Unskippable: Metroid: Other M Part 2

Techno Destructo

Jul 18, 2010
This was indeed my first glimpse at Other M. . . I can now honestly say that I wish I had some mind soap to wash the horrid memory of this video game away.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
That. That was painful. Thank God for Graham and Paul. They saved it. At least, a little.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Enter the first cut scene bad enough that I paused this and did somethign else to take a break from it. Have not seen anything from this game before now, apparently that was a good idea, way to ruin it for me!

Maybe you should have just muted it and then reenacted it was super emotive sock puppets in front of the tv, correcting certain monotone asylum residents accordingly of course.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I think the entire game is about projection onto Samus, which after reading the script, would cause the voice actress' brain to melt, and turn into terrible voice acting.

Zed_Arthen

Mar 1, 2010
It is a shame that such decent game play had to be ruined by such horrible, agonizing cutscenes. Remove all dialog and story from the game and it would be awesome.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Oh my god! I knew it was bad, but it was even worse than I thought! Shut the fuck up Samus!

She should roll in and outclass all those boring space marines, since she has a bunch of cool weapons and they only have lame space rifles.

Hmmm... Other M is an extended metaphor for Samus' biological clock. Better than being canon.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Adam: What are you doing here?

Samus: (I recounted the details of what brought me to this place, and then
asked what circumstances led the Federation here.)

Adam: That information is not for an outsider.

Appropriate response: And here I thought I was responding to a distress call. I didn't realize that a "baby's cry" literally meant I would be dealing with a petulant child. I'll just be back to my ship, then. Goodbye.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
I can handle bad voice acting. It's even hilarious. Just look at Resident Evil. "Enrico!" "Yeah."

The problem here is that the voice actress sounds completely uninvested in what's going on. I wouldn't be able to handle an entire game of Samus' disinterested, monotone monologues. Plus, it just goes on and on, pointing out things that could just as easily been brought across through dialogue or flashbacks and a character's actions.

Seriously, that part when Samus got depressed about Adam calling her an outsider could have just been him saying so, and Samus looking hurt. The audience isn't made up of abject morons. Entirely, anyway.

And really, a baby's cry distress signal? When people send out distress signals, it's usually because they want to be heard and responded to. Who sends a distress signal when they aren't in distress? It'd be like the boy who cried wolf, except in space.

Virmire

Sep 25, 2011
That may be the most painful thing I have ever watched, in regards to the cutscene, of course.

Jul 9, 2008
Alakaizer said:
I actually rather liked the combat for the most part. Except the boss battles (besides the one in the lava) and the pixel-hunt segments. Seriously, fuck those.
The boss battles (especially the Nightmare, you played Fusion, you should understand why), pissed me off, the pixel-hunts nearly made me snap my Wii-mote, the cut-Samus's-speed-to-a-slow-crawl-and-lock-the-camera-behind-her bits nearly made me spew, and using missiles destroyed the flow for me, everything that was in it was either pointless or had been done before and better in another one. I've played all of them, so I know what of I speak.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Captcha: icyearce craw
That's fair. I forgot about the missile system. I can see what they were trying to do, but christ, that was awful. I give them points for trying that, though.

As for Nightmare, I was excited when I heard it was in the game, even though it didn't make sense. Then I played the actual fights against him *shakes head*
Deminobody said:
Out of all the Unskippables this game is the most excruciating one to watch. Graham and Paul are solid as ever, but the story tries so hard to be serious while failing so incredibly! They are trying to shoehorn a horrible personality onto a Nintendo favorite. It's like watching someone try to paint the Eiffel Tower purple and green.

Edit after seeing:
Swifteye said:
I can do better than that. I'll give you a link! http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-40-heavens-metroid
I can agree with Bob on the points that a lot of pre-Other M Samus was speculation by gamers. I'll still argue that the writing and voice acting, at least, are not done well enough to persuade people that these new characteristics are reasonable. Also, being that I've never played the game and am taking any first hand knowledge from Unskippables, I could easily be wrong.
The worst thing is (and the thing that utterly destroys Bob's Tabula Rasa argument) is that Samus HAD personality in Fusion. She monologued. She engaged in dialogue at one point. And she was so much better written than this.

By the way, you may be interested in this [http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/heavens-to-bob/351975] rebuttal of Bob.
vxicepickxv said:
I think the entire game is about projection onto Samus, which after reading the script, would cause the voice actress' brain to melt, and turn into terrible voice acting.
Nah, projecting onto Samus was what the Prime games were about. This one is shoehorning a horrid personality onto her.
The Random One said:
Oh my god! I knew it was bad, but it was even worse than I thought! Shut the fuck up Samus!

She should roll in and outclass all those boring space marines, since she has a bunch of cool weapons and they only have lame space rifles.

Hmmm... Other M is an extended metaphor for Samus' biological clock. Better than being canon.
Being fair, the marines DO also have ice beams.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
RagnaThePig said:
Obviously, Graham and Paul have never seen Freeman's mind.

My sentiments exactly. Valve really should hire Ross Scott, if they ever feel like giving Gordon Freeman a voice.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Gah! Why are they trying to make a game about blowing people up, so you can get more powers to blow people up, poetic??

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Yeah I gave the voice acting a pass on the first video, but some of the lines here went from monotone to just plain robotic. I wonder how the Japanese version sounds? Might be the best choice if I ever decide to play the game.

Mayu_Zane

Sep 8, 2009
At least you didn't have to play a pregnant Samus.

Not quite sure on that, since I never actually played Other M, but I don't think anybody in Nintendo or the folks who'd develop games for them would be crazy/stupid enough to make a Metroid game with pregnant Samus.

RagnaThePig

Oct 27, 2010
Giest4life said:
My sentiments exactly. Valve really should hire Ross Scott, if they ever feel like giving Gordon Freeman a voice.
Err... No. Don't get me wrong, I like watching Freeman's mind, but playing a character with that voice would be really annoying.