Unskippable: Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns

And boy, she's quite mad she didn't get invited to this party.

Watch Video

Jan 12, 2012
Could someone explain for the uninitiated what the hell is going on?

The black mist seems evil, and the jackal guys come out of the Evil Wallpaper and dragged a girl into there, so you'd think that would be a dangerous place. But apparently Snow can just make a portal and go walking on in. And now there is a three-way battle between the jackal-demons, the saviour of the world who enjoys eating souls, and Snow, who is maybe-evil and has awesome ice powers but apparently wants to spend the end of the world at a nightclub.

On a side not, it's hilarious to me that Lightening's broken sword is still larger than the average real sword.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I only saw the FF13 review that Spoony made, so I have no clue what happened in FF13-2 or this one. But I think I know enough not to want to play this.
I was rooting for Anubis' puppies there. Also, she's Raziel from Soul Reaver now...?
And, yes, the fight scene was pretty awesome-looking, but then so was the intro to FF13. It's... it's like these developers should make actual CGI movies rather than games. Oh, and get better writers while they're at it, because visuals and choreography alone aren't enough for a good movie, either.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Thunderous Cacophony said:

The black mist seems evil, and the jackal guys come out of the Evil Wallpaper and dragged a girl into there, so you'd think that would be a dangerous place. But apparently Snow can just make a portal and go walking on in. And now there is a three-way battle between the jackal-demons, the saviour of the world who enjoys eating souls, and Snow, who is maybe-evil and has awesome ice powers but apparently wants to spend the end of the world at a nightclub.

On a side not, it's hilarious to me that Lightening's broken sword is still larger than the average real sword.
Black mist is called Chaos. It's basically evil energy. Snow can enter the chaos because he was a l'Cie/he's the reason that the mist is there/weird Japanese logic. Lightning isn't eating souls, she's saving them (main gameplay mechanic). Snow's evil because he is being slowly consumed by chaos for over 500 years. He's wasting his life away because he blames himself for his fiance's death. He's also there because he's the "leader" of Yusnaan.

Source: Currently playing through the game.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
I have played (and actually kind of enjoyed) ff13 and I have no bloody clue wtf was going on there.
Also is sazh in this? He was my favorite character but it seems he got kinda left behind.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I watched the KStW of this. Despite the insulin tilt, from what I saw... Well, I think it was agreed that we don't speak of how it went.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
the FFXIII series makes me feel so bad for Troy Baker the same way that the Halo games made me feel bad for Jen Taylor.

I mean he's a really good actor, and he's trying so hard. But he has to read such cringe worthy lines and act opposite one of the worst actresses alive today.

And what ever happened to Ali Hillis anyway? She was really good in Mass Effect 1. Did she have a lobotomy between ME1 and FFXIII?

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
Mikeyfell said:
And what ever happened to Ali Hillis anyway? She was really good in Mass Effect 1. Did she have a lobotomy between ME1 and FFXIII?
Actors play the role they are given, so blame her flatness on the fact that after the tutorial it is revealed that Lightning was made emotionless.

And as someone who actually likes the FF XIII trilogy, I still call bull on that.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I kinda liked ff13 and this whole blathering about "sin", "god" and "darkness" is just so irritating.
Like, can squeenix even tell a story that isn't "grr religion bad" anymore?
Everything they established in 13 by making people read the goddamn footnotes has been thrown out of the window.

What even is a fal-cie anymore? What about lightnings focus or any of that crap?
Will she still turn into a cyberzombie if she doesn't fulfill some poorly defined task or what?
What's with those anubis things and dragons, are those things that lived on pulse?
Where are the robots and cyborgs, isn't this some sort of ridiculously advanced hyper future?

There was no reason for this to be a ff13 game at all. The setting doesn't even match.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Mikeyfell said:
The line "We were brought back without emotions to get the job done" is something they actually say in the game.

Possibly slightly paraphrased because I really don't want to bother looking through three hours of Youtube or Twitch footage to find it exactly, but yeah.

Thunderous Cacophony said:
Probably not, no. The game makes no sense at all. And the asinine twist at the end makes it make even less sense.

OT: I watched all seven-eight hours of Kathleen streaming that game, and my first thoughts when it was over were "It takes a lot of work to make Final Fantasy XIII look subtle and restrained, and yet somehow they managed to do it."

I mean, it's impressive enough that they managed to be even more melodramatic than Kingdom Hearts, but I didn't think they could make the Final Fantasy XIII storyline even more ridiculous.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
loa said:
I kinda liked ff13 and this whole blathering about "sin", "god" and "darkness" is just so irritating.
Like, can squeenix even tell a story that isn't "grr religion bad" anymore?
Everything they established in 13 by making people read the goddamn footnotes has been thrown out of the window.

What even is a fal-cie anymore? What about lightnings focus or any of that crap?
Will she still turn into a cyberzombie if she doesn't fulfill some poorly defined task or what?
What's with those anubis things and dragons, are those things that lived on pulse?
Where are the robots and cyborgs, isn't this some sort of ridiculously advanced hyper future?

There was no reason for this to be a ff13 game at all. The setting doesn't even match.
As I understand it Bhunivelze ("god") is sort of the arch-fal'Cie, and he told Lightning to save the world. So presumably saving the world is her focus and she will become a Cie'th if she fails (though since the world would end it probably doesn't matter). The anubis things and dragons are Chaos spawn and Chaos is the "demonic" force which will, according to Bhunivelze, end the world.

As for the robots and cyborgs, I believe that it was mostly just the Cocoon civilization that was extremely advanced so with them being destroyed such technology would be rarer.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
Lightning should be renamed to Woodstump. Describes her character much, much better.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Final Fantasy XIII was fine all on its own, despite its flaws. Convoluted sequels were the last things it needed.

madmatt

Jan 12, 2010
Rawbeard said:
Lightning should be renamed to Woodstump. Describes her character much, much better.
Or possibly 'Stoney'

I think wallpaper is an underrated method of travel

KingdomFantasyXIII

Apr 4, 2012
Mahorfeus said:
Final Fantasy XIII was fine all on its own, despite its flaws. Convoluted sequels were the last things it needed.
Isn't that quote something we call all describe the direct sequels to FF in general though?

"Final Fantasy X was fine all on its own, despite its flaws. Convoluted sequels were the last things it needed."

"Final Fantasy VII was fine all on its own, despite its flaws. Convoluted sequels were the last things it needed."

The problems to this franchise derive from one thing: unnecessary Direct sequels. Same can go with KH and it's games (KH3D,RE Coded, and 358/2 days). and other companies in Japan need to stop doing this too (LOOKING AT YOU ATLUS)

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
I haven't played any of the FF games since the original XIII, so I have no idea how we got from that to the events I just saw in this video. Should I try and find out, or would it just confuse me more?

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Who do you find that's willing to serve drinks at an "end of the world" party?
Yeah, my End of the World party will definitely be BYOB. If I happen to have a surplus of liquor at the time, then at the very least, it's gonna be Pour Your Own.

KingdomFantasyXIII

Apr 4, 2012
thejboy88 said:
I haven't played any of the FF games since the original XIII, so I have no idea how we got from that to the events I just saw in this video. Should I try and find out, or would it just confuse me more?
Nah, It's become my rule to just say NO to the direct sequels. Play just the number titled games. That's where the best balance of story, character development and battle system is.

octochan

Apr 3, 2013
Is 'the Nightclub at the End of the World' something like 'the Restaurant at the End of the Universe'? You get to go back and experience the show every evening? Or is it more exclusive than that, like they have the End of the World once a month and it's invitation only?