Unskippable: Ryse: Son of Rome - Son of Combat Tutorial

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Ryse: Son of Rome - Son of Combat Tutorial

Further proof that Crytek has something against the letter 'I'.

Watch Video

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The decorations were crafted by Augustus Wayne.

"Daaad, are we going to have to fight to the death again?"

Is that why he was wearing armour at his parents' house?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yes let's go though a combat tutorial after we already fought a whole bunch of guys defending the emperor earlier before getting to the flashback part.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
The game looks very disinteresting.
It might look more interesting if you did indeed play as a male stripper who dressed up in Roman General clothing.
Not sure why combat would be relevant however.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
They seem pretty areligious for a setting where the statues CRY BLOOD !!!

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
scw55 said:
The game looks very disinteresting.
It might look more interesting if you did indeed play as a male stripper who dressed up in Roman General clothing.
Not sure why combat would be relevant however.
Being authentic pays a lot more...

Also, why didn't the Emperor just go into the Panic room right when he needed to? Why did he wait for someone who most likely has a grudge against him over some family issues?

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
BrotherRool said:
I'm guessing Nero gets stabbed by the hero at the end of the game?
Nope. He's bull charged off a ledge and impaled on the sword of his own statue. (The one that cries blood) It's totally awesome.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Zero Serenity said:
BrotherRool said:
I'm guessing Nero gets stabbed by the hero at the end of the game?
Nope. He's bull charged off a ledge and impaled on the sword of his own statue. (The one that cries blood) It's totally awesome.
I was worried it might be a bit anti-climatic to kill some old fat guy as the 'final boss'. It sounds like they found a way to make it cool =D

hermes200 said:
I love how that works in fantasy games. You've got all these people who aren't followers of the Gods, despite the Gods walking around and actively blowing people up/blessing them w/e =D. It takes a dedicated atheist to stay true to his beliefs whilst wandering round the halls of a God :p

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
hermes200 said:
What? Your statues of yourself DON'T cry blood? That is just a standard feature of stone. I know all of mine do it.

Jan 12, 2012
The Gentleman said:
Also, why didn't the Emperor just go into the Panic room right when he needed to? Why did he wait for someone who most likely has a grudge against him over some family issues?
And what, light all those fires by himself? He's the emperor, dammit, he needs some lackeys. After all, where is a guy like him going to find slaves in ancient Rome?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Man, so many inconsistencies in this game. A combat tutorial, AFTER fighting through the first level?! If they're lighting fires in a sealed-off chamber, they'd better have some good ventilation. It seems that Crytek are better on the technical side of game design than, you know, story.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
And Crytek's inability to tell a cohesive and/or interesting story continues!, but oh boy, does it look good... LOOK AT IT!.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
"Gods don't meddle in the affairs of mortals"

Really? Because if there's anything mythology has taught me that is precisely what they do. Like, exclusively.

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
BrotherRool said:
I love how that works in fantasy games. You've got all these people who aren't followers of the Gods, despite the Gods walking around and actively blowing people up/blessing them w/e =D. It takes a dedicated atheist to stay true to his beliefs whilst wandering round the halls of a God :p
* Hits own thumb with hammer* "OW! random-fluctuations-in-the-space-time-continuum damn it!"

Just doesn't have the same ring to it really....

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Forget the torch, why the hell didn't they close that secret passage after themselves to throw off pursuers?

Wait, so you're fated to a particular path but choose your path? Welp, someone on the writing team didn't know what those words mean...

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
leviadragon99 said:
Wait, so you're fated to a particular path but choose your path? Welp, someone on the writing team didn't know what those words mean...
BrotherRool said:
hermes200 said:
I know...
Its almost like the animator thought it was cool to show a miracle happening right on the screen, and the writer thought it was cool to make the protagonist the very first atheist. Some people thought this game was Rome, while others thought it was God of War... But that would imply a pretty poor job from the game director, and that would be crazy

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Emperor Niro? more like Emperor Curly Howard.

Seriously, all I could hear in that first part was Woo-woo-woo-woo-woo-woo! nyuk-nyuk-nyuk!