Unskippable: Cursed Crusade

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
GrizzlerBorno said:
Is this a Japanese game? I don't think I've ever even heard of this game but my gut is telling me with some level of certainty that it is japanese. Why is that?
Well, Kylotonn Games is a French developer. But the publisher was Atlus. So maybe some of the residual Japanness left over from Catherine rubbed off on this game.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Say what you want the game dared to be quite less romantically about the crusades.

That it definitely is not the best game well just makes it more fun

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I thought those awkward cuts to black were gameplay cuts, but then you referenced that you really wanted them to be just that and I couldn't stop laughing. I'd love more unskippable of this game, or even a GPLP, just so I can know WTF was going on in the end there.
Also, just went to Amazon to check the release date, it's only like 3 months old. Wow.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I love how nonchalant the guy's voice is. He's talking about traveling to a distant land to die along with his ideals, and his tone is more befitting of a guy sitting on a pillow pile by a fireplace, wearing a deep red robe, a snifter of brandy on his hand.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
This may be the wrong place, but weren't Templars supposed to be celibate? So how does he have a son, while still being in the order?

Also: I'm quite sure Templars weren't that fond of facial hair (it wasn't outlawed though, as far as I remember.)

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
I like how he brought up his son out of nowhere it is like he forgot he had one

but yeah the game looks and sounds pretty shitty

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
orangeapples said:
DVS BSTrD said:
If you play the cursed crusade, it is a foregone conclusion that game play wise...

*puts on sunglasses*

...you're fucked
no, that was just bad. Go back to internet kindergarten and learn how to use memes properly.

This game was looking very bland and generic, then sudden WTF out of nowhere. So now the templars work for God AND Hell?
Well, supposedly they were warriors for God, but remember that supposedly they served a face on a piece of cloth that may have been either the cloth that wiped Jesus' face while he was carrying the cross to his execution, or was the Shroud of Turin folded so that only the face showed. When the Templars were disbanded by the Pope and French King, it was under the story that the Templars were actually serving the Devil/Baphomet, who was supposedly the face on the cloth. So according to History, God and the Devil, yup.

What distracted me most was the line about the Sons of Saladin (Saladin being a single guy) and then that line about the Fathers (plural) of the Sons of Saladin... Talk about confusing. Sons of a Singular Father that suddenly becomes plural...

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
CorvusFerreum said:
This may be the wrong place, but weren't Templars supposed to be celibate? So how does he have a son, while still being in the order?

Also: I'm quite sure Templars weren't that fond of facial hair (it wasn't outlawed though, as far as I remember.)
I remember reading somewhere that married men were allowed to join if their wife had died or gave them permission or something.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
LadyRhian said:
orangeapples said:
DVS BSTrD said:
If you play the cursed crusade, it is a foregone conclusion that game play wise...

*puts on sunglasses*

...you're fucked
no, that was just bad. Go back to internet kindergarten and learn how to use memes properly.

This game was looking very bland and generic, then sudden WTF out of nowhere. So now the templars work for God AND Hell?
Well, supposedly they were warriors for God, but remember that supposedly they served a face on a piece of cloth that may have been either the cloth that wiped Jesus' face while he was carrying the cross to his execution, or was the Shroud of Turin folded so that only the face showed. When the Templars were disbanded by the Pope and French King, it was under the story that the Templars were actually serving the Devil/Baphomet, who was supposedly the face on the cloth. So according to History, God and the Devil, yup.

What distracted me most was the line about the Sons of Saladin (Saladin being a single guy) and then that line about the Fathers (plural) of the Sons of Saladin... Talk about confusing. Sons of a Singular Father that suddenly becomes plural...
Who'd thought that Broken Sword was actually teaching me history!

OT: Wow, this game just looks awful, I mean, my eyes almost bled from seeing so much screen tearing and it had a feeling like the characters didn't fit at all, like watching puppets acting in a miniaturized mock-up scenario. And the voice acting... oh God, the voice acting...

I'd love to see an Unskippable Let's Play of this.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Buretsu said:
Am I the only one thinking the best part of the actual cutscene was the voice of Kirk Thornton as Jean?
Is that who that was? I could have sworn it was Avery Brooks... :)

Velric

Mar 28, 2011
That 30 second unskippable advisement at the start of the video is a little meta.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
LadyRhian said:
orangeapples said:
DVS BSTrD said:

*puts on sunglasses*

...you're fucked

I think it's more to do with the way the crusaders were supposed to earn their salvation by taking the Holy land from the Muslims. The Pope told them that when they did this all their sins would be forgiven and they would get into heaven. Obviously tThe guy in the cutscene failed to claim the land back, so he didn't earn his way into heaven, and ended up in Hell. I think that is what the cutscene is getting at, but it was really vague about actual plot, so I'm not sure.

JehuBot

Jun 1, 2011
wow, some great riffing there, guys, so much quotes to like. ^^

and that gameplay tutorial teasing was annoying, yet your commentary made it hilarious. XD