Upcoming Pokemon GO Patch Will Add "Buddy Pokemon"

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Upcoming Pokemon GO Patch Will Add "Buddy Pokemon"

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1347/1347242.png
Buddy Pokemon will appear alongside your Trainer avatar on your profile screen, and you'll earn candy for them just by walking around.

Since official website [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/pokemon%20go?os=pokemon+go] that an upcoming patch will add a "Buddy Pokemon" system to the game.

"You will be able to pick your favorite Pokemon to become your buddy," wrote Niantic. "Having a Buddy Pokemon opens up unique in-game rewards and experiences." Your Buddy Pokemon will appear alongside your Trainer avatar on your profile screen, and you will be able to earn that specific Pokemon's candy simply by walking. It's a great way to get candy for those hard-to-find Pokemon, or simply a Pokemon that you really want to evolve.

You're not locked into a Buddy Pokemon in any sort of way - you can switch out your buddy at any time you want.

Niantic didn't offer any kind of release window for this update, but told us that it has a lot more "in the works" for Fall, and to stay tuned.

Source: Niantic [http://pokemongolive.com/en/post/buddy/]

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
Now I regret grinding my starter into candy.
This will make it so much easier to evolve the pokemon ive only ever gotten from eggs.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Great. All we need now is for the app to track steps when the screen is off and I might actually play this again.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Great. All we need now is for the app to track steps when the screen is off and I might actually play this again.
THIS.

Also a working tracking system would be nice... (Priorities people!)

On the plus side, I can get my Arcanine sooner than later :)

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
They need to give some control over the moves the pokemon get when they evolve. Or at least an understanding of what they'll get before they evolve.

There is nothing in this game as frustrating as spending weeks grinding candy for a rare 3 level pokemon only to have it get completely shitty moves on its final evolution.

Fuck you Bullet Punch/Stone Edge Machamp. And fuck you Wing Attack/Dragon Claw Charizard... TWICE!

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
This game is already bad enough in consuming data for people with limited data plans.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Scytail said:
Cowabungaa said:
This game is already bad enough in consuming data for people with limited data plans.
That's one's own responsibility, if you ask me. The thing is that right now you have to constantly keep your phone open if you want to hatch any eggs. And for a 10 km hike that's ridiculous. The stupidest thing is that the game does track the timers on lucky eggs and incense when it's closed.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
Scytail said:
Cowabungaa said:
That's one's own responsibility, if you ask me. The thing is that right now you have to constantly keep your phone open if you want to hatch any eggs. And for a 10 km hike that's ridiculous. The stupidest thing is that the game does track the timers on lucky eggs and incense when it's closed.
I program mobile games for a living; the reason it does this is likely not that it's actively tracking the lucky egg, but the egg just stores a serverside timestamp on the real world time it expires. When you load the game it just re-calcs the current time to the end timestamp.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Fix tracking and I'll start playing again. Anything other than that is just fluff. Nice fluff mind you, but the core game mechanic is broken

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Why wasn't this a thing at launch? It seems like something they should have had for people at the beginning. To allow you to keep your starter relevant. As it stands, your starter is pretty worthless in the long run.

Also, as others have said, being able to hatch eggs without having to have the app open would be nice.

RaikuFA said:
Isn't it just great to use the buddy system?

Damn it. Now I wanna watch Freakazoid all of a sudden.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Anyone know what the distance to candy ratio is? That'd be nice to know.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Dr. Crawver said:
Anyone know what the distance to candy ratio is? That'd be nice to know.
I'd put money on it being 1 candy per Kilometer. It's got to be some where within the range of 0.5 to 2 k, and 1 seems like the most balanced.