Unskippable: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Worst place to wake up after a night of drinking? Dead body pile.

Watch Video

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Well, that failed to engage me in any way. Graham and Paul were the only thing that made that watchable. Without them, it would just be generic fantasy opener #419.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Man, I hate it when I wake up next to a bunch of strange corpses after a bender.

ForgottenPr0digy said:
I couldn't really tell what was going on in the beginning cutscene
It'd be unfair if you did, since your character has amnesia.

who are those armored guys?
Bad Guys.

Why was their a random women dead?
Ponies

Why all of sudden we see a head get chopped off??
Because back scratching doesn't make for a very compelling scene.

WTF are those guys elves?
You mean the race that's being explained in the video?

Why does that guy have yugioh cards?
Because it's a mechanic of the game, explained on the back of the box, in promotional material, AND in gameplay.

Square1

Oct 12, 2010
Funny as always :)

Though no "bring out your dead" Python reference for the cart scene? Low hanging fruit is the most delicious!

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I played Yu-Gi-Oh to the death a few times. That first time I died was a tad uncomfortable, but once you get in good with the ferryman it it's just like a river cruse...

I'm not very good at Yu-Gi-Oh...

Apr 28, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Well, that failed to engage me in any way. Graham and Paul were the only thing that made that watchable. Without them, it would just be generic fantasy opener #419.
And that's why I quit the demo right when I got to the first town. Which was right after that dungeon.

Such a boring an uninspired setting. I just couldn't play it anymore after the first thirty minutes.

Garfy

Nov 6, 2009
Amalur has some good combo based combat but is waaaay too long, condensed to about half as long would have turned a good game into a great one.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
leviadragon99 said:
No worse place to wake up eh... a pile of corpses that's on fire?
That tends to smell better at least. In that sort of "all you can smell is smoke" kind of way.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Lancer873 said:
leviadragon99 said:
No worse place to wake up eh... a pile of corpses that's on fire?
That tends to smell better at least. In that sort of "all you can smell is smoke" kind of way.
Yeah, but the smoke is made from burning flesh and hair....from dead bodies...old dead bodies.

Random Wanderer

Apr 15, 2009
Amalur was a functional, decent RPG. I'd even go so far as to call it good. I like the significance of Fate in the world, and the way the Fae interact with it and all. However, it has a poor choice of starting area once you get outside the first dungeon (generic RPG forest with generic RPG town in it). There are a number of more interesting, unusual, and visually-appealing areas in the game, but you aren't likely to get to any of them until you're several hours in.

Also, for all the work someone clearly did put into writing all the stuff about the Fae, and the interesting way Fate plays a part in the world, they failed to really make the game or the characters engaging. It is fun to play, but that isn't always enough.

Really, it is a fairly good action-RPG. If you're looking to play one of those, then hey, here you go. It's a decent timewaster where you can have fun killing baddies and saving the world. If you want something that will draw you in with it's engaging and immersive plotline and characters and such, you're probably better off looking elsewhere.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
X3

yeah, not many worse places you can wake up then a pile of dead people.

fun game though, need to go back and finish it

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Not only does Gadflow have one of the silliest villain names in a game trying to take itself seriously, but he also sounds like Pete... as in the Disney character, Goofy's nemesis.

lomifeh

May 23, 2012
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Not only does Gadflow have one of the silliest villain names in a game trying to take itself seriously, but he also sounds like Pete... as in the Disney character, Goofy's nemesis.
Avoiding spoilers but they actually deal with all that in the game. As you progress you learn more about exactly who and what Gadflow is/was.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Or if you're going to die, make sure you stay dead.

Also, at least this time they bold facedly told you you died.