Unskippable: Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories - Gardening In Hell is Hard

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
scorptatious said:
Strife2GFAQs said:
I'm nuts for JRPGs and all, but HOW is this **** popular? Atelier (limited as it is) feels like Persona quality compared to this. Maybe the gameplay salvages it. Being an SRPG, I'll never know.

I feel dirty watching this.
It most definitely does. Besides the large amount of classes you can play as and the large amount of customization, the lv. cap in these games is 9999. And you can go FAR FAR beyond that through constantly reincarnating your characters.

Plus, the stories and characters are pretty humorous IMO. Of course, it is an acquired taste I'll admit.
If you're still unsure, I would recommend HCBailly's Let's Play of the PSP remake of the original [https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeZSRkjynvkuTS3N9JoDMfPlyV3chOgCr]. He's considerate enough to edit out any level-grinding (which gets pretty funny during the post-game [https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C4b0NDpPY9g#t=66]), and he's overall pretty entertaining.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
If you want the other demons to accept you as their Overlord, you have to work to earn their trust. Crashing meteors onto your roommate's garden will not endear them to you. Or maybe it will, who knows how things work down in the Underworld.

varmintx

Oct 6, 2011
anian said:
So children (they look to be at most young teenagers) talk about flower planting, acting like kinder-gardeners AND there's a girl wearing practically S&M clothes...who the hell is this game for!?
Otaku and pretty much no one else. However, I'm not going to sit here and proclaim that it shouldn't exist. I'm tired of the majority trying to turn every game into a grey/brown twitch shooter (or, at least, something else that appeals to the "dude-bro" market). I like diversity; I like the idea that a game as niche as this can still be viable even if I have no interest in it myself.

Besides, if these games didn't exist, we wouldn't get to enjoy the best Unskippables. :)

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
MowDownJoe said:
scorptatious said:
Strife2GFAQs said:
I'm nuts for JRPGs and all, but HOW is this **** popular? Atelier (limited as it is) feels like Persona quality compared to this. Maybe the gameplay salvages it. Being an SRPG, I'll never know.

It most definitely does. Besides the large amount of classes you can play as and the large amount of customization, the lv. cap in these games is 9999. And you can go FAR FAR beyond that through constantly reincarnating your characters.

Plus, the stories and characters are pretty humorous IMO. Of course, it is an acquired taste I'll admit.
If you're still unsure, I would recommend HCBailly's Let's Play of the PSP remake of the original [https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeZSRkjynvkuTS3N9JoDMfPlyV3chOgCr]. He's considerate enough to edit out any level-grinding (which gets pretty funny during the post-game [https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C4b0NDpPY9g#t=66]), and he's overall pretty entertaining.
Heh. Nice to see someone else on here watches HCBailly. :)

He's actually the one who got me into the series.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
So I definitely thought you were joking when you said that she just moved in as a roommate and there was nothing going on between them.

I totally forgot about that whole 'JRPG' thing.

Pescetarian

Jul 6, 2010
Why is the music for these JRPG cutscenes always so over-the-top and intrusive?

Ditto the acting.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I have no clue why the "...it was probably a weed." line made me crack up so much. The delivery maybe?

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Wait... she killed angels? By what? Hugging them to death?

Oh wait. She "harmed" them. Yeah, I can see that.

MoeMints

Apr 30, 2013
The series is actually pretty aware of its absurdity.

The premise of this and the original game is pretty much : What if you played from the tyrannical brat's perspective that is usually the final boss?

Suggestive things attached to super-zombies, killing an entire earth space fleet by riding said meteors, the true extra final for cereal gaiz boss's finally for real form being a penguin suit.

Said penguin suits being a shameful body for souls punished but not damned, meaning that penguin Etna kicked could be you in 50-80 years

Even things like the Red Ranger losing more and more partners (the most humorous time being Etna just shoots two of them during the pre-fight declaration of victory) until the point he's "recruiting" your team and monsters.

Makabriel said:

Its much more weird than you hoped, but more direct than you think.

One of her ultimate moves is cosplaying as Godzilla and being able to do atomic breath for no explained reason.

Jan 22, 2011
Makabriel said:

Nope she actually killed fellow angles using a holy bow or special attacks.

Thunderous Cacophony said:
You know, the first thing I would do as Overlord is pass a law saying no one can crash meteorites into my house or lawn (except for me). It just seems like the best thing to do.

Also, I don't know who told JRPG makers that they could simulate a shirt with a band of cloth across the breasts and some armbands, but I wish they'd stop.
Let's be honest here etna's a 1350 succubus with no breast, I don't see the harm.

Ringwraith

Absolutely Useless
Jan 15, 2009
Strife2GFAQs said:

That opening was... not its strongest.
I've not played D2, but I hear it was quite disappointing.
They're quite often better than this at the off, being rather silly most of the time.
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
Makabriel said:

Nope she actually killed fellow angles using a holy bow or special attacks.
She has the greatest magic stat in the first game actually, which means if you teach her some offensive spells she utterly destroys things.
Then later her unique specials do rather a lot of non-elemental (which is really rare) magic damage.

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
As someone who appreciates "niche" games (I WANT HOMEWORLD 3 DAMIT!) i wont deny any game the right to exist (maybe barbie games, though), but i cannot get the appeal of JRPGS. Unskippable is the most contact i got with them and every game where i have to press buttons for 20 minutes to advance the text are not for me...

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Laharl: Morons! Reasonable amounts of clothing is for weak humans and love freaks!

Sadly, I find you less effective when doing game intros that are already deliberately tongue-in-cheek. Maybe the actual Cursed Memories intro will prove to be better material (I certainly liked Adel's voice better than Laharl's anyway).

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Pescetarian said:
Why is the music for these JRPG cutscenes always so over-the-top and intrusive?

Ditto the acting.
Actually the Disgaea series is known for being over the top, it's what it does, and it doesn't take itself seriously.

OT: I was confused as to why the subtitle said anything about gardening as there isn't any in Disgaea 2. This is Disgaea Dimension 2, or DD2 for short.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Who keeps hiring these horrible voice actors? It's so bad they'd be better off just with text.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
If flowers don't grow in the Netherworld, where are all the flowers and grass from ?? Lost minecraft blocks ?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Y'know, there's lots of anime and manga where the dialogue is kind of stilted or stylized, and I can roll with it.

This is more like four-year-olds imagining how big people talk. I don't want to spend another twenty hours listening to these characters; I want to hand them a coloring book and hope they stop interrupting.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I'm glad the comments are (so far) classy enough to ignore that whole "nourish the plants with my overflowing love" line she says... while holding her skirt in her hands and little love hearts over her head... yeah.

Thankfully, I'm not. The dumb joke shall not go unmade.

Oh, Japan...