Unskippable: Digital Devil Saga

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Great job guys! You have a knack for finding opening cutscenes where the events will only make sense in context. Are you guys planning on sticking to opening cinemas or are you willing to branch out to non-opening cutscenes?

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
"That would be a terrible strategy"
"You're a terrible strategy"
"Ouch..."

Also great Fallout 3 reference at the start BTW lol!

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
roblikestoskate said:
I love ATLUS's games, especially Shin Megami Tensei, but geez. Digital Devil Saga has to be the worst of the SMT bunch, which makes it such great cheese fodder.

You know you wanna do an Unskippable on Nocturne next...
I found DDS (and DDS2) to be the best Atlus game in the last years. Mainly for the really good story.

Also Nocturne wouldn't be fun to watch because there is no spoken dialogue.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
ElephantGuts said:
Ah yes, Spaceballs. And I think that was one of the most fucked up looking games I have ever seen. Especially the cat. But that's the reason I stay away from JRPGs and, well, any game coming out of Japan.
It is weird but it (and part 2) has also a great story (the best one in any game ever IMO).

And you don't like games from Japan? You library of games must be very limited....and maybe boring.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Whoo, a game i've actually played.

Anyways I thought it was quite good, one of your better ones. To many good lines to list here.

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
Awesome. The final frontier for these people. And they've just crossed it. But seriously... where the hell do they find these strange and peculiar games?

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Ronwue said:
Awesome. The final frontier for these people. And they've just crossed it. But seriously... where the hell do they find these strange and peculiar games?
E-Mails sent by users probably.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Vlane said:
ElephantGuts said:
Ah yes, Spaceballs. And I think that was one of the most fucked up looking games I have ever seen. Especially the cat. But that's the reason I stay away from JRPGs and, well, any game coming out of Japan.
It is weird but it (and part 2) has also a great story (the best one in any game ever IMO).

And you don't like games from Japan? You library of games must be very limited....and maybe boring.
The creepy underage teenage androgous boys and girls, the way its always them who are right and have to save the world with their painfully shrill voices, the fact that every JRPG is about 1 minute of gameplay per 1 hour of cutscene. Sonic and Mario and other J-Platformers are fine (Well, Sonic used to be fine) but every other Japanese game I've played was just so painful to even try.

Plus, they don't seem to make anything aside from JRPGs and novel-games. Shooters, RTS, TBS, space sims, etc, are not apart of the typical Japanese gaming catalog.

Moonmover

Feb 12, 2009
scotth266 said:
Giant tentacled artichokes: the natural predator of game characters.
But seriously, I enjoyed this. Three Dog reference all the way.
The one thing I don't remember the reference to was the meow at the end... seems strangely familiar.
Now if only the giant glowing holes around my campus were filled with something other than radiation (if you get my drift).
It's a cat. It goes "meow!" Why does that have to be a pop-culture reference?

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Doug said:
Vlane said:
ElephantGuts said:

The creepy underage teenage androgous boys and girls, the way its always them who are right and have to save the world with their painfully shrill voices, the fact that every JRPG is about 1 minute of gameplay per 1 hour of cutscene. Sonic and Mario and other J-Platformers are fine (Well, Sonic used to be fine) but every other Japanese game I've played was just so painful to even try.

Plus, they don't seem to make anything aside from JRPGs and novel-games. Shooters, RTS, TBS, space sims, etc, are not apart of the typical Japanese gaming catalog.
1 minute of gameplay per 1 hour of cutscene? There we see that there is no grind in JRPG's.

You have to play some good JRPG's. Not that Final Fantasy crap.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Doug said:

That's the sterio type but it dosen't make it true. For example Romance of the Three Kingdoms one of the most famous turn based statagy games, is made by Koei, a japanese developer.

Though it is true that FPS aren't popular in japan, so japanese companys dont make them.

roblikestoskate

Oct 16, 2008
Vlane said:
roblikestoskate said:
I love ATLUS's games, especially Shin Megami Tensei, but geez. Digital Devil Saga has to be the worst of the SMT bunch, which makes it such great cheese fodder.

I found DDS (and DDS2) to be the best Atlus game in the last years. Mainly for the really good story.

True. There was no dialogue in Nocturne. It probably wouldn't work.

The story of DDS had better damn well be good, because the gameplay was two huge steps backward compared to Nocturne's Hard Mode, and thus hard to accept. In fact, Nocturne is the only RPG where the gameplay kept me interested rather than the story. And I'm relieved to hear that DDS's story was good, because I lost interest about half way through the first disc. I think I was on that abandoned cruise ship or something when I just hit threshold on gameplay tedium. And maybe the characters develop further, but I just didn't find them to be particularly interesting and I didn't see the story going anywhere. Take your input on good faith and give the game another chance. I have both discs, so perhaps DDS2 is where the storyline payoff occurs. I guess my philosophy is that playing the game should be its own reward, not the work required to get to a juicy storyline snippet.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Vlane said:
Doug said:
Vlane said:
ElephantGuts said:

1 minute of gameplay per 1 hour of cutscene? There we see that there is no grind in JRPG's.

You have to play some good JRPG's. Not that Final Fantasy crap.
I haven't played Final Fanatasy. I've played Blue Dragon and Metal Gear Solid ... 2 (which is the one with the whiny bugger as your playable character?). And to be honest, I'm not buying a PS3 just to play JRPGs. Is Last Remant any good? The PC demo seems to be badly ported so I didn't give it a proper go.

EDIT:
As for the abuance of cutscenes, I still hold with the view that if I wanted a fanatasy movie, I'd buy or rent a DVD of a fanatasy movie, not a fanatasy movie pretending to be a game.

Eric the Orange said:
That's the sterio type but it dosen't make it true. For example one of the most famous turn based statagy games, is made by Koei a japanese developer.

Though it is true that FPS aren't popular in japan, so japanese companys dont make them.
The Romance of the Three Kingdoms? I did try a demo of one of them, but couldn't get a handle on them. Didn't even realise they (the series) where popular.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
roblikestoskate said:
Vlane said:
roblikestoskate said:

True. There was no dialogue in Nocturne. It probably wouldn't work.

The story of DDS had better damn well be good, because the gameplay was two huge steps backward compared to Nocturne's Hard Mode, and thus hard to accept. In fact, Nocturne is the only RPG where the gameplay kept me interested rather than the story. And I'm relieved to hear that DDS's story was good, because I lost interest about half way through the first disc. I think I was on that abandoned cruise ship or something when I just hit threshold on gameplay tedium. And maybe the characters develop further, but I just didn't find them to be particularly interesting and I didn't see the story going anywhere. Take your input on good faith and give the game another chance. I have both discs, so perhaps DDS2 is where the storyline payoff occurs. I guess my philosophy is that playing the game should be its own reward, not the work required to get to a juicy storyline snippet.
The story really gets better in the second game.

I don't force you to play through them but if you have some time to spend go play through it. Maybe you will like it by the end.

I actually found DDS to be a little bit harder than Nocturne. I took me a few months until I could beat Luzifer but I have yet to beat Demi-Fiend on DDS. Other than that I thought that the difficulty was on the same level.