Unskippable: Metroid: Other M Part 2

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
..Yep, just as agonizing the first time playing through it.

Let's be honest, the sharp object sitting nearby you as you try to watch these cutscenes looks very welcoming at times, with this monologue..

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
ewhac said:
I have never played any of the Metroid games. Having seen this set of cutscenes, I feel no urge to do so.

My guess is that the voice actress thought that flat affect == badass detachment. Uh, no.
Don't judge the whole series based on this game, that'd be like judging the entire Batman franchise on the '60s TV show.

mjc0961 said:
Good god. Those cutscenes are truly terrible. They were so bad that I wanted to stop the video despite the jokes being great. That's how bad those cutscenes are. I mean, damn. I can hear Samus right now following up this post with "mjc didn't like the cutscenes and was close to turning the video off". Who wrote this crap, and who thought this voice acting was good?! And I thought FemShep sounded like a monotone robot. FemShep sounds normal compared to Samus. Good god.
Yeah, in all the history of Unskippable, I've never found the videos as painful to watch as these, the jokes made it only barely watchable, that's how god-awful I found the cutscenes.

Zyxx

Jan 25, 2010
ewhac said:
I have never played any of the Metroid games. Having seen this set of cutscenes, I feel no urge to do so.

My guess is that the voice actress thought that flat affect == badass detachment. Uh, no.
Please, please, PLEASE do not judge all Metroid games by this tripe. This is COMPLETELY different in tone, style and most aspects of gameplay. Earlier Metroid games had no cutscenes at all, unless you count a few seconds of boss monsters roaring at you. Later ones are mostly action-oriented cutscenes, with some dialogue in Fusion (no VA) and the Primes (VA in 2 and 3, but not for Samus).

Here's hoping Nintendo learns from this mess and gives the Metroid rights to someone who actually knows what they hell they're doing.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
It really does get worse. FSM help us all.

I think it's time to officially declare Fanon Discontinuity on this abomination. This game was never made.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Kysafen said:
I wonder what would get you guys to do a full blown LP of this game...
I'd feel guilty for watching them sit through such a torturous ordeal. JESUS CHRIST those cutscenes. I can understand them making plenty of LOL-worthy jokes, but to put to laugh at Paul and Grahams expense on such a level is purely inhumane.
I wouldn't be able to sleep with myself....FREUDIAN SLIP!!

I mean I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing what they went through :(

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
They... really went overboard with the voiceacting. I mean, they went from silent protagonist to protagonist that never-shuts-the-fuck-up! (Thanks Spoony!)

What's worse is that I don't think she actually said anything to the people she met in this cutscene. Every single line from her was narrating what she had said or what she was thinking. I'm not a fan of the silent protagonist myself, mostly because it feels unatural if none of the NPCs seem to notice or care that the big hero next to them never opens his mouth (Alyx telling Gordon how he's a man of few words was funny but only made it worse).

But this game just tosses that advantage out of the window, since we still can only infer that she talked at some point, while running into every pitfall that makes people dislike speaking protagonists, and digging a few new ones while they're at it.

It isn't their usual style, but I hope the Unskippable crew treats the scene with Ridley (lame-ass name for a dragon btw) too. That scene can't get beaten on enough.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
God, this one was painful to listen to. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to give Samus a voice after 20+ years?

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
So basically, on top of what this comment thread has mentioned so far, Samus cannot use her abilities until she gets authorization from.... from some douchebag who leads a squad without the ability to open hatches like the one we saw Samus shoot open. A squad without NORMAL MISSILES.

Graham... please tell me you and Paul will be doing something else next week. I don't think I'd be able to handle a three-parter of Other M.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
I have never played Other M before, but have heard some pretty bad stuff...

I did not think it was THIS bad.

Still can't stop laughing. Good job on this one.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Possibly one of the worst cutscenes ever.
I swear, it was painful even to make it past the jokes, as funny as they are, to reach the end.

I've haven't been this bored and annoyed with cinematics since....the Twilight movies.

That should be a contest. It's a tie from where I stand.

Findlebob

Mar 24, 2011
Swifteye said:
You could hold a class discussion over all the narrative problems in this game. I have no idea how Moviebob, Neverchris, and my friend chris and his older brother could like this game or how samus is portrayed. The only thing all those people have in common is that they are serious nintendo fans but I don't think that can be a saving grace this time around.

Also good one about the Gordon freeman thing the game probably would have been different if he talked and had terrible or odd dialogue.
Can you tell me when or where moviebob said that? Id like to see that for myself.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Seriously, all of Yahtzee's comments on this piece of crap, multiplied by 1,000!!!
Urgh! Major facepalm :'(

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Well Samus sure sounds broken up about the whole thing,"....it pierced my heart."

Great emoting there, what, did she have a brain hemorrhage right before those lines? God that was painful.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wow, this has to be one of the worst cutscene I've ever seen. And I've watched every Unskippable. Samus speaks in one tone through the entire video, can't emote and the writing is absolute shit. WTF happened?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
No offence to you guys but dialogue like "Code name: Baby's Cry, a common SOS with the urgency of a baby crying, the nickname comes from the fact that the purpose of the signal is to draw attention" read like an encyclopaedia, mocks Other M better than anyone else can :D

..."it. was. as. though. it. were. crying. for. me."

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Wow. Now suddenly everyone's bitching and moaning about the killing of Samus's character makes sense. I didn't think it would be THAT bad. It boardered on hard-to-watch. Yahtzee, James, Allison, Daniel. I'm sorry I ever doubted you.
------------
"The only solution is to slowly burn through the door."
Paul: "That's your only solution to everything."

I laughed harder at that joke than I probably should've. Heh, I've already talked about how the lamest quips get me, though.

SaunaKalja

Sep 18, 2009
A "babys cry" emergency signal? I guess that's effective for alarming emotionally unstable female characters. Personally my response to that kind of signal would be the "Plug your ears"-protocol and "Go the opposite way"-maneuver.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Can I have permission to punch her now?

Oh wait! I don't need anyone's permission!

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
SaunaKalja said:
A "babys cry" emergency signal? I guess that's effective for alarming emotionally unstable female characters. Personally my response to that kind of signal would be the "Plug your ears"-protocol and "Go the opposite way"-maneuver.
But wouldn't you catch heat from potential employers for "Abandonment" and "mistreating" the importance of the signal? It sure wouldn't help, given the "social" nature of the... er...

Can I star over? I'm not good with the parenthood analogies.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
RJ Dalton said:
Dear God, Samus's voice acting is terrible. I'm usually not terribly bothered by bad acting, but that's . . . I couldn't possibly stand a whole game listening to that.
I'm just gonna say it. Is Samus an Elcor?

I. Am. Sad. His. Words. Cut. Me.

I haven't seen a character so devoid of emotion and personality since Neo.
TBH it would be an improvement if she was. At least then she could just spell out to us what emotions she is feeling despite being unable to express them. I haven't seen a character so devoid of personality since the pet rock I had when I was 4, and at least the pet rock had a smiley face drawn on it.

Edit: I'm actually going to present a theory here that Samus is supposed to be autistic and the developers just never got round to telling anyone that. Because there is just no way any developer, not even Team Ninja, who could believe that is a believable interpretation of the personality of an independent female character.