Unskippable: Lollipop Chainsaw

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
The Random One said:
"Her dad has black hair. Blonde hair is a recessive gene. Everyone on this family dies their hair."

Or just her father does, sexist swines.
Good point! I guess we just assumed he wasn't since he's going grey, and that would have to be part of the dyeing.

Also, I don't see how that was remotely sexist.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
lord.jeff said:
Recessive genes means it's hidden, a dark haired man can still carry a blonde hair gene, it's two blondes that can't have a dark haired kid.
Yeah I cringed at that part.

Graham_LRR said:
The Random One said:
"Her dad has black hair. Blonde hair is a recessive gene. Everyone on this family dies their hair."

Good point! I guess we just assumed he wasn't since he's going grey, and that would have to be part of the dyeing.

Also, I don't see how that was remotely sexist.
I think the joke is that you presumed that all the women were dying their hair (the least likely scenario) versus the one man dying his (the more likely scenario).

However this is assuming an incorrect understanding of biology.

But yeah, I think they were joking.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
The Random One said:

One of the girls has pink hair, so it would not be just the father in any case.

His_Ryanness

Jul 28, 2009
Graham_LRR said:
The Random One said:

I personally think this is less of an issue than you guys apparently not understanding how recessive genes work.

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
His_Ryanness said:
Graham_LRR said:
The Random One said:

I personally think this is less of an issue than you guys apparently not understanding how recessive genes work.
Your original reply to me had some stats, which I assume you've since removed.

You said there was a 50/50 chance of him having a blonde child, assuming he had a recessive gene.
Okay.
What are the chances of three blonde children?
That's where we were coming from.

Anorgil

Mar 24, 2004
1/8, of course.

It's like flipping a coin three times and getting tails every time. Not unreasonable by any means.

His_Ryanness

Jul 28, 2009
Graham_LRR said:
Your original reply to me had some stats, which I assume you've since removed.

You said there was a 50/50 chance of him having a blonde child, assuming he had a recessive gene.
Okay.
What are the chances of three blonde children?
That's where we were coming from.
Sorry, I removed a lot of it because I was worried I was just repeating what others had said. Now I feel like the final edit was harsher than I meant to be. Sorry about that. The video is otherwise funny, it's just that that joke doesn't particularly work if you really think about the science. (I still love you guys!)

As Anorgil says, it's 1/8. To put that in perspective, it's the same probability that all the children would be brunette (if the father has the recessive gene, which isn't too uncommon -- he's certain to have it if one of his parents was a blonde). You also said that they ALL must dye their hair, which is a much stronger statement than if you had said "it's unlikely that nobody in this family dyes their hair". The more relevant number is the 50/50, because if even one child is a natural blonde and all the rest dye their hair then what you said isn't true. In fact the probability that there would be AT LEAST one natural blonde out of three children (if the father has a recessive blonde gene) is 7/8.

Oh, unless the parents both have recessive red hair genes as well, in which case the probability is maybe a LITTLE lower because some children could potentially be redheads. If all three were redheads though, I'd check if the wife has a redheaded "friend".

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
He he, good to see the mistake about the recessive gene already pointed out in the comments here. The Escapist, you make me proud. Maybe we could post some Punnett squares to better illustrate how this works?