Unskippable: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Inserting in the LZ Down and Dirty

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Inserting in the LZ Down and Dirty

You're not getting your drop pod deposit back.

Watch Video

Jan 12, 2012
So, wait, were they flying the drop pod? That giant screen is unnecessary otherwise, but it seems like all but the most basic trajectory work would have been done already by the ship that launched them. Also, I've never understood why drop pods always launch people standing up, rather than in a crash position; the reduction in whiplash would be well worth the extra second to stand up.

Grr, I'm crotchety with a self-given degree in engineering, and I remember the days when CoD was all WWII, all the time, instead of this future stuff. Pander to me, megacorporations!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Why drop pods at all? I do not remember those things working properly in any of the HALO games (but it's been a long time since I last played those), and did you see all that AA fire coming from the ground? You could have easily strolled into town while they waste ammo shooting the air.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Marine: How are we being deployed sir?
Commander: Drop pods son.
Marine: We are going in by drop pod in to an active warzone that has, as the report put it, a metric F-ton of anti air defenses?
Commander: That is correct, son.
Marine: Is the military trying out some sort of Robocop recruitment plan?

P.S I would totally play Call of Duty: Robocop.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
Why drop pods at all? I do not remember those things working properly in any of the HALO games (but it's been a long time since I last played those), and did you see all that AA fire coming from the ground? You could have easily strolled into town while they waste ammo shooting the air.
There was that bit in halo 2 where they land on delta halo. Worked pretty well. The point of drop pods is to have lots of small, fast moving targets rather than one large one. Harder to hit, and you lose fewer soldiers if one is taken down.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
canadamus_prime said:
What exactly was the point of having the big fancy screen in a drop pod?
For the marines of all people. Not to diss them at all, but every marine I ever heard talk about their equipment said they got hand-me-downs from the Army.

Somehow I imagine in real life they'd have a little tiny porthole for course corrections.

Then again, somehow we have flying gator freighters in this time period, so maybe everyone else has X-wings and shit? The fact North Korea of all nations can shoot down the flying troop transports means we're pretty well into Sci-fi territory(or China renamed itself North Korea because).

I know why they do it, but for me, the moment they put "North Korea is invading the US/Has Nanosuits/isn't using 50 year old tanks and aircraft" puts it pretty much on the realism level of "Nazis from the moon are attacking". It's more funny then alarming.

I still can't watch the new Red Dawn without thinking it's actually a parody of all of the "America Under Threat" movies from the last ten years. Granted, the old Red Dawn wasn't exactly high on the realism scale either.

endplanets

Mar 18, 2011
"We leave in one Mike". Do people in the military actually say Mike instead of Minute? They sound like total twats. I remember CoD 2 had one moron saying "We are Oscar Mike" instead of just On the Move.
Do people in the military actually talk like that or is it just CoD saying "look at how cool and realistic we are"?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
008Zulu said:
P.S I would totally play Call of Duty: Robocop.
"Drop pods: the insane man's choice for tactical insertion!!!" (TM)
Because who thinks parachutes are great?

008Zulu: still loving your avatar, and I too would play CoD: Robocop. Unless it was the sucky reboot Robocop, obviously!
(Which it probably would be)

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
endplanets said:
"We leave in one Mike". Do people in the military actually say Mike instead of Minute? They sound like total twats. I remember CoD 2 had one moron saying "We are Oscar Mike" instead of just On the Move.
Do people in the military actually talk like that or is it just CoD saying "look at how cool and realistic we are"?
No clue. It sounds weirldy ridiculous; "one Mike"... I can understand "click" instead of KM, since US still doesn't use metric.
Maybe it's like the NATO universal alphabet? So that all their foreign allies understand what they need to do to when instructed to move five clicks in the next 30 Mikes?

Wikipedia doesn't seem to think Mike is military jargon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_(disambiguation)

But thanks for finally solving "Oscar Mike" for me!
I never managed to find out what that meant (didn't play CoD2), just heard about it in Unskippable or ZP.

Stay Frosty!

EDIT:
But then again, I found this:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080819224049AAOOpH2

Appearantly they DO say Mike.