Unskippable: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Proverbial Jon said:
Andy Shandy said:
Also, isn't that the voice of the Agency from Crackdown, instead of Campbell from MGS?
Yeah, I didn't think it sounded like Campbell. Even when Paul Eiding tries to disguise his voice I can still pick him out and that wasn't Paul Eiding.
Yeah I was gonna say I'm reasonably certain that's not the Colonel, but I can never tell when the guys are just being ironic.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
Andy Shandy said:
Also, isn't that the voice of the Agency from Crackdown, instead of Campbell from MGS?
Yeah, I didn't think it sounded like Campbell. Even when Paul Eiding tries to disguise his voice I can still pick him out and that wasn't Paul Eiding.
Wiseblood said:
Featuring Steve Blum as the world's biggest Steve Blum fanboy.
Glad I'm not the only guy to catch that. i love those "Hey, it's that voice!" (must...not...link to... TVTropes page...with...that name!) moments in media. I heard The Colonel's voice in Season 2, Episode 3 of Avatar: The Last Airbender as the governor of Fire Nation-occupied Omashu and Mae's dad. In Blum's case, it's not much of a challenge if he's in almost everything.
tehweave said:
You guys still have EB games? Aww... Ours was bought out by GameStop...
"EB Games? Now that's a name I haven't heard in along time..." paraphrasing Obi-Wan Kenobi
All we have where I live are GameStops now. Where are Paul and Graham that still have EB?

Yabba

Aug 19, 2012
Oh my God, I loved this game and series so much until Ubisoft ruined it with GR: FS

Keith Fraser

Mar 12, 2012
Cyrus Hanley said:
Contrary to popular belief, he didn't write the stories or have much involvement in the development of games (except for the earliest Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games when they were being developed by his own company). But now that Ubisoft own his name they can put it on whatever they want, like H.A.W.X [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_H.A.W.X] and shit.

Also his newest books are "co-authored" (read: ghostwritten).
So if one of the newer books contradicted something in one of the earlier books he wrote himself, then it'd be a...

...ghost retcon?

http://youtu.be/6YMPAH67f4o

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Cyrus Hanley said:
I did have some awareness of what had happened since he sold out Red Storm Entertainment to Ubisoft. It just feels weird to see an author's name reduced to little more than a brand, especially in service of the kind of writing that screams, "Thanks for the sum-up, Naked Exposition Man!" I may not have thought he was a particularly great author, but he was better than that.

Thanks for the detailed summary, though; it's true I wasn't aware of all of that.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Interesting tidbit about a large number of US Army bases. They're named after individuals instead of ideas. Fort Bliss is named after General Bliss. Fort Bragg is named after General Bragg.

Navy bases are named after the city/town they're in, and cross reference to the type of base they are. Naval Station 32nd Street San Diego is named the way it is because there's several Naval Stations in the area. Naval Air Station Jacksonville is named as an Air Station in Jacksonville. Naval Weapons Stations have weapons. It's a lot easier to figure out that the whole where's stuff in the Army thing. It's even more fun at places like Fort Campbell, which is a base that spans parts of two states. Get the PO Box in Tennessee because insurance is cheaper.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
Yeah, I could've sworn I was hearing Commander "Lightspeed" Kenny from Star Ocean 4....

So, what have we learned today, kids?

That's right. Never go to EB.

Go to Gamestop, or download from XBLA/PSN/Steam or whatever, but never go to EB.

cyber95

Feb 28, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
tehweave said:
"EB Games? Now that's a name I haven't heard in along time..." paraphrasing Obi-Wan Kenobi
All we have where I live are GameStops now. Where are Paul and Graham that still have EB?
Canada! Not sure if it's a Canada thing or just a BC thing or what, but we've got a coupla EB Games here in Kelowna, too. The terrible EB Games where you can't trade in games, because of a city bylaw meant to protect pawn shop owners or something, I don't know, but if I wanted to trade stuff in, I'd have to go out of town.

Advertising for local EB locations still mention trade ins. Hooray.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
tehweave said:
We used to have EB Games in the UK too, until they were merged/bought out by GAME... who have recently bought out/merged with Gamestation. Honestly I can't keep up any more!

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Has anyone actually played this game? I do not get what the story is supposed to be about? Rebels (isnt' that generic term just getting silly at this point?) popping up all over Mexico and Central America...why? to oppose that vague North American United front that seems...iffy. Anyway, the fanboy gushing made me laugh because a) Chapultepec Castle is now a museum and concert hall atop the hill in what's effectively Mexico City's Central Park. Yeah....I don't know why rebels with even entrench themselves there. b) Zocalo plaza is like the worst place to mount resistence to firepower. It's a huge flat, empty square surrounded by buildings crying to be sniper hideouts. With such stupid strategic resistance I can't understand how that rebel force hasn't been wiped out yet.

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
Callate said:
Cyrus Hanley said:
I did have some awareness of what had happened since he sold out Red Storm Entertainment to Ubisoft. It just feels weird to see an author's name reduced to little more than a brand, especially in service of the kind of writing that screams, "Thanks for the sum-up, Naked Exposition Man!" I may not have thought he was a particularly great author, but he was better than that.

Thanks for the detailed summary, though; it's true I wasn't aware of all of that.
Yeah his name pretty much is just a brand now (reinforced by the CEO of Ubisoft referring to it as such).

And the decision was purely business. By doing it he pretty much ceded whatever creative control he had left of the franchises he was attached to for a very large sum of money.

Keith Fraser said:
Cyrus Hanley said:
Contrary to popular belief, he didn't write the stories or have much involvement in the development of games (except for the earliest Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games when they were being developed by his own company). But now that Ubisoft own his name they can put it on whatever they want, like H.A.W.X [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_H.A.W.X] and shit.

Also his newest books are "co-authored" (read: ghostwritten).
So if one of the newer books contradicted something in one of the earlier books he wrote himself, then it'd be a...

...ghost retcon?

http://youtu.be/6YMPAH67f4o
Haha, nice one!

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
haha, you know the shooter segment is getting stale when a games shop cant tell the difference between them anymore
nice ep.

therealjeffa

Nov 15, 2010
Wiseblood said:
Featuring Steve Blum as the world's biggest Steve Blum fanboy.
The same actor voices the driver, the main character, AND the news anchorman in that scene. I know Blum is everywhere, but that's high even for him.