Unskippable: Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
hawk533 said:
Why do women in video games always wear skirts of armor with no leg protection?
Two words: zettai ryouiki.
That's the only explanation I can think of.
(Personally, I like seeing that sort of stuff...)

But why do we have to keep seeing maps get burned?! I guess it's supposed to symbolize death and destruction in the depicted lands, but no maps have to get involved in said destruction!

"We'll say a dog did it!" "A flaming dog!"

(Flaming dog? So is THAT where flaming poo comes from? ^_^)

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Oh man, I remember when I bladestorm, I could never stop laughing whenever I heard that dudes voice. And since you hear it all the time when you come back from a battle...

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
Hahaha, oh man. That was funny. The opening CGI and then the second...set piece of CGI. Completely different.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
How did you get through that without making a joke about the french being cheese-eating surrender monkeys? Oh right, back then (up until the second time they exiled Napoleon), the french were badass.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
The Great JT said:
How did you get through that without making a joke about the french being cheese-eating surrender monkeys? Oh right, back then (up until the second time they exiled Napoleon), the french were badass.
They still are...and France was outright awesome during WW2.

TBman

Oct 31, 2008
hey escapist, just thought I should tell you the more you make me watch that stupid commercial, the less inclined I am to buy a slim jim.

TBman

Oct 31, 2008
hey wait, if normandy caught fire where are they going to have the D-day invasion? And what are they going to name the ship in mass effect?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yep, that's what I'd do in the middle of a fight, just stand there and have a nice chat.

Canadian Briton

May 1, 2010
I f**king loved this game! It may of had strange cutscenes and the biggest ammount of historical inaccuracy ever. But it was hella Fun!
Anyway that was a really good episode.
And that barkeep, his accent is so strange.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
AssassinJoe said:
What is it with accents in games? Are they all terrible?
I don't think "terrible" is the correct word... except if you're American and are unfamiliar with British regional dialects.

There are lots and lots of clearly defined regional accents and dialects in Bladestorm, but I wouldn't necessarily call them terrible (a bit hammy maybe) since they are all genuine accents you'd hear in different parts of Britain and Europe.

I really like Bladestorm for it's voice work and for having such recognisable and clearly defined regional accents, as opposed to having a homogeneous Medieval world populated by Americans that a lot of games seem to favour.

Also, the Bar Keep is speaking in a Spanish accent in which it's common to pronounce 'c' as 'th', known as the Castilian lisp.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Ah, yes the continuing adventures of Turdface McStabby, appearing whenever you can choose your own name.

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
I love how they stand there looking at the sun in the middle of the battle field. Fake accents and pseudo old English AHOY!

Zen-Riddler

Jun 22, 2010
Spot on vid.

Got the game and love the strikingly bad voice acting. Whilst I expect 'english accent = Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins' the Barkeep accent is comically bad. Somewhere between the English Policeman in Allo-Allo and John Cleese's Frenchman in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

If only there was a code to make him 'fart in your general direction'.

Yankeedoodles

Sep 10, 2010
XMark said:
hawk533 said:
Why do women in video games always wear skirts of armor with no leg protection? Was it so dishonorable to stab women below mid-thigh that they didn't have to worry about it? If so was it then okay to stab them in the breast, because there's always plenty of armor there?
What always gets me is when women in games and movies wear midriff-exposing armor into battle. Sexy, sure, but definitely not practical.
The one's who also wear high heels are even worse. I know they make women taller and they do miraculous things to a woman's backside, but running in those things is nearly impossible and they hurt like hell... or so I've heard. I winced every time I saw Miranda or Samara crouching behind a chest-high wall in Mass Effect 2.

TBman said:
hey escapist, just thought I should tell you the more you make me watch that stupid commercial, the less inclined I am to buy a slim jim.
Really? I almost feel morally obligated to buy some to support Escapist content. But I just don't like jerky.