Unskippable: Saints Row IV

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Saints Row IV

Graham and Paul get inducted into the Saints and bring us along for the ride.

Watch Video

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
So the Saints went from degenerate street gang to pop culture celebrities to counter terrorist unit? That's a really odd progression.

Jan 12, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
So the Saints went from degenerate street gang to pop culture celebrities to counter terrorist unit? That's a really odd progression.
Just wait until they open up their haberdashery.

OT: Why are flying drop kicks so effective? Those guys have guns, and they clearly saw the Saint running at them from at least 15 meters away, but they still all got beaten up in close quarters. Frankly, I don't think the terrorists lost much of value (aside from the pick-ups).

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Wish they'd do sequels to cover the other odd scenes in Saints Row IV. Question is, what would their character look like?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
canadamus_prime said:

OT: Why are flying drop kicks so effective? Those guys have guns, and they clearly saw the Saint running at them from at least 15 meters away, but they still all got beaten up in close quarters. Frankly, I don't think the terrorists lost much of value (aside from the pick-ups).
What's a haberdashery?

Also I was wondering about that. Did those Terrorists suddenly forget that they had guns when the Master Chief wannabe was running up and beating the shit out of them?

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
It makes one wonder what will happen in the next game ... if they make one that is.
But you missed Saints Row 2 where they began a much cleaner gang with more badass ...-ness.

I mean in SR 2 you could pick up a sign and swing it at people ... it pretty much made me confused, was the protagonist a gang leader or the hulk in disguise.

Its like your average action movie, the henchmen always get tossed to the side due to the importance of the protagonist.
We can't exactly show the enemy having too much power ...

But I do have to admit ... those were some good looking pick-up trucks, it would be a shame if someone stole them and pimped them out Saint style.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
"degenerate pop culture icons" is redundant, guys.

StormShaun said:
It makes one wonder what will happen in the next game ... if they make one that is.
Their run with this character is supposedly done. Hopefully they stick with that.

I mean in SR 2 you could pick up a sign and swing it at people ... it pretty much made me confused, was the protagonist a gang leader or the hulk in disguise.
PUNY HUMAN! HULK NO WEAR DISGUISE! HULK JUST LIKE DAPPER HAT!

I still miss being able to El Kabong (or Jeff Jarrett, if you prefer) people with a guitar.

Its like your average action movie, the henchmen always get tossed to the side due to the importance of the protagonist.
We can't exactly show the enemy having too much power ...
Or it's like pro wrestling, where cool looking moves almost always work whether plausible or not.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Yeah, even I have to agree with that.
The Boss was awesome for four games, but he has been through hell and back.
It would be nice if they based the future games in a alternative universe or something like that.

But who could overtake the Boss?
Pierce?
Hahahaha~
Nah we're cool.

I also miss a lot from Saints Row 2, especially the almost infinite customization you could do.
Like layers and such.
Then there was the awesome activities we never got to see again. D:

Also I'm guessing that "The rule of cool" was in effect ... well it has been in effect for the whole series.
Everything looks cool and everything can happen, from katana fights to ninja V pirates.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Aww. You didn't even reach the nuke! D:

I laughed at Graham's singing, I must say. That was golden.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
My first thought was Golden Throne of the Empire of Man, but Zeus works, too, sure.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Thanks for spoiling Saints Row VII. Hope you're happy...

(I'd say "on topic" for this next part, but seeing as the SR games can't even stay on their own topic, it probably wouldn't be in the spirit of the franchise.)

I remember playing the first Saint's Row. You know, when they were just a GTA clone rather than a "fuck, why not?" simulator...

Capcha: The Smart Choice. Oh Capcha, you can dream. You can dream...

EDIT:
canadamus_prime said:
What's a haberdashery?
A hat store.

Mosesj

Sep 19, 2010
But you missed Saints Row 2 where they began a much cleaner gang with more badass ...-ness.

Man, they did some F'd up stuff in saint's row 2. It really made you feel like these gang was an evil bunch who were willing to do anything to get on top, including burying a guy alive for killing a guy's wife and disturbing her funeral.

Made the third game seem really weird to be campy and happy

"captcha" For the birds

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Mosesj said:

Man, they did some F'd up stuff in saint's row 2. It really made you feel like these gang was an evil bunch who were willing to do anything to get on top, including burying a guy alive for killing a guy's wife and disturbing her funeral.

Made the third game seem really weird to be campy and happy

"captcha" For the birds
Did you mess up a quote or something? Anyway, my favourite was locking a woman inside the trunk of her car and park it next to the other cars that were going to be smashed by her boyfriends monster truck. I still cherish that moment.

OT: I love how they managed to make this game so over the top. I didn't like Saints Row The Third because it went over the top and you were unable to take it seriously. This game went so over the top to make it clear that you shouldn't take it seriously.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Wait, wait, wait! Did you all see what they did with the chopper ride? The doors were closed and it didn't crash! What the deuce?
Random Wanderer said:
If you guys thought the intro seemed too serious, you should have just played through the segment with the nuke.
Maybe they'll do that next week. A man can dream.

proghead

Apr 17, 2010
Well, those sure are some very bland, generic graphics i tell ya. They're painful to look at. Embarrassing, really.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

Promise.

Seriously.

See?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mosesj said:
Are you kidding? What about Jessica? Her death, and a lot of the story, was predicated on Mero slighting the then-defunct Saints over a percentage of action. Hell, the first strike in the war (IIRC) was to break into a secure nuclear facility, steal radioactive material (at the cost of many lives), and mix it into tattoo ink to burn Mero.

So yeah, the Boss was a monster, but I think you're actually underselling it.

Then again, I'm not sure anything in SR 3 is any better. The Boss is just played up as a straight up hero this time, instead of acknowledging darker elements. I mean, you rob a bank, killing dozens of guards (bare minimum) and cops for a promotional stunt. And nobody ever seems to bring it up.

Well, except that one time. Which, ironically, was when they bring up Jessica Parish. I thought maybe they would go into some more of the 'you monster' elements. But no, back to cartoony "I'm a hero and a mass murderer LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!"

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I've finished this game twice and It even has the best opening scenes of all time!

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Man, this game looks even stupider than Saints Row 3. I'm going to have to get a copy.