Unskippable: The Evil Within - Subtle Psychological Horror? - Part 2

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
The Evil Within - Subtle Psychological Horror? - Part 2

This is supposed to be subtle psychological horror, right?

Watch Video

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
If the raptured happened and none of their clothes were left behind then what happened to their clothes?

Secondly how would you know its the rapture & not Cell from DBZ before he absorbed the androids?

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
There are half a dozen perfectly good cop cars there. Why would you choose an ambulance?

The female detective really does seem to have been added last-minute. Either that or they forgot to animate her face at all.

"Who's that guy on the left? He's not dressed as a doctor or a nurse." How can you tell? The lighting's so horrible that you can barely tell they're people.

Did the guy at the end have his brain spilling out, a large tumour or just a really ugly hat?

Jan 12, 2012
RatGouf said:
If the raptured happened and none of their clothes were left behind then what happened to their clothes?
No shirt, no shoes, no salvation.

OT: This game is a master class in how not to do "skewed reality" horror. If nothing makes sense, things happened for no reason other than someone writing thought it would be neat (see: plague driver) and all your scenes could be changed with each other without affecting the flow of the story at all, people aren't going to care about what's going on, and they're not going to be scared because literally anything could cause or resolve problems at any time.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
RatGouf said:

Secondly how would you know its the rapture & not Cell from DBZ before he absorbed the androids?
1. They could have all gotten naked first and put their clothes away before being Raptured.

2. If it was Cell you would see the puncture holes in the clothes where he stabbed them with his tail.

:D

OT: From what I heard of the game, most of it is pretty much a dream.....kind of.....I think............I don't care. ;p

JennAnge

May 15, 2012
So far the most interesting part of the game I'd maybe want to play is to be the driver of the getaway ambulance (not two words I thought I'd use together). He seemed to be the one doing the most emoting and acting, at any rate. Right up until the moment he got the lurgie.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ha I so agreed that the game is so misleading (I thought it will be like Resi 1 not Resi 5!). Man I need to read up the game story or watched some let's play just to get what the hell is happening (I assuming it's a psychological or it's that guy mind powers that cause all the WTF).

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I'm still laughing at that "ballast" line, and Paul having a bone to pick with the lighting guy.
Thunderous Cacophony said:
RatGouf said:
No shirt, no shoes, no salvation.

OT: This game is a master class in how not to do "skewed reality" horror. If nothing makes sense, things happened for no reason other than someone writing thought it would be neat (see: plague driver) and all your scenes could be changed with each other without affecting the flow of the story at all, people aren't going to care about what's going on, and they're not going to be scared because literally anything could cause or resolve problems at any time.
I agree; even a jumbled, non-linear, Tarantino-esque story needs continuity.
Also, what was with the stone-faced chick? In my mind, I hear Dr. Zoidberg's uncle Harold yelling "No! You've got to emote, dammit!"

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
kailus13 said:
Did the guy at the end have his brain spilling out, a large tumour or just a really ugly hat?
From what I thought I saw I'd say it was two persons, half merged together?
So, more of a "two-three-quarters-of-heads-that-where-spliced-with-a-big-tumor-in-the-middle-just-for-fun creature"?

Either way; here's what we learned for sure!:
Good horror tip: Make the threat mostly unseen.
Game's interpretation; make it crawl on top of you very clearly in plain view, except give the player a headache by flashing a shitty red filter over the entire scene, with most of it black, then make it all go away instantly; WHAAAAHHH! SO SCARY!!!

Seriously, a Doge Meme Generator would have written a much more subtle AND coherent script... :O
So, that's at least SOME kind of amazing achievement right there!

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
Scarim Coral said:
Ha I so agreed that the game is so misleading (I thought it will be like Resi 1 not Resi 5!). Man I need to read up the game story or watched some let's play just to get what the hell is happening (I assuming it's a psychological or it's that guy mind powers that cause all the WTF).
There really isn't much in the way of story. You bumble around for the majority of the game with zero context, and then suddenly some plot happens at the end. It's like Inception crossed with Silent Hill, kind of, where everything is, in fact, being controlled by that evil dude in the hood.

kailus13 said:
The female detective really does seem to have been added last-minute. Either that or they forgot to animate her face at all.
She really does, especially towards the end of the story where they try to use her to thicken the plot. Unfortunately, there wasn't really much plot to begin with, so she just ends up throwing thickener everywhere. She's supposed to be the protagonist of some future DLC, but I doubt that's going to fix much.

Methodia Chicken

Sep 9, 2014
Ghadente said:
well at least its not Deadly Premonition
I dunno... I remember playing deadly premonition and it really seemed like it wanted to make sense.
like the person trying to achieve that sense was the split personality of cookie monster's tapeworm, but dammit they were trying!

This just seems like someone handed in a box labeled "cool stuff" filled with VHS taped scenes of horror movies selected by a random number generator and told someone "make this a game! in order of coolness!"

but with the rapture and Alex Mercer and ballast explanations I can see it almost coming together

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
RatGouf said:

Nah, Cell would've left their cloths behind. Presumably with a puncture mark in them.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Awesome "Everything is Everything" reference. I say that mainly because when I first saw this intro I also thought of Mrs. Hill's tune. (The intro also reminded me of the 2012 film in parts)