Unskippable: Dishonored

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Dishonored

Teleporting assassins? Isn't that kind of cheating?

Watch Video

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Plus, y'know, the dude had an evil voice...

Pretty sure that's actually pommel-whipped.

Maybe it's just me, but those chest-holsters for flintlocks actually look really impractical, as in you'd have to hold your hand and arm at a really awkward angle and pull when you have little leverage.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
And Eagle vision isn't?
It seems like a lot of Dunwall's problems would have been solved with cats, both the plague and weeding out potential evil-geniuses.
Well, cats....think about it - they are really fucking murderous [http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill] right now, imagine what would happen if they start crying blood and attacking even more. Also, I can totally see the Outsider taking their side and giving them, like, powers and stuff. Basically, had cats existed in Dunwall, the whole world would have been eradicated.

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
"Ahoy, zis is my boat, goodbye."

I don't know why but i thought that part was hilarious!

Jan 12, 2012
leviadragon99 said:
Maybe it's just me, but those chest-holsters for flintlocks actually look really impractical, as in you'd have to hold your hand and arm at a really awkward angle and pull when you have little leverage.
That what I was thinking as I was watching that. There's no way you could draw that gun in anything approaching haste (like, say, if you needed to shoot an escaping prisoner before he bites your eyes out).

And as for the teleporting assassins, it seems like that technology would make this operation way easier than it was: One guy BAMFs in, grabs the girl and leaves, while another drops a bomb with a half-second fuse. Even if you watched the guys teleporting their way over, you'd have a devil of a time stopping it.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
leviadragon99 said:
That what I was thinking as I was watching that. There's no way you could draw that gun in anything approaching haste (like, say, if you needed to shoot an escaping prisoner before he bites your eyes out).

And as for the teleporting assassins, it seems like that technology would make this operation way easier than it was: One guy BAMFs in, grabs the girl and leaves, while another drops a bomb with a half-second fuse. Even if you watched the guys teleporting their way over, you'd have a devil of a time stopping it.
consider they seam to hang on to the body via a pin in a slide there might be a option to rotate it for a better grip, still a stupid place to put it, but it´s possibly not as stiff as the game models show.

As for the Assassins, problems is they seam to be unable to act the second they teleport, heck best way to kill them in game is to just keep a sharp eye and when one teleport to attack you just shoot them in the face while they stand there like a statue for a second.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
I don't care what you have to say about that water elevator... I'd much rather ride on that elevator than the golden elevator shown here:

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Really funny work, guys. And wow, those were some awkward body movements. I was expecting British accents for some reason, and an explanation for why Corvo doesn't talk. he could have at least tried to defend himself from being accused for regicide, or even something like "Look out for those teleporting assassins!"

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
remmus said:
As for the Assassins, problems is they seam to be unable to act the second they teleport, heck best way to kill them in game is to just keep a sharp eye and when one teleport to attack you just shoot them in the face while they stand there like a statue for a second.
Oh, its not just them, you get it too. And your powers/range weapons are all in one slot, so yeah, they have to teleport, then change weapons to do anything but stab.

pigmy wurm

Nov 18, 2009
What if you get pommeled by a sword with a pistol grip? Would that then count as pistol whipping someone with a sword?

I enjoy silent protagonists, but if your going to make one either provide a reason, or try to stay away from moments where his inexplicable silence is an active detriment. Link never got anyone killed because he didn't speak up.

But the game looks cool anyway.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Paul's pistol-whipping explanation reminded me that we have not had an episode of The Whole Story for over half a year.

Also:
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=pistol said:
pistol (n.)
"small hand-held firearm," 1570s, from Middle French pistole "short firearm" (1566), of uncertain origin, sometimes said to be from German Pistole, from Czech pis'tala "firearm," lit. "tube, pipe," from pisteti "to whistle," of imitative origin, related to Russian pischal "shepherd's pipe."

But earlier English form pistolet (1550) is said to be from Middle French pistolet "a small firearm," also "a small dagger," which may be the literal sense; though some connect this word with Italian pistolese, in reference to Pistoia, town in Tuscany noted for gunsmithing. Pistol-whip (v.) is first recorded 1942.
And then:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol-whip said:
Paul Wellman notes that clubbing an opponent with the butt of a gun held by its barrel, as seen in some Westerns, has its problems. There are several reasons why it would be wrong, one of which is that the gun would be rendered useless for its primary purpose, which is to fire a projectile out of the barrel. There is also the danger of an unintentional discharge which could fatally wound the "clubber". In addition, there would also be a loss of precious time to switch from holding the barrel to holding the grip in the usual way.

Instead, pistol-whipping was done with gun held in an ordinary manner, hitting the target with an overhand strike from either the long, heavy barrel of the gun, or the side of the gun in the area of the cylinder. It was a fairly common and highly successful way to knock a man unconscious (assisted by the heavy weight of the handguns of the day), and was known as "buffaloing", with the verb form being "to buffalo".[3][4] This form of pistol-whipping with an 1860s-style revolver was tested on the Spike TV television show Deadliest Warrior.[5] The testers showed that using the long barrel of a Colt revolver in a whipping motion produced enough force to fracture a skull and could potentially kill a man with a single blow.
Finally:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butt-stroking said:
The buttstroke or butt-stroking, i.e., striking someone with the buttstock of a rifle,[1] is a common case of the use of a firearm as a blunt weapon. Buttstroke is among the major offensive techniques with the rifle and bayonet
Tangential learning!

Bribase

Nov 30, 2010
I know it's not relevant to the video but bloody hell it looks ugly on whatever they are playing it on.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
I thought that being "pistol whipped" by a sword was it was known as simply being "pummeled" as the knobby part of the sword was called the pommel.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Don Reba said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butt-stroking said:
The buttstroke or butt-stroking, i.e., striking someone with the buttstock of a rifle,[1] is a common case of the use of a firearm as a blunt weapon. Buttstroke is among the major offensive techniques with the rifle and bayonet
Tangential learning!
I forgot what I was going to say because I saw "butt-stroke" and my inner 8 year old took over.