unreal tournament 3 review

kwdav

Apr 28, 2009
I got this the other day and from all the praise and such it gets you would swear it was a brilliant game...it's not.

starting off you get a intro of cutscenes in which you're introduced to the cast usual epic games line up the protaganist, the femal support character, down to earth team mates and the big black man "herr yeah sucka lets go get some fried chicken and shoot aliens" stereotype.
To put it in the most simplest of terms its basically this, aliens are bad they are killing yo freinds and famailies, they blew up your planet and are now off continuing their rape of other planets.

alarm bells really started going off at the tutorial which involved you blowing up your sister with a rocket launcher...... yeah some one at epic games has got a grudge i think, but anyway you have to do a death match, this is where i realised ah fuck theres no campaign.

right i was, its all repacked bot matches with some cutscenes and dialougue thrown in.i mean really thats all it is i was expecting gears like campaign. but the most ridiculous part is it tries to justify your reason for getting flags and capturing points with ridiculous names and explanations.

its basically all bot matches through the campaign, but now dont get me wrong its not a bad game and is actually quite fun for the multiplayer and playing the campaign also has its fun points but the game is basically the same things over and over again and can get fairly tedious after a few hours.

In other games this works well such as battlefront 2 but it doesent work to well with this game . This game is definately one of those love em or hate em games. if ou really do want to check it out it would be wise to rent it if your on the consoles.

kwdav

Apr 28, 2009
Curtmiester said:
Kinda short for a review don't you think?
theres not enough to the game to actually make a long review you get some shiny guns and vehicles and then you have to do some bot matches thats it

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
kwdav said:
Curtmiester said:
Kinda short for a review don't you think?
theres not enough to the game to actually make a long review you get some shiny guns and vehicles and then you have to do some bot matches thats it
That's an extremely lame excuse. You mentioned multiplayer (literally) once. Unreal is multiplayer, that's the entire appeal of the game. Plus, you didn't mention graphics, sound, or any of the other things that should be mentioned in a review. Don't ever use "it's the game's fault" as an excuse.

Stegofreak

Aug 6, 2008
Those comments made me a bit conscious of a UT3 review I wrote a year ago so I went off and dug it out to see what I'd written. :D So, rather than start a whole new thread for a dated review, here is is

Over the past few months Call of Duty 4 has made me all but forget that there is more to the First Person Shooter genre than squad tactics and shooting from cover. When I saw Unreal Tournament III had been released then, I jumped on the opportunity to play something with a high degree of mayhem and I didn't come away disappointed.
For those of you who don't know, there was a port of the original title released on the PlayStation 2 back in 2001 before console FPS titles had been gifted with the amazing control systems that they enjoy today. With memories of this original port fresh in my mind I was looking for more than just a good game from my PlayStation 3 copy of Unreal Tournament III, I was also hoping for improved controls and I got exactly what I wanted.

The controls in UT3 follow the standard convention of console layout. The shoulder buttons allow for primary and alt. fire options while the analogue sticks are used for movement and looking around. Jumping can be achieved either through pressing the cross button (if you're using Sony's lingo, X for pretty much everyone else) or by pushing down on the left analogue stick, which feels more comfortable in combat.

Setting aside the control system, Unreal Tournament III offers a new campaign mode that offers something different from the series' traditional tiered matches system. While I am vaguely aware of a storyline behind the rest of the series I found that it wasn't given the same attention as given to the story in Unreal Tournament III. Although the plot will not trouble the excellent story-telling of games such as Gears of War or Resistance: Fall of Man it suffices to link together the many insane matches that you will have to fight in order to take down the Krall.

The game frees itself from endless repetition through the availability of multiple match types. Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch offer the standard kill everything in sight matches upon which games like Unreal Tournament and Quake have built their reputations. Capture the Flag returns to offer a slightly more tactical twist to battles while Vehicle Capture the Flag improves on the classic game mode and greatly speeds up the gameplay. What really stands out for me, however, is the introduction of the Warfare match type. Adding a greater degree of tactics to the gameplay, I recommend playing this with friends or online for the ultimate experience.
Warfare gives both teams a core to defend in order to win the match. The opposing core may only be attacked when a team controls a link from their core to the oppositions, achieved through the capturing of nodes around the map. Nodes may only be captured if a team controls a node that may link to the desired node, while the core can become protected once more by capturing a node controlled by the other team. Simply put, if you don't control a direct route of nodes to the enemy core then you can't take it down. For this reason, Warfare is my favourite game mode.
UT3 is further saved from repetition due to the now endless list of modifications (mods) that have been made available by a more than eager community. These mods are easily downloaded into a PC version of the game while adding them to your PS3 version can be achieved by downloading them onto a USB Key and transferring them from there into your game via the PS3's USB ports and the games easy to use 'My Content' section. Upon the writing of this review mod addition is still unavailable in the Xbox 360 version of Unreal Tournament III.

UT3 does little to deviate itself from its predecessors weapon wise as it carries over the old arsenal of Impact Hammer, Enforcer, Bio Rifle, Shock Rifle, Link Gun, Flak Cannon, Stinger Minigun, Rocket Launcher, Sniper Rifle, Longbow AVRiL and the truly awe inspiring Redeemer though each has been given a stunning visual upgrade. The vehicles too look stunning and offer a vast array of ways of getting around or laying waste to anyone who tries to oppose you.

Online play does little to the overall action of the game, as the A.I. is extremely good, though it does offer a fun alternative to running around on your own. Most games do offer online play these days but UT3's frantic gameplay makes it one that you have to experience for yourself. It is very rare that you'll be able to experience gameplay as good as this in locations that are this well laid out. And should you for some reason get bored of the default maps that ship with the game, just jump online and download some of the high quality user developed ones which play just as well as the games own.

Having mentioned that the graphics are stunning there is little more to add. Each level is excellently rendered offering eye-candy to what is already an amazing title. Combined with the amazing design of Call of Duty 4, FPS titles released later in the year have had a very high bar set for them.

To close, Unreal Tournament III is undoubtedly the best games I've played on the PS3 to date. The sheer mayhem and speed of its matches grabbed me more than the slower tactical battles of Call of Duty 4 and reminded me of the frantic battles occasionally offered by HALO3 or Resistance: Fall of Man. This is truly one great game.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
How can you say it's a love it or hate it thing when you said it was quite fun?

And also how hard is it to spell and use proper grammar.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
kwdav said:
I got this the other day and from all the praise and such it gets you would swear it was a brilliant game...it's not. Its not best to start your review with your opinion - try actually informing the reader of the game before explaining why you dislike it

starting off you get a intro of cutscenes in which you're introduced to the cast usual epic games line up the protaganist, the femal support character, down to earth team mates and the big black man "herr yeah sucka lets go get some fried chicken and shoot aliens" stereotype.
To put it in the most simplest of terms its basically this, aliens are bad they are killing yo freinds and famailies, they blew up your planet and are now off continuing their rape of other planets. Capital letters are needed - theres to many for me to even bother fixing - as for this poor outline of a plot -thats what it is - poor, thats not what happens and the way you describe it is not funny nor informative.

alarm bells really started going off at the tutorial which involved you blowing up your sister with a rocket launcher...... yeah some one at epic games has got a grudge i think, but anyway you have to do a death match, this is where i realised ah fuck theres no campaign.Swearing is not needed, and whilst your right theres no campagin - you could have at least described the various guns, and gameplay mechanics - heck you don't even mention the sound or graphics before you stream headlong into criticisms

right i was, its all repacked bot matches with some cutscenes and dialougue thrown in.i mean really thats all it is i was expecting gears like campaign. but the most ridiculous part is it tries to justify your reason for getting flags and capturing points with ridiculous names and explanations. Again, theres no explanation - your paragraph is unclear and the grammar / punctuation are poor.

its basically all bot matches through the campaign, but now dont get me wrong its not a bad game and is actually quite fun for the multiplayer and playing the campaign also has its fun points but the game is basically the same things over and over again and can get fairly tedious after a few hours. What fun points, you haven't explained anything to us...

In other games this works well such as battlefront 2 but it doesent work to well with this game . This game is definately one of those love em or hate em games. if ou really do want to check it out it would be wise to rent it if your on the consoles.
Again, why should we rent it, you've gone into no detail about any point - the poor grammar and lack of objectivity make you a disrespectful source. The review could use a lot of work - I recommend you stave off from writing any more and check out posters such as Novajam or NewClassic to see the kind of quality this forum demands.

Shmagoobert

Mar 31, 2009
I wrote a review for this game a while back, I found there was a lot to talk about. You didn't even touch on the multiplayer, graphics, game modes, customization, any of the ups. The first three paragraphs provided nothing. While I understand almost everyone and their grandmother have played the UT series before and understand how the game plays, you should always pretend your reviewee has never played or heard about this game before and cover all the bases.

Sorry to be so hypercritical but this review was 6 paragraphs of nothing. You should try to put more effort in to your stuff.