Unrealistic Expectations

Nailzzz

Apr 6, 2015
Paragon Fury said:
Nailzzz said:
What I love is when your not interested in a woman and they go to your friends who then tell her why your not interested. The response then becomes how you will just have to get used to whatever it is you find objectionable about them. I have had this happen a few times. Usually because of my dislike of body piercings(I just don't find them attractive and they tend to get in the way). The sense of entitlement some women have just floors me sometimes.
I haven't experienced this personally, but I don't think your friends should be telling others why you don't like them unless its for something important.
We'll if she asks and they are aware of my position then where is the harm? And what would you qualify as important? I would view not wasting the girls time as important. To me it doesn't matter if they ask me or my friends instead provided that what is said is simply the truth.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Fiction portrays very little in a realistic light. Just look up articles about how much characters would really make and what lifestyle they would have in the real world.

Ironically I'm usually less concerned about the physical expectations than the emotional ones. I've seen a lot of marriage break ups in friends and family and they all seem to come down to the idea that such a relationship is there for you and what you want out of it. When that person starts wanting things too that the other side doesn't want, suddenly the relationship is worth nothing because the other side isn't a person, but exists purely as maid, breadwinner, sexual partner, emotional support, ego stroker completely devoted to you, etc. Both genders have this. For every big breasted harem lead, there's a shoujo manga where a hot guy sees the best person in the world in some plain girl with no domestic skills.

It why, while I like some of those types of shows for the comedy, there are lot of anime couples I don't see making it past their first fight.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Personally I'm of the belief that the emotional expectations some people get form fiction are worse than any of the physical ones. Boobs are boobs and you will be more physically attracted to people who you "fall in love with." But the emotional expectations of "soul mate" is mostly just an excuse not to try if thing's aren't perfect. Sometimes you and your partner will make mistakes you'll have to work though it. But in fiction it's "happily ever after."

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Hagi said:
Weird...

Even after reading the lyrics the only sense I get out of it is that guy going through a sort of cathartic dream turning into nightmare after a breakup.
As I recall, it's something along the lines of 'He became so absorbed with the fiction that he eventually let his relationship with his (real) girlfriend fall apart.'

VVThoughtBox

Mar 3, 2014
Isn't the whole point of fiction to be unrealistic? I mean people read fiction in the first place because they want an escape, or break from realism. I don't get why people are complaining about scantily clad females, but selectively ignore the half naked muscle men who dominate fiction and media. It seems like we're selectively holding women to a higher standard that men and expect them to be depicted in one way and one way only: "Perfect Female Role Models".

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
Ehhh... I have the feeling this thread has been made before but...
Why do people take something from fiction an expect reality to accommodate? Like, if you wanna have unrealistic expectations by all means do, but know that the chances of whatever your unrealistic expectations are to happen in real life are slim if any at all.

SOCIALCONSTRUCT

Apr 16, 2011
It looks like the original video was taken down and a quick search of youtube turned up some commentaries but not the actual video.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
viscomica said:
Ehhh... I have the feeling this thread has been made before but...
Why do people take something from fiction an expect reality to accommodate? Like, if you wanna have unrealistic expectations by all means do, but know that the chances of whatever your unrealistic expectations are to happen in real life are slim if any at all.
Presumably because they don't consciously recognise they are doing that. Makers of advertisements and propaganda have been doing this to people for ages on purpose, going to happen accidentally every so often as well.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Look what you've done. LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE!

Necromancy was banned by Arch-Mage Traven for a reason.