Unreal Engine 3 Comes to Flash

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Unreal Engine 3 Comes to Flash

Unreal Engine 3, the game engine that powers Bulletstorm, Gears of War 3 and BioShock Infinite, now works in Flash.

Epic's Unreal Engine 3 really gets around. If you play videogames, it's almost certain that you've played at least a couple that were built on UE3 technology. Some are obvious - Unreal Tournament 3, anyone? - but others might surprise you, like Lucha Libre AAA: Heroes del Ring, Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust or Zumba Fitness. And with the addition of Flash support, that stable is poised to get a whole lot bigger.

Imagine, if you will, Facebook games that don't suck. There are already a few that fit that description but UE3 support in Flash opens up a realm of possibilities that go way beyond anything we've seen so far. Quake Live [http://www.quakelive.com/#!home] has already demonstrated that "real" browser-based gaming is possible but making it happen through Flash is a whole different ballgame. Epic claims the technology will allow developers to "animate millions of objects with smooth 60 frames per second rendering and deliver console-quality games on Mac OS, Windows and connected televisions."

"With UE3 and Flash, games built for high-end consoles can now run on the Web or as Facebook apps, reaching an enormous user base," Epic CEO Tim Sweeney said in a statement. "This totally changes the playing field for game developers who want to widely deploy and monetize their games."

Looks like you're going to be playing games on Facebook after all.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
"Facebook" and "don't suck" in one sentence?
DOES. NOT. COMPUTE.

In other news, Zynga has begun the production of a 3D FarmVille MMORTS.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
This should make games like Farmville a lot more interesting...

Here is hoping tickers come swarming to your farm...

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Im still waiting for UDK on Flash (Epic, make it happen!) but this is still mind-blowingly awesome.

Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge, Borderlands or Arkham Asylum on Facebook anyone? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_3]

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
humm this only makes me think of curtain products that do no support flash... sure sucks for them.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Imagine, if you will, Facebook games that don't suck.
My brain... it explodes with the lack of comprehension.

I just don't like Facebook so even with UE3 support, it will be extremely unlikely that I'll pay to play anything on it.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Am I the only one wishing for more dry technical details on how they made this work? Clever hackers have been trying to get 3D to work well in Flash for almost a decade now. It never pans out. Did Flash change? Or are Epic simply that good?

Does it properly make use of the end user's graphics cards? Does it allow the use of the right mouse button? (Something Flash has always reserved for the plugin's built-in menus almost no games actually use?) Are the location and file size of saved games constrained as in typical Flash games? What are the terms of the license?

Jul 9, 2008
Jezzascmezza said:
Is there anywhere the Unreal Engine 3 can't be found gaming-wise now?
Valve games might be the only consistent UE-free zone, but Source is so big that that doesn't really mean much.

Jul 9, 2008
bahumat42 said:
Jezzascmezza said:
Valve games might be the only consistent Flash-free zone, but Source is so big that that doesn't really mean much.
valve use flash in their browser
they are ue3 free though
Whoops, my bad. I meant Unreal Engine free zone. Editing my OP now.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
"animate millions of objects with smooth 60 frames per second rendering and deliver console-quality games on Mac OS, Windows and connected televisions."

There are console quality PC-games. Some are better than console quality.

What does the use of Flash change except allowing the game to be played through a browser?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Doom972 said:
What does the use of Flash change except allowing the game to be played through a browser?
Presumably it triples the system requirements because of the extra overhead. Yay Flash!

P.S. Thanks

]DustArma[

Mar 11, 2011
Jezzascmezza said:
Android devices.

OP: I'm surprised, I didn't think they would try porting it to flash, are they trying to do something similar to Unity 3D, which by the way, is on PC, Mac, Current gen consoles (including Wii), iOS and Android

Blastinburn

Apr 13, 2011
I don't actually believe it. The video looks to much like a trailer, with the fades and transitions to different angles, playing in or superimposed over a picture of a browser.