Unskippable: Space Marine

Vesuvius Hetlan

Sep 3, 2010
vxicepickxv said:
Vesuvius Hetlan said:
A few things.

1. 5-37 days. Holy shit. That's waaaay too fast. Are you sure that isn't the time it takes for the Munitorum to acknowledge the need to acknowledge the need to stamp the forms needed to requisition the forces needed to file the call for assistance?

2. Did anyone notice that when Helmetless Marine 1 landed on the Kroozer it started to crash? Looks like someone really let himself go...

3. An Ultramarine taking unauthorized actions. Bull. Shit. Roboute Guilliman wrote the Codex Astartes. The book that contains every single doctrine and tactic of the Ultramarines. Breaking those rules is akin to complete and utter heresy. In the end... these must be the poser marines!
The Ultramarines have been known to throw it out every once in a while before. I think this is the third time in recorded history.

Of course, nobody I know actually likes the Ultramarines.

/Iron Hands FTW
Of course no one likes Matt Ward's excessive fan wank the Ultramarines.

For the glory of the Iron Templar.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Random berk said:
Finally, I don't know who voiced those space marines, but they all make Marcus Fenix sound as if he was voiced by Sir Ian McKellen.
Well, Titus, the one with no helmet or beard, is voiced by Mark Strong [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Strong]. And somehow he still sounds bland as fuck. I think it's the fact that he plays an Ultramarine, and they are required by law to have no character whatsoever.
Endocrom said:
You just know the only soldier with the brains to protect his skull gets killed within the first five minutes.
Actually, I do believe he takes his helmet off just in time and replaces it with plot armor. At least for a while.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Yokai said:
Random berk said:
Finally, I don't know who voiced those space marines, but they all make Marcus Fenix sound as if he was voiced by Sir Ian McKellen.
Well, Titus, the one with no helmet or beard, is voiced by Mark Strong [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Strong]. And somehow he still sounds bland as fuck. I think it's the fact that he plays an Ultramarine, and they are required by law to have no character whatsoever.
I suppose it figures, when they're based on tiny little plastic toys. Though you'd think if they were too lazy to come up with a character for them, they'd just have left them silent. That might actually have been better, if they did it like Dead Space.

rohansoldier

Sep 5, 2011
I would have preferred to see another chapter used instead of the ultras, but I guess THQ needed to appeal to as wide an audience as possible.

I personally have a small space wolf army so would have liked to have seen them, although black templars could have been cool as well. I guess another reason the smurf marines were picked is because their shiny blue armour adds a bit more colour to proceedings.

I do, however, actually quite like this game now I have had a chance to play it (rented). I hope they manage to build on it either with DLC or sequels. I would love a campaign against the tau or eldar that would mix things up as neither race is known for being that numerous, unlike the hordes of orks you see in this game.

Less numerous, more well equipped guys to fight against would be a nice change. Although I guess the chaos marines provide that in the final stages, even though I am not that far yet.

Also, how about some DLC or a sequel that gives us a campaign using the alien races against the imperium? Playing as an eldar would be awesome!!

More races for the multiplayer would be great as well. Eldar, Tyranids and Tau for starters. Plus how come they left out the Orks for multiplayer when they already have single player skins for them??? They would have been easy to implement surely?

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Random berk said:
Yokai said:
Random berk said:
I suppose it figures, when they're based on tiny little plastic toys. Though you'd think if they were too lazy to come up with a character for them, they'd just have left them silent. That might actually have been better, if they did it like Dead Space.
I'm going to go ahead and try to explain this assuming you don't know much about 40k. If you do, feel free to ignore most of the post. :D

See, the problem is not that they're based on toys, because the other "chapters" of Space Marines are full of character. There are the Blood Angels, who have to deal with a mutation that causes them to go berserk, the Space Wolves, who are loud and cheerful and like drinking and partying as much as fighting, the Dark Angels, who are deeply paranoid and secretive as various high-ranking members of their chapter betrayed them in the past, the White Scars, who use Mongol-style raiding as their main method of attack, except on motorcycles with guns instead of horses, etc. etc. the list goes on. There are literally hundreds of chapters to choose from, and most of the backstory has been competently written so that they come across as genuinely interesting.

The Ultramarines, on the other hand, are the basic chapter, the ones without any quirks or personality, and the same Roman theme as the government they serve. Because of this, Games Workshop has them as the poster boys of the 40k universe, and every time they apply the franchise to a new type of media, they want the Ultramarines to star front and center. The first (and only) official 40k movie featured the Ultramarines and basically no one else, and nobody bought it because all the characters suffered from the same lack of personality you see here. Fortunately, Relic did manage to avoid this with Dawn of War, and they actually went in and invented a chapter that was interesting enough, with mysterious origins and the goal of gathering as much information as possible about their past.

But here was the big-budget action game release, so they want to start with the basics before moving into any actual new territory. Which would be fine, except the basics are massively uninteresting and do seem, as Yahtzee put it last week, kind of juvenile. The movie and the game leave out all the good stuff and you're left with the same macho crap you've seen in every other game ever.

Anyway, there's my long and redundant rant on why the Ultramarines give a poor first impression of an otherwise original and wonderfully over-the-top setting.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Yokai said:
Random berk said:
Yokai said:
Random berk said:
I'm going to go ahead and try to explain this assuming you don't know much about 40k. If you do, feel free to ignore most of the post. :D

See, the problem is not that they're based on toys, because the other "chapters" of Space Marines are full of character. There are the Blood Angels, who have to deal with a mutation that causes them to go berserk, the Space Wolves, who are loud and cheerful and like drinking and partying as much as fighting, the Dark Angels, who are deeply paranoid and secretive as various high-ranking members of their chapter betrayed them in the past, the White Scars, who use Mongol-style raiding as their main method of attack, except on motorcycles with guns instead of horses, etc. etc. the list goes on. There are literally hundreds of chapters to choose from, and most of the backstory has been competently written so that they come across as genuinely interesting.

The Ultramarines, on the other hand, are the basic chapter, the ones without any quirks or personality, and the same Roman theme as the government they serve. Because of this, Games Workshop has them as the poster boys of the 40k universe, and every time they apply the franchise to a new type of media, they want the Ultramarines to star front and center. The first (and only) official 40k movie featured the Ultramarines and basically no one else, and nobody bought it because all the characters suffered from the same lack of personality you see here. Fortunately, Relic did manage to avoid this with Dawn of War, and they actually went in and invented a chapter that was interesting enough, with mysterious origins and the goal of gathering as much information as possible about their past.

But here was the big-budget action game release, so they want to start with the basics before moving into any actual new territory. Which would be fine, except the basics are massively uninteresting and do seem, as Yahtzee put it last week, kind of juvenile. The movie and the game leave out all the good stuff and you're left with the same macho crap you've seen in every other game ever.

Anyway, there's my long and redundant rant on why the Ultramarines give a poor first impression of an otherwise original and wonderfully over-the-top setting.
I do know a certain amount about the 40K universe and I posted my earlier comment believing that while the Ultramarines might be deliberately cold, aloof and 1 dimensional, even that could not account for the amazing blandness of the characters in that video. Darth Vader was an awesome enough villain that he could just have been left as a evil bastard, and yet they gave him much more character than "he chokes people". However, while I knew that much, I didn't know anything about the Blood Angels, or Space Wolves, or whoever else, so I can also see where you're coming from about how next to them, the Ultramarines could be made less interesting without it being chalked down to laziness. To be honest, I don't know as much about the Imperium specifically. During my very short and ill-fated experiment with 40K/wargaming in general, I concentrated mainly on the Tyranids, with some attention to the Tau later. I didn't bother with the Space Marines because I found the Tyranids more interesting as a race, and didn't like what little I saw of their background.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
That looks actually pretty awesome. Why do I get the feeling that the old dude either dies or turns evil? Oh, right, he's a mentor character.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Damn. Those guys make other oversize power armor look regular size. Holy shit, how do they even move in those things?
they have it, like, built in, know what I mean?

it's like their second skin

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
So... if they hold their arms straight out to their sides then held them straight up, would their shoulder armor crush their heads?

I don't know much about the 40k universe but the table top game looked really good(I couldn't get into it because video games have a stranglehold over my expendable income... and I suck at painting(those mini micro guys, 1/10 of the size of a regular unit, must only be for fanatics)).

Aesthetically, I liked the side that looked like Protoss space elves(I really don't know much about this series).

SensibleCrout

Feb 23, 2010
Great episode, thanks.
To be totally honest after two less funny episodes (at least for me) I feared you guys may be running out of juice. But this one is back to the high standards I've grown to expect from Unskippable.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
In the grim darkness of the far future, you'll pretty much be fighting things the same way they did in World War I.

Only you'll be wearing a car.

Why did the Orks use a skull? Giving that they're ORRRRCS IN SPAAAACE shouldn't they have a ship that looks of like the Enterprise, but with a saucer section shaped like an Ork's head?

makkebakke

May 6, 2010
i seriously have to watch a BMW ad every video i watch on this site while i'm 15 years old and CAN'T AFFORD A CAR!?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Unskippable has been repeatedly causing me to laugh out loud...excellent job guys! now as long as I stop watching these in crowded public areas...