Unskippable: Spec Ops: The Line

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I wish I had a +2 Minigun of Helicopter Slaying during my run...

Darth_Payn said:
SirPlindington said:
This was a funny episode and all, but I feel like you guys really failed to tap into Spec Ops' inherent comedy potential. Although really, I don't think the game needs anyone's help to be funnier.
A little more elaboration, please?
Well, the twist is mildly ridiculous, the plot revolves around an insane clusterfuck of miscommunications and idiocy (that, hilariously, the game tries to blame you for), and some of the loading screen tips and
hallucinations
make for good riffing.

SirPlindington

Jun 28, 2012
Darth_Payn said:
It was a joke. Spec Ops is a dark dark game. There's not a lot of "inherent comedy value" in it.

EDIT'D:
NeutralDrow said:
Well slap me on a frying pan and call me an omelet, apparently there is laughs a plenty in Spec Ops. Color me corrected.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
SirPlindington said:
EDIT'D:
NeutralDrow said:
Well slap me on a frying pan and call me an omelet, apparently there is laughs a plenty in Spec Ops. Color me corrected.
Well, I guess I have to admit that, at the time, I wasn't really laughing at those things so much as feeling insulted by them. The humor's kind of in hindsight, after I realized I wasn't really the target audience. My riffing was more along the lines of

"Well, since you asked, I'm feeling more of an anti-hero."
"Yes, I can remember what I came here for. Do you, game?"
"To kill for entertainment is harmless, game. Unless you're talking reality, like serial murder or gladiatorial combat or something."
"'If I were a better person, I wouldn-' oh, fuck you, too!"

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
SirPlindington said:
This was a funny episode and all, but I feel like you guys really failed to tap into Spec Ops' inherent comedy potential. Although really, I don't think the game needs anyone's help to be funnier.
I know that humour is down to taste and all, but I don't think I've met anyone who calls this game "funny". Are you sure you're thinking of the right game? This is the one where refugees get massacred with white phosphorous.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Callate said:
"Fucking Hero": a game whose non-existence proves that the Kinect has failed to live up to its potential.
the Achievements would be amazing.

Bro, was she legal?: Fuck a questionably young woman and the google her name because you ar'n't sure of her age.

This game can also be combined with guitar hero for the ultimate groupie experience.

SirPlindington

Jun 28, 2012
NeutralDrow said:
SirPlindington said:
EDIT'D:
NeutralDrow said:
Well, I guess I have to admit that, at the time, I wasn't really laughing at those things so much as feeling insulted by them. The humor's kind of in hindsight, after I realized I wasn't really the target audience. My riffing was more along the lines of

"Well, since you asked, I'm feeling more of an anti-hero."
"Yes, I can remember what I came here for. Do you, game?"
"To kill for entertainment is harmless, game. Unless you're talking reality, like serial murder or gladiatorial combat or something."
"'If I were a better person, I wouldn-' oh, fuck you, too!"
Fair enough. In that case, I guess there is sort of comedy in Spec Ops, if only in making fun of the melodrama. That'd come a bit late for Unskippable though.

Farther than stars said:
See previous comments RE: Le joke. Also maybe look up Poe's Law.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Johnny Novgorod said:
Am I the only one who thinks of Tommy whenever I hear the words "Captain Walker"?
It's unfortunate that Captain Walker never came home. His unborn child will never known him.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Unskippable or LRR needs to do a Crocodile Hunter-themed series about the hierarchy in gaming. They can start with the minigun, the chopper's natural enemy and work up to its natural predators.

"I'm pretty sure the last two weren't even attack helicopters."

The minigun is an insatiable beast that cannot end its rage voluntarily.

"The man's a fucking hero."

I just wish he'd stop sending me the videos.

How do I get diplomatic immunity for my butt? Do I need to join the nation of LRR Moonbasikstan?

Johnny Novgorod said:
Am I the only one who thinks of Tommy whenever I hear the words "Captain Walker"?
I pretty much can't hear the words without thinking of Tommy.

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
Callate said:
"Fucking Hero": a game whose non-existence proves that the Kinect has failed to live up to its potential.
Here's to the "always on" Xbox One.
I do my gaming in the bedroom, if ya know what I mean.

I am a firm believer that if achievements and global rankings were suddenly integrated into the carnal arts only good things could happen.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
There ain't no moonbase like a LRR moonbase, because the LRR moonbase goes off!

Jan 12, 2012
Graham_LRR said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
*Starts video*
What is this nonsense? Why are you showing me gameplay instead of cutscenes? Have I stumbled into a Let's Play?
*Watches a bit*
Ah. They needed that gameplay to establish context for a throwaway CoD joke.
We've used scripted gameplay sequences a bajillion times before, it wasn't just for the joke... that's how the game starts, that's how we show it.
It just seems like you skip most of the scenes where you actually are involved in the game and can die, as oppsoed to scenes where you walk around for a bit (see: the last Resident Evil). It was just unusual to see you fighting.

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Thunderous Cacophony said:
It just seems like you skip most of the scenes where you actually are involved in the game and can die, as oppsoed to scenes where you walk around for a bit (see: the last Resident Evil). It was just unusual to see you fighting.
Fair enough. It was a heavily scripted sequence, so we figured we'd leave it in.

Number-14

Dec 13, 2010
"oh we didn't need that skyscraper, we have more"

Oh that hit me so hard XD !!

I still don't get it, finally a game set in Dubai and it's banned here in the UAE. New York is the hot spot for alien invasion, natural disaster and end of the world destination you don't see them banning movies, games and other stuff.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Wait, who dropped the new LRR moonbase on FUBAR'd Dubai?

Also, I'm waiting on the 12 time anyone died now.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Number-14 said:
"oh we didn't need that skyscraper, we have more"

Oh that hit me so hard XD !!

I still don't get it, finally a game set in Dubai and it's banned here in the UAE. New York is the hot spot for alien invasion, natural disaster and end of the world destination you don't see them banning movies, games and other stuff.
It might be because of the fairly dark turn this game takes from the mid-point on.
OT: Probably one of the least expected Unskippable I ever saw, and yet I still laughed.