Unusual references in unusual places!

Segadroid

Apparently a Premium Member now
Mar 20, 2009
So I just discovered something pointless, but interesting; If anyone knows the webcomic Freefall, there's one point where a secretary robot commands a display to 'Enhance 57 to 19. Track 45 left' and to 'Enhance 15 to 23' (Doggy!).

Now I regulary watch Discovery Science, and one of their recent commercials for Man Made Marvels actually contains a reference to this! It's not spot on, but it's ridiculously similiar to just be coincidence.

"Enhance 54 17. Track 45 left. Enhance 15 23."

This little unearthing leaves me wondering if other people noticed this and/or found other obscure references/in-jokes in forms of media; from commercials, to games, or your local newspaper. Do you know of any? Share it here!

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
That's actually a direct quote from Blade Runner, which probably explains why it would show up more than once. Something's changed with YouTube tags so you'll have to jump to 2:00 to hear the line.
"Enhance 57 to 19..."

*EDIT* That was very observant of you by the way. Nice job! If you haven't seen Blade Runner, you should check out one of the non-cinematic cuts.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Oh right, for my own reference that would be one of the episodes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

It's the one where the gang gets taken hostage in the bar. At one point near the end, someone yells, "Yippie ki yay, Mister Falcon!" which is a very specific reference, not just to the movie Die Hard, but the 'edited for television' version of Die Hard 2. Since they couldn't have Bruce Willis screaming out, "Yippie ki yay, ************!" someone changed it to 'Mister Falcon' [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMU-tCiWncw].

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a hilarious show, and that moment really stood out because it's usually pretty heavy with swearing (they get to use the word 'fuck' once a year, which they saved for their Christmas episode).

AustinN

Dec 31, 2013
There was a Family Circus strip where one of the kids dressed as a character from Dawn of War II. I'd like to see any of you find a more bizarre reference.

Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated had an episode that looked like it was heavily based on the Clock Tower video games. I was quite surprised, since Clock Tower is mostly only known among horror video game enthusiasts.

Wunderhund

Jan 16, 2013
Archer's direct reference to Melville's Bartleby, the Scrivener in the Skorpio episode of season 1. Pam also referenced the Dog in a Manger painting at one point.

I'm pretty sure I remember the "this is KDK-1 calling KDK-12" line from The Shining being used on a radio in one of those strange early Donald Duck episodes (not 100% on that though)

AustinN

Dec 31, 2013
Wunderhund said:
Archer's direct reference to Melville's Bartleby, the Scrivener in the Skorpio episode of season 1. Pam also referenced the Dog in a Manger painting at one point.

I'm pretty sure I remember the "this is KDK-1 calling KDK-12" line from The Shining being used on a radio in one of those strange early Donald Duck episodes (not 100% on that though)
Really? Archer tends to have references to craploads of different things, well known and obscure.