Unreal Tournament III Free This Weekend On Steam

Apr 28, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
Didn't Epic say they don't do demos? Or was that just CliffyB flapping his mouth of again? (he did say that it was like having a one night stand...)
yeah, but I don't think that he's completely in charge of UT3, only the Gears series.

He probably contributes, but thats about it

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
cherimoya said:
i wish people would stop blaming steam / valve for pricing / exchange rate gouging.

the only games steam has pricing control over are valve's.

publishers set their own prices on steam. for all territories. they also dictate when games can unlock in which territories, etc. steam has nothing to do with it.

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/publishingservices.php
I blame Valve for thinking 1?=1$. We Europeans that use Euro are still and will remain angry cause of this. We saw our game(any game from any company) prices in Steam rocket from 35 euros to 49.99 euros, and that my friend is Valve's fault.

cherimoya

Mar 2, 2009
valve does not set prices on any games sold on steam except for VALVE games.

if it's made by EA, EA told valve what it's price should be on steam - for every market that EA is allowing steam to sell the game in.

its that simple.

valve does not price non-valve games on steam.

// i'm more wrong than i was last post.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
cherimoya said:

if it's made by EA, EA told valve what it's price should be on steam - for every market that EA is allowing steam to sell the game in.

its that simple.

Bzzt, wrong. THEY set the prices. Just like every shop sets it's own price, as long as it's the same or more than what the producers want for their game.

Also - if every non-Valve developer wanted to get the 1 USD = 1 EUR, he would also do that in the official shop. And it's impossible that every single game costs more in Europe because the developer wants so. That's counter-productive.

Btw - Free weekend my ass. Download crashed again at 35%, then Steam crashed. Same for almost everyone trying to buy/try out the game.

cherimoya

Mar 2, 2009
Abedeus said:
cherimoya said:

its that simple.

Bzzt, wrong. THEY set the prices.
hahah. i was wrong. i found a link that made me chuckle at my previous posts.

blame away at steam, lads.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Unreal 3 has vanished. It looks like Steam was taken by suprise by the customer load for the special, hopefully for them they're fixing it.

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
Has anyone here actually managed to dload and play it yet and if so does the new update make it worth the money? Is anyone actually playing ut3 (will it be a bot only affair) or is everyone/more people still playing ut2004?

World of Goo is on discount too (http://store.steampowered.com/app/22000/) but I don't think I got cash for both right now after having to replace my blown-up graphics card. There're obviously different games but one is more highly praised then the other right. And I suppose ut3 would be one of the best games to test a shiny new nvidia 9 series physx graphics card. Oh decisions, decisions...

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
The free UT3 weekend was a complete and utter failure, based on the Steam Forums and my own personal experience. When I first started the download on Friday, the Steam servers could not handle the download demand and not one MB could be downloaded. Checked back in on Saturday, and about 9% was downloaded on my high-speed internet connection. Now it's Sunday afternoon, and though the weekend is not over, the free UT3 trial apparently is over. Never even had a chance to try the trial. If that's not incredibly bad PR for digital download events, I don't know what is. All I know is, I have a bad taste in my mouth when I even think of UT3.

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
Zerbye said:
The free UT3 weekend was a complete and utter failure, based on the Steam Forums and my own personal experience. When I first started the download on Friday, the Steam servers could not handle the download demand and not one MB could be downloaded. Checked back in on Saturday, and about 9% was downloaded on my high-speed internet connection. Now it's Sunday afternoon, and though the weekend is not over, the free UT3 trial apparently is over. Never even had a chance to try the trial. If that's not incredibly bad PR for digital download events, I don't know what is. All I know is, I have a bad taste in my mouth when I even think of UT3.
I have to agree, I got absolutely no where with the dload. What disturbs me most is that valve doesn't seem to read / participate in their community forums, which I'd expect from EA or some corporate retail publisher maybe but oh well, disappointing to say the least.

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
Looks like Steam is going to give the UT3 weekend another shot, giving us all a chance to pre-load the game this time. Now that's a nice way to address their failed first attempt!

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
Tried to download the expansion from fileplanet since i already have UT3, however fileplanet charges subscriptions. Bastards-.- I shall have to hunt down another source.