Unskippable: Defiance

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
canadamus_prime said:
DVS BSTrD said:
canadamus_prime said:
Well if Storage Wars was like this then I might actually watch it.
"So we totally scored this military storage locker out in Cali. We were hopping for weapons but instead we got enough nerd gear to dig up the entire Bay area. It's also haunted by this ghost that calls herself EGO. She's a total babe but talking to her gives me a headache."
"It also looks like she has had one too many botched botox sessions because her face never changes. It creeps me the fuck out."
So that's what Bruce Jenner is going to do now that he's leaving Kris.
What? Get botched botox or search random pods for women with botched botox?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Oh sure, you laugh at New Freedom, but when they bring back Freedom Classic it's going to sell loads. Genius marketing move.

I have to say I actually like that the annoying guy fronting the SPACE MAREENS is actually who you're working for. You say you're not running a limousine service, Grizzled Man, but who is paying for you spaceskymegacarrier if not us taxpayers?

I'd play a Storage Wars game. It'd have to be The Castle Doctrine style, an MMO in which you make bids on storage units afer briefly being shown them. You could them fix up the items, and the fixing up would sometimes go wrong and waste your money unless you focused on crafting. If you did, you could fix items for other players. Every once in a while a player would get a random quest like "I will pay you TEN THOUSAND STOREBUCKS for a broken garden gnome!" to throw wrenches on the gears.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
If I had that EGHOST jumping out at me I'd need like ten changes of underwear a day. Jeeeeez.

Hello, I'm a disembodied manifestation of a computer program in your head. BOO!

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I played the game for a month or so

Interesting concept - the classless system is a neat idea, plus the whole "arkfall" thing is kinda neat too - but it lacks something that WoW was reasonably good at incorporating later on: You effect on the game world.

It seems like no matter how often you wipe out hundreds of identical looking color-coded hellbugs, or bandits, or crazy cyborg miners, or emo alien deathsquads, then you never make any meaningly impact on the game world.

WoW at least got that somewhat right via instanced game-world content that changed as you did various quests.

Plus, while Defiance gear is balanced in such a way that an epic tier rifle isn't that much more powerful than a beginner tier rifle - then it just has a few more slots for 'synergy' bonuses, is a nice idea to make sure that high lvl players aren't that much more powerful than low lvl players... well... it also means that having played the game for a month and leveled your character up quite a lot feels like very little actual progression.

Heck, considering that PvP is neatly hidden away and in no way allowed in the main game world I don't see that much of a need for weapon balancing in the main game. Sure, it means that the devs don't have to do much for pvp balancing either, but it makes for a somewhat more boring PvE experience.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Don Reba said:
But Defiance the TV show is pretty good, though, right?
Overall, I liked it. The pilot was full of genre cliches and terrible CGI bad guys and the season finale might have suffered from being tied too closely to the MMO, but there was a lot of good stuff in the middle, especially the second half of the season.

I watched a lot of those rubber-forehead aliens [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RubberForeheadAliens] shows from the 1990s: the various Star Treks, the Stargates, Babylon 5, and Farscape. Defiance reminded me of those, but with the better production values, writing, and character work we expect from a post-Firefly/BSG science fiction series. Not that Defiance is as good as either of those series, not yet at least, but it definitely has potential. Especially if the Tarrs remain central characters. Datak and Stahma are the best characters on the show.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
kailus13 said:
"Holy shako you're alive!"

Leaving out the truly awful attempt at a future swear word, why would you look in the pod if you thought she's dead?
Looting, I'm assuming.
Also I'm probably the only one who likes the made-up swear words in scifi or fantasy. It adds to the atmosphere, and in the best case shows what things that are considered taboo have changed.

Don't know what 'shako' is, though. If it's just a random word with no context, it's just out-of-place.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
Lieju said:
Looting, I'm assuming.
Also I'm probably the only one who likes the made-up swear words in scifi or fantasy. It adds to the atmosphere, and in the best case shows what things that are considered taboo have changed.

Don't know what 'shako' is, though. If it's just a random word with no context, it's just out-of-place.
Sometimes its alright, I rather like "Frack" from Battlestar Galactica, and it's entered my everyday speech.

"Shtako" vaguely translates to "shit", but without meaning excrement.