Unskippable: Dead Island

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Shocksplicer said:
wow, suddenly i'm imagining what it would have been like if Atlas had been australian, and if this ame casting director was in charge of writing him as an aussie...

"G'day cobber, me shiela's been locked in a submersible down the Frog and Toad, be a good mate and help me spring her this arvo? C'mon Jacky mate, get a dog up ya, help a bloke out! That flamin' mongrel Ryan's turned this place into a right shitter! I never should hae left Dubbo mate..."

The Horror...
That... is... hilarious!!!! Hahaha! I am imagining that now! And it is pure awesome!! But why is it a Cockney Aussie!?

But that was hilarious to read! Thank you! :D

jessegeek

Oct 31, 2011
Ah yes, the Dead Island intro sequence. I remember watching it for the first time and thinking "not only does the 'meeting yourself while drunk' thing make no sense, but the obnoxiously long (and in the case of Xian Mei, f*cking ludicrous) slow-scrolling voiced backstories are some of the worst narrative techniques I've ever seen employed in a game." And then I played it and realised the game sucked too. All-in-all, Dead Island was a massive disappointment on every level.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Chairman Miaow said:
Sabrestar said:
And if the elevator is falling out of control, he probably wouldn't be sprawled out on the floor of the elevator. I would assume that inertia would push him upward, unless it wasn't falling as fast as it appeared.
Actually, because everything in the elevator is moving at the same speed, including the air, he probably would be thrown about in the way shown.
Clearly, there's only one solution to this. Where are the Mythbusters when we need them?

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Sabrestar said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Sabrestar said:
And if the elevator is falling out of control, he probably wouldn't be sprawled out on the floor of the elevator. I would assume that inertia would push him upward, unless it wasn't falling as fast as it appeared.
Actually, because everything in the elevator is moving at the same speed, including the air, he probably would be thrown about in the way shown.
Clearly, there's only one solution to this. Where are the Mythbusters when we need them?
And are you going to volunteer to fall down the elevator shaft?

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
Shocksplicer said:
wow, suddenly i'm imagining what it would have been like if Atlas had been australian, and if this ame casting director was in charge of writing him as an aussie...

"G'day cobber, me shiela's been locked in a submersible down the Frog and Toad, be a good mate and help me spring her this arvo? C'mon Jacky mate, get a dog up ya, help a bloke out! That flamin' mongrel Ryan's turned this place into a right shitter! I never should hae left Dubbo mate..."

The Horror...
That... is... hilarious!!!! Hahaha! I am imagining that now! And it is pure awesome!! But why is it a Cockney Aussie!?

But that was hilarious to read! Thank you! :D
You're welcome. :) FYI, there is such a thing as Australian Rhyming slang, which is why there was a bit of cockney in there. I was racking my brains trying to think of as many Aussie phrases as i could fit in.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Chairman Miaow said:
Sabrestar said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Sabrestar said:
And are you going to volunteer to fall down the elevator shaft?
Sure, why not. They've got good insurance on that show, right?

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
Chairman Miaow said:
Sabrestar said:
also, elevators have several mechanical safeties to prevent it from plummeting if the line was cut or if it went all bananas from gremlin attack. So the whole thing is rather moot.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
vxicepickxv said:
The reason that everything breaks down the day after zombies appear is because zombies have a natural ability to redirect the entropy that should break down their bodies into inanimate objects. They don't even know they're doing it. It just happens.
Thats actually a very good and scientific explanation!

Also another good giveaway of a certain betrayal character is the reassuring voice/accent. Especially posh English twats, also guys who start off giving you the orders in a game about conspiracy. Especially if said orderer giving bloke has his own army, organisation or has proven themselves capable in combat.

DJShire

Sep 27, 2008
Kapol said:
Anyone else have green flashes on the left side of the screen during the credits?
Me too, maybe something happened during rendering or some such?

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
Actually,

He doesn't betray you. Not even a little. The next guy, though...
And in his DLC,
it turns out he was framed.

Interestingly enough, Logan is the only protagonist who's directly responsible for their own fall. Sam B is a one-hit wonder, and he hates having to sing the same song over and over. Purma offended a politician while doing her job as a cop and got fired, partially because of her race, partially because of her sex, partially because of the politician. Asian lady has been sent to the hotel as a spy. You'll also note that Logan is the only one of the four protagonists who actively engages the drunk guy in the first cutscene.

The drunk guy who seems to have left his door open in a hotel that's about to be swarming with zombies.

I do like that the opening, aside from the drunkenness and lack of zombie-killing, is actually pretty representative of actual gameplay. You will be swiping food from everywhere, even next to dead bodies.

DTH1337

Feb 27, 2012
The guy on the intercom asks if you have fever or chills. Who does he think he's trying to be, Dr Mario?

Anyway, Dead Island started out fun and interesting, but eventually became tedious, frustrating, and cheap at times. Very disappointing and one of the worst games of 2011.

Unskippable rocks!

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Rule #1 of Zombies:

They break everything. Even things that shouldn't break because of zombies like elevators. Because they can do that.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Covarr said:
So Unskippable is doing obviously skippable cutscenes now, huh? Oh well, still a great episode. A+++++, would watch again.

P.S. Thanks
They used to at least lampshade it when they riffed a skippable scene. :/