Unskippable: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Odoylerules360

We're all just folk now...
Aug 29, 2008
When you try to make fun of something as good as X-COM, unless you really know what you're talking about, you just make it obvious how much better the makers of X-COM are at what they do than you are at what you do.

Of course, if Graham & Paul did like it, they could mention that. They don't have to be all snark & nitpicks all the time.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
The Gentleman said:
Is anyone else wondering why the deployment craft stays on the ground while the soldiers are clearing the area? It strikes me as a tactical flaw...
If you've played XCOM, you know the pilot is just being very considerate for the squad on the ground, you never know when they want to scarper.

which, in XCOM, is a likelyhood.

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
Odoylerules360 said:
When you try to make fun of something as good as X-COM, unless you really know what you're talking about, you just make it obvious how much better the makers of X-COM are at what they do than you are at what you do.

Of course, if Graham & Paul did like it, they could mention that. They don't have to be all snark & nitpicks all the time.
Really? COnsidering that everyone I've talked to amongst my friends that got the game it was:
Day One: "Oh it's so awesome! It's great!"
Day Two: "Okay, this is good."
Day Five: "Wha? Xcom, oh, got tired of it."

Btw, cut the pretentious fanboyism, this isn't a masterpiece we're talking about here. It's a game.

Aankhen

Mar 30, 2012
Yeah, she?s jammin?!
Argh. Now I can?t unsee it!
Odoylerules360 said:
I liked XCOM too, but this post is just childish.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Combustion Kevin said:
The Gentleman said:
Is anyone else wondering why the deployment craft stays on the ground while the soldiers are clearing the area? It strikes me as a tactical flaw...
If you've played XCOM, you know the pilot is just being very considerate for the squad on the ground, you never know when they want to scarper.

which, in XCOM, is a likelyhood.
*Pfft* When I send my soldiers to an area, either the aliens all die, or they do. We don't do half measures under my command.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Odoylerules360 said:

I don't know why people watch Unskippable or similar shows and seem to expect the folks who make the shows to inform them that their shit don't stink.

While I suppose a show about riffing on cutscenes could stop riffing on cutscenes and praise a game simply because you're a fan, it seems to defeat the purpose.

canadamus_prime said:
You've got to respect a military organization that get's it's mission briefings from Optimus Prime.
Turns out, Voltron was needed once more.

Or, I could go more obscure and run with this one, instead:

Odoylerules360

We're all just folk now...
Aug 29, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Odoylerules360 said:

I don't know why people watch Unskippable or similar shows and seem to expect the folks who make the shows to inform them that their shit don't stink.

While I suppose a show about riffing on cutscenes could stop riffing on cutscenes and praise a game simply because you're a fan, it seems to defeat the purpose.
Exactly the question I was hoping someone would pose! Kind of.

As for why this episode bugs me:
I don't know if you've heard the sayings "90% of everything is crap", and "90% of the time cynicism and experience are the same thing", but they mean that someone can be all snark, and be right 90% of the time. During this part, I'm thinking "hey, I like these guys, they know a thing or two about stuff". But when they get to something actually good (in my opinion) and treat it exactly the same, I'm forced to recognize that they're just snarky about everything; they don't necessarily know a thing about stuff; they're just saying "everything sucks", and my previous opinion was foolish. My own fault, I know.

The last time this happened to me was with The Editing Room [http://www.the-editing-room.com/].

The other purpose of the comment was for Graham & Paul. I wanted to tell them what keeps me from watching their show, and what would make me watch it more often. I tried to structure it in a way I know I would respond to: a barb at the front that gets my attention and makes me care, and a softer bit at the end that makes me think about it instead of just being angry. Much like the part of your comment I quoted.

As for the stop-and-praise:
It'd be nice if, when Graham & Paul found something they liked, they did something to point out that "This bit here was good, more people should do things like this." Besides, liking the same things as someone else is usually more meaningful than disliking the same things.

For me being a fan:
I haven't played any other games in the series, and calling XCOM 'good' is way too vague, sorry about that. Why I praise it, is because part way through, it made me sympathize with Dick Cheney.

A game that does that, does something amazing.

Also, whatever anyone says, my shit smells terrible.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Odoylerules360 said:
I don't know if you've heard the sayings "90% of everything is crap", and "90% of the time cynicism and experience are the same thing", but they mean that someone can be all snark, and be right 90% of the time.
Actually, they can snark 100% of the time and be right (not saying they are, merely that they can be), because snark is not reserved for simply "crap."

Even good games can have bad cinematics and complete logic fails and "I like it" (which, let's face it, is what you mean by "good") does not serve to change the fact that there was plenty to snark in this cutscene. There really is no reason for them to not treat it the same.

This is the whole "Zero Punctuation" thing all over again. People love that Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw "tells it like it is" until he does so about a game they like, then he's a monster, a bully, and "TEH BIAS TEH BIAS TEH BIAS!"

Further, if you intended your complaints to be constructive, you failed. Implying they're not good at what they do when you seem to not grasp what they actually do comes off as a petulant, childish attack because they happened to pick something you like.

Perhaps you could have tried being more constructive yourself. Wouldn't it be nice if you could at least live up to the standards that you want Unskippable to attain?

rofl jet

Aug 23, 2009
Whenever I look at those pod things the aliens drop down I just see an adorable smiley face, seriously look at it!

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I really couldn't stop seeing that female soldier as "jamming" on her iPod loll