Unskippable: Metroid: Other M Part 2

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Okay... originally I thought "Well, I haven't played Other M, maybe the story and the cutscenes aren't quite as bad as everyone says..."

Thank you, Unskippable, for reassuring me that Other M is terrible.

judgementbringer

Oct 25, 2010
I had almost forgotten why I hated this game so much. The gameplay was good, not as good as the other Metroid games mind you, but still good. But they just butchered EVERYTHING ELSE. I didn't even get through half of the game before I just quit. I'm just gonna pretend that this game never happened.

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
The blurb at the end was wrong. The gameplay is nearly as horrendous as the cutscenes.

Jul 9, 2008
ewhac said:
I have never played any of the Metroid games. Having seen this set of cutscenes, I feel no urge to do so.

My guess is that the voice actress thought that flat affect == badass detachment. Uh, no.
Please don't, the others are so good. Play the Primes. Play Fusion (my personal favorite). Play Super and the original if you can find them. Seriously, much better.

What really annoys me is that Fusion had Samus having an inner monologue and even diologe in one scene, and it was all very well written and not whiny at all. Plus, she described Adam (Other M took place before Fusion) and he was nothing like this.
Findlebob said:
Swifteye said:
You could hold a class discussion over all the narrative problems in this game. I have no idea how Moviebob, Neverchris, and my friend chris and his older brother could like this game or how samus is portrayed. The only thing all those people have in common is that they are serious nintendo fans but I don't think that can be a saving grace this time around.

Also good one about the Gordon freeman thing the game probably would have been different if he talked and had terrible or odd dialogue.
Can you tell me when or where moviebob said that? Id like to see that for myself.
Here [http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-40-heavens-metroid] you go.
Alakaizer said:
The blurb at the end was wrong. The gameplay is nearly as horrendous as the cutscenes.
I actually rather liked the combat for the most part. Except the boss battles (besides the one in the lava) and the pixel-hunt segments. Seriously, fuck those.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Wow. Just wow.

Hey, Team Ninja! Ya'll sexist?

Yeah, you're sexist.

The bad voice acting I can deal with. The stupid decisions of visor up while entering a hostile environment I can deal with... THE WRITING IS TERRIBLE. It's as if Team Ninja has never played a metroid game ever in their lives!

Oh, wait.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Mydnyght said:
So basically, on top of what this comment thread has mentioned so far, Samus cannot use her abilities until she gets authorization from.... from some douchebag who leads a squad without the ability to open hatches like the one we saw Samus shoot open. A squad without NORMAL MISSILES.

Graham... please tell me you and Paul will be doing something else next week. I don't think I'd be able to handle a three-parter of Other M.
The best part is you can't use missiles after because Adam didn't authorize it yet.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
MatParker116 said:
Dear Team Ninja

Fuck You very much

Signed

Me
Umm.. Team Ninja handled the actual gameplay. Nintendo are the ones to blame to blame for the direction, storyline and characters.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
MatParker116 said:
Dear Team Ninja

Fuck You very much

Signed

Me
Don't blame Team Ninja, they went on an interview to state they had nothing to do with the story, that was all Yoshio Sakamoto.

OT: ok escapist, your captcha has all the letters upside down, how am I supposed to type that in?

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Warachia said:
Mydnyght said:
So basically, on top of what this comment thread has mentioned so far, Samus cannot use her abilities until she gets authorization from.... from some douchebag who leads a squad without the ability to open hatches like the one we saw Samus shoot open. A squad without NORMAL MISSILES.

Graham... please tell me you and Paul will be doing something else next week. I don't think I'd be able to handle a three-parter of Other M.
The best part is you can't use missiles after because Adam didn't authorize it yet.
So many daddy issues

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
MatParker116 said:
Dear Team Ninja

Fuck You very much

Signed

Me
Umm.. Team Ninja handled the actual gameplay. Nintendo are the ones to blame to blame for the direction, storyline and characters.
Gameplay sucks as well but I get your point

Dear Nintendo/Team Ninja

Fuck You very much

Signed

Me

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Between Other M and Ninja Gaiden 1, I've really loved Team Ninja's game design. The combat in both is visceral and exciting, really puts you in the character, and their emphasis on traveling through different environments makes them good iterations on that classic Zelda or Metroidvania formula.

Other M's only problem is a lazy English localization, and that's not near enough to damn the whole game. A lot of well-remembered games have had far worse, only difference being that this one came out during a time of particular negativity in the already bitchy internet gaming community.

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
I actually rather liked the combat for the most part. Except the boss battles (besides the one in the lava) and the pixel-hunt segments. Seriously, fuck those.
The boss battles (especially the Nightmare, you played Fusion, you should understand why), pissed me off, the pixel-hunts nearly made me snap my Wii-mote, the cut-Samus's-speed-to-a-slow-crawl-and-lock-the-camera-behind-her bits nearly made me spew, and using missiles destroyed the flow for me, everything that was in it was either pointless or had been done before and better in another one. I've played all of them, so I know what of I speak.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Captcha: icyearce craw

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Findlebob said:
Swifteye said:
You could hold a class discussion over all the narrative problems in this game. I have no idea how Moviebob, Neverchris, and my friend chris and his older brother could like this game or how samus is portrayed. The only thing all those people have in common is that they are serious nintendo fans but I don't think that can be a saving grace this time around.

Also good one about the Gordon freeman thing the game probably would have been different if he talked and had terrible or odd dialogue.
Can you tell me when or where moviebob said that? Id like to see that for myself.
I can do better than that. I'll give you a link! http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-40-heavens-metroid

Deminobody

Nov 18, 2009
Out of all the Unskippables this game is the most excruciating one to watch. Graham and Paul are solid as ever, but the story tries so hard to be serious while failing so incredibly! They are trying to shoehorn a horrible personality onto a Nintendo favorite. It's like watching someone try to paint the Eiffel Tower purple and green.

Edit after seeing:
Swifteye said:
I can do better than that. I'll give you a link! http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-40-heavens-metroid
I can agree with Bob on the points that a lot of pre-Other M Samus was speculation by gamers. I'll still argue that the writing and voice acting, at least, are not done well enough to persuade people that these new characteristics are reasonable. Also, being that I've never played the game and am taking any first hand knowledge from Unskippables, I could easily be wrong.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
TBH it would be an improvement if she was. At least then she could just spell out to us what emotions she is feeling despite being unable to express them. I haven't seen a character so devoid of personality since the pet rock I had when I was 4, and at least the pet rock had a smiley face drawn on it.

Edit: I'm actually going to present a theory here that Samus is supposed to be autistic and the developers just never got round to telling anyone that. Because there is just no way any developer, not even Team Ninja, who could believe that is a believable interpretation of the personality of an independent female character.
See, already your pet rock has better character design.

Can't get behind the autism thing, though. She doesn't seem to have trouble grasping social issues, just trouble reading from a script. Not so much interaction difficulty as total system failure.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Wow, truly truly awful cutscenes. Like, 90's fmv games level of bad.

I thought maybe people were exaggerating a little but nope, truly horrendous.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
MatParker116 said:
StriderShinryu said:
MatParker116 said:
Dear Team Ninja

Fuck You very much

Signed

Me
Gameplay sucks as well but I get your point

Dear Nintendo/Team Ninja

Fuck You very much

Signed

Me
Most of the reviews for the game disagree with you, at least as compared to the storyline aspects, and I don't really recall seeing much gameplay in this video which is sort of what's being discussed here.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yes guys, that is the terrible thing about this game. The gameplay is actually pretty good. The only detractor to the gameplay is having to switch to first person to fire missiles which is a ***** to do during boss fights.
Sadly the same can't be said for the story and voice acting. So much of this story made absolutely no sense.