mine, they are not massively controversial

-Syndiacte (the new one) was actaully an enjoyable game, albeit it short and overpriced but it was fun and had good atmosphere.
-Mirrors edge gameplay does not need to be changed barely at all for a sequal (first person platforming can work better than third person)
-The majority of new games are far better than old game's. there are a few classics but gaming is far better than it use to be
-BFME2rotk is better than CAC3tw and even starcraft 2
-Black ops campaign is the best in the cod series so far (which is sill not saying much)

MBurdock

Aug 7, 2012
malestrithe said:
Western RPGs' Unique Selling Point is its biggest detriment. Character creation forces everything to be generic.

Even the most annoying JRPG character is leaps and bounds better than any western RPG protagonist. In order for you to feel anything for the character, there needs to be something there in the first place
I half agree with you.
The silent protagonist or completely customizable protagonist doesn't help the story. At best they're a place holder with faction alignment, some morality scale, and a choice of endings.

But... Chrono. Silent, no real backstory, no real personality. The story relied on the other characters.

malestrithe said:
The reason why certain games like Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate, and System Shock are remembered fondly is simple. They were in the handful of games your family bought you that year and you only had two choices: Play it or play nothing that year. When you were forced to play, it gets better each time.
I agree three quarters of the way with you. The interface, the graphics, the pacing of those games were off. Often the story was just okay. But they are also remembered fondly for being difficult and offering more in the way of high stakes choices than most modern games. Both are lacking in most modern games, IMO.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Mr.Philip said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
Skyward Sword is the worst Zelda title available.
Really? Even worse than the CD-I ones?
I completely forgot about those...Time to make an amendment and say it was the worst one I've ever played/ the worst one of this millennium. Nipped that one in the bud...Also I came up with some more!

*I did not like Braid
*Good graphics don't make a good game
*I loved Quina and, Vivi in FF9
*I loved Quistis and, Selphie in FF8
*I loved Yuffie and Nanaki in FF7
*I have fun with Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe
*I will the in the 0.01% of gamers who will have played Mass Effect 3 and Arkham City on the Wii-U before any other console.
*Half-Life 2 was good for the first playthrough but not worth it for more than that
*I don't care for Super Meat Boy
*Casual games are totally valid games
*Flash games are totally valid games

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
- The Witcher is a genuinely bad game. Not to mention juvenile.
- Dragon Age II is a flawed gem which, beneath its ugly duckling-like exterior, features droves upon droves of substantial and fascinating inter-personal dynamics.
- Female Voice #3 is the best voice set in both Saints Row 2 and Saints Row: The Third.
- Fallout 3 was a better conceived game than New Vegas.
- Lara Croft didn't need the 'fixing' the upcoming Tomb Raider has advertised. Particularly not when the supposed fix appears to be such an abject exercise in victimisation.
- Mass Effect 1 remains the best game of the trilogy.
- Neverwinter Nights is the digital definition of dull.
- Blizzard puts out some of the most aesthetically repugnant games around.
- The original Deus Ex really wasn't all that.
- Neither was Oblivion.
- Far Cry 2 is one of the most important games of the past 10 years.

And with regards to gaming culture at large:

- Day 1 DLC isn't evil. It's simply the industry's first attempt to make up for the losses they've garnered in light of how the previous, conventional business model is no longer sustainable relative to the costs of modern game production.
- Being more inclusive and sensitive to the concerns of people who aren't white, cis-straight men won't destroy gaming. I promise.
- Self-professed gamers generally seem wholly ignorant of both social and economic concerns, which is why I can rarely take them seriously when faced with an issue involving either of the two.

Vivace-Vivian

Apr 6, 2010
I liked FF13.
Linear games are not the devil.
Dragon age II is far superior to Origins.

Above all what matters in a game is that you are having some sort of fun or enjoyment. be it because of story, graphics, gameplay or what have you. So many people seem to be stuck on not playing certain game son principle. Is a Sports game fun? Play it. Do you enjoy arty games? Play them. Like Call of Duty? KNOCK YOURSELF OUT.

HannesPascal

Mar 1, 2008
Anyone defending a game company on a forum is a fanboy. It doesn't matter to the company if someone speaks ill of them on the internet and if it did I'm pretty sure they could manage.

pro-Feminism/anti-racism and such can be incredible petty in the gaming community. All women being bimbos with boobs the size of watermelons (looking at you generic fighting game) is something to be upset of, someone at Gearbox describing the new character in Borderlands 2 as "girlfriend mode" isn't. To name another example the modern Call of Juarez is racist (at least from what I've heard from Extra Credits) Deus Ex:Human revolution isn't.

I don't like any of the Nintendo classic games (Mario etc) nor do I like Half-life.

Not playing a game at the hardest difficulty doesn't mean you're playing the game wrong.

The story of Mass Effect got bad when the reapers got introduced. I haven't played Mass Effect 3 yet so maybe the reapers turn out to not be some silly, ancient, killing robots.

Games should continue focusing on being entertainment rather than art, and the greatest sin a game company can make (that's still game related so not murder, arson and jaywalking) is to make a boring game.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
- GTA4 is not only much better than Saints Row 2, it's also the best GTA.
- Zelda Majoras Mask is by far the best Zelda. Wind Waker is a close second. Ocarina of Time was great for it's time but didn't age that well.
- Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is the best Silent Hill since SH2.
- Heavy Rain is a terrible, terrible, terrible game.
- Deadly Premonition is one of the best games of this generation.
- I liked the open world in No More Heroes. When they took it out for the sequel something was missing.
- If the last level wasn't so unbelievably terrible Deus Ex: Human Revolution would be better than Deus Ex.
- The Paper Mario games are among the best games ever made and the best thing to be associated with the Mario series.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
- Baldur's Gate 2 had the best combat of any RPG ever.
- Said game is also the best game Boiware has made.
- Isometric CRPGs were better than their modern day counter parts.
- The pursuit of better and better graphics is ruining the industry.
- Shooters do not require a multi-player component.
- Far Cry 2 was fucking amazing.
- The Half Life series is extremely over-rated.
- Linear games can be good if they are well crafted.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
-Borderlands is a piece of shit game, and its sequel is going to be the same, repetitive MMO shit-gameplay without any of the redeeming qualities.

-JRPG's are not good, and any FF past the first 3 have no reason to exist.

-CoD may be repetitive, but I find it fun, so long as you stay offline.

-The old Duke Nukem games are no better than the new one

-Minecraft is just another MMO, except all you do is break rocks and build(to quote and paraphrase Yahtzee) build twenty foot tall golden cocks that will immediately be targeted by every green TNT bearing asshole in a thirty mile radius.

-If a game can't stand on it's single-player mode, then it has no business having multi-player.Or vice-versa depending on the game itself.

-That Moviebob is just a guy sitting on his throne of pretentiousness and an "I'm better than you because I say so" mentality.(not a gaming opinion, but it's loosely connected and we're on the Escapist)

-Crysis is average in every way possible except for its engine and maybe,maybe, the suit

-Bioshock did not have a gripping or amazing story in any stretch of the imagination, the atmosphere however, made up for it almost completely.

-Bioware is still making good games, and their stories are just the same as they've always been for the most part, with emphasis on characters, as any good roleplay is. As a side note, ME2's main story was better than ME1, and was a bit more original than the first.

-The Witcher series is not at all everything people make it out to be, a fun game, but not the second coming of christ as people make it out to be.

erttheking said:
- People buying COD aren't killing the game industry
- I thought that gears of war had an ok story
Pretty much this, with an added degree of perplexity with GoW having a story? Great fun series, but they aren't the most manly man stories they could manly be.

Xangba

Apr 6, 2005
Vivi22 said:
Oh I do have a problem with the entire legality of it, but everyone hails Valve as the second coming of Christ and ignores that little fact.

Annnyway this thread is for saying what we want without being judged, so UNLEASH HELL! :)

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Xangba said:
Vivi22 said:
Oh I do have a problem with the entire legality of it, but everyone hails Valve as the second coming of Christ and ignores that little fact.

Annnyway this thread is for saying what we want without being judged, so UNLEASH HELL! :)
Cool. I wasn't trying to judge or anything. A surprising number of people just don't understand how software licenses work and tend to give Valve flack when really the whole damn system is an issue. So I agree with you actually.

That said, it's really only an issue with Valve if they were to ever shut down Steam for whatever reason and cut off access without giving everyone DRM free copies of their games first. I'm not sure how legal that would even be, but it's not exactly all that likely at the moment.

Anyway, back on topic:
- COD4 is actually a really great game
- FFXIII may have had a reasonable amount of visual polish, but it was absolutely not one of the best looking games of this generation
- I did not have that much fun playing Red Dead Redemption because the controls were annoying
- I think League of Legends forced grind is bad and an unnecessary barrier to entry for a supposedly competitive game
- MMORPG's like World of Warcraft may be the single worst, and certainly least interesting genre that I can think of at the moment (maybe not an unpopular opinion here? But given their subscriber numbers...)
- Most WRPG's degenerate into either boring fetch quests, pointless dialogue options and player choice, or both
- GTA: San Andreas became absolutely terrible after you leave the first city
- FFXII was the best FF title since FFIX
- New players flooding TF2 as a result of it going Free to Play did not, in fact, make the game worse. It just gave everyone a new reason to whine.
- MMO's going free to play is a sign that the subscription business model is dead, not necessarily that the game is

And I'm calling it quits again for now.

Palmerama

Jul 23, 2011
God Of War series is extremely overrated! The first is the best as its the most original and has a great story! Its also just as repetitive as the so called "clones" that I enjoy much more (such as Lords of Shadow, Wolverine, and Darksiders).

I still like WoW and im looking forward to Mists of Pandera!

Star Wars The Old Republic is a good MMO and is worth the subscription fee!

Steam is vastly overrated & I hate the idea of Valve owning all my games & holding them to ransom! I should be able to play the games I pruchased just through my computer & not their launcher! GoG.com has the best business model for this! I just buy the game, donwload it from the launcher & can play it whenver I want as I OWN IT! Not having a liscence to play it! Im quite curious when this practise came in or has it always been there?

Dragon Age 2 was an enjoyable game with great writing!

I really like what I've seen so far with the Wii U and will definately choose it over the 720 & PS4! I love the way that Nintendo is continuing to innovate the way we play games!

I can't stand this generations 'casuals' vs 'hardcore' gamer thing! Gaming as a whole started as a casual recreation! Heck it still IS! The Wii wasn't the first console to bring in new types of players! The original Playstation did that! And having an 18 or mature rating doesn't make the game 'hardcore'! Collecting all 100 Stars in Mario Galaxy is just as hardcore as having a 4.2 k.d. ratio on CoD!

Party games ARE fun & there's nothing wrong with bringing in the family to play games with you!

The Gamecube was an underrated system & the PS2 was overrated! It had a bucketload of casual, kiddie crap games & a plethora of sport games!

EnlightendDead

Mar 25, 2011
Leftnt Sharpe" post="9.385221.15312292 said:
- Baldur's Gate 2 had the best combat of any RPG ever.
- Said game is also the best game Boiware has made.
/quote]
I dont know, KOTOR was pretty good.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Palmerama said:
Steam is vastly overrated & I hate the idea of Valve owning all my games & holding them to ransom! I should be able to play the games I pruchased just through my computer & not their launcher! GoG.com has the best business model for this! I just buy the game, donwload it from the launcher & can play it whenver I want as I OWN IT! Not having a liscence to play it! Im quite curious when this practise came in or has it always been there?
Just because GoG doesn't make you use a launcher doesn't mean you own a game on there any more than you own a game on steam.

Palmerama

Jul 23, 2011
Easton Dark said:
Palmerama said:
Just because GoG doesn't make you use a launcher doesn't mean you own a game on there any more than you own a game on steam.
That may be true but the whole process is so much easier & without DRM I can install the game on any computer without having to install Steam!

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Palmerama said:
That may be true but the whole process is so much easier & without DRM I can install the game on any computer without having to install Steam!
That much is also true I suppose. Jolly good reasoning, then.