Upcoming Web Series Might Revive Hollywood's Halo Movie

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Upcoming Web Series Might Revive Hollywood's Halo Movie

Master Chief will arrive online and in person before Halo 4 hits this November.

Microsoft has announced a new web series that will premiere prior to the release of Halo 4, representing "the largest investment" the company has ever made in live-action production. But instead of simply adding to what will surely be a gigantic marketing push for the hotly anticipated game, Microsoft hopes to use the series as tool to introduce the Halo universe to newcomers and, maybe, just maybe, pave a way toward the theatrical movie for which fans have been clamoring since Universal pulled the plug on Neil Blomkamp's adaptation back in 2005.

"Every time we do a live-action commercial the audience says, 'We want to see more so that we can explore the Halo universe a little bit more," said Frank O'Connor, franchise development director at 343 Industries. "Demand grew more and more out of the two little vignettes we'd previously produced."

The new series is called Forward Until Dawn, and will follow a UNSC cadet's rise through the ranks as inspired by Master Chief's well-known, super awesome space greatness. While the majority of the story will be new, episodes will still make time to cover old ground for the noobies, showing or alluding to events like the humans' initial clash with those pesky Covenant during the first trilogy.

Over the course of five weeks this autumn, franchise fans will be treated to five, free, fifteen-minute segments that can be seen either via Machinima or the game's online community, Halo Waypoint. Watch them all back-to-back, and some easy math puts the full experience at an hour and fifteen minutes, just short the average length of a feature film. And though five, quarter-hour episodes do not a movie make, Microsoft considers the production its "next step" in recreating Halo into an entertainment franchise capable of supporting a theatrical feature.

"I don't think anybody needs any reminding of [the potential of a Halo film]," said Matt McCloskey, director of franchise business management at 343. "Everyone keeps reminding us of that."

Still, with the core franchise currently sitting on a five-year hiatus, and a new development team at the helm for the fourth installment, its perhaps easy to understand why Halo needs a fresh assessment in a new market before anyone is willing to commit millions of dollars into a film. Remember, gamers that were fifteen when the original Halo came out are now twenty-six, and much has changed for both the game and film industry since that initial fan-base blossomed back in 2001.

Source: Variety [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118053273]

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
Actually, five 15 minute episodes clocks in at 75 minutes. Short of the length of a feature film.

Edit:
Article was updated with the correct total length. Originally it said 90 minutes.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Who needs a proper Halo movie or webseries when you've got Red Vs Blue? Especially with them pulling in some high profile cast (Ed Robertson of The Barenaked Ladies a few years back, Elijah Wood in season 10, among others).

P.S. Thanks

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
rhizhim said:
it will never beat bollywood halo
It's... Beutiful!

OT: I thi- No I don't think I could take a halo movie that isn't bollywood, darn you rhizhim!

Apr 28, 2008
I just hope they can keep up the quality of the live-action Halo shorts. They probably worked so well because they were short.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
If it keeps up the quality the other short live-action commericals have. I am all for this.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
The Live-Action commercials are likable because they're just eye candy.

Having a series or movie would just flop over Halo's spartan story (see what I did there?).

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Covarr said:
Who needs a proper Halo movie or webseries when you've got Red Vs Blue? Especially with them pulling in some high profile cast (Ed Robertson of The Barenaked Ladies a few years back, Elijah Wood in season 10, among others).

P.S. Thanks
I'm counting down to Memorial Day. Must... contain... excitement...

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Covarr said:

P.S. Thanks
Because RvB is not part of the Halo established Canon while this is.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
hawk533 said:
Actually, five 15 minute episodes clocks in at 75 minutes. Short of the length of a feature film.
...Which equals 1 hour 15 minutes. One hour is 60 minutes, 75 - 60 = 15 minutes left.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
rhizhim said:
it will never beat bollywood halo
Oh god. Hip thrusting Master Chief. I will never get over that. Thank you for this wonderful gift.

OT: I'm not a 360/Halo fan myself but hey, if they can make a decent movie out of a videogame franchise, be my guest. I'd watch that.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Hey you changed the picture!
Yup, this new picture is the super fancy official image of the upcoming web series. Commence both oohing and ahhing as required.

Gordon Freemonty

Aug 25, 2010
I NEED A VEPUN

Classic. Always enjoyed IGNs April Fools shorts, even though I don't particularly care for the rest of its content.

Darkness665

Dec 21, 2010
Not bloody likely. MS wanted way too much the first time they floated this. Without them giving points and releasing control it won't happen. Of course, if they REALLY want it to fly they could just fund it. Just add it the loss column on the XBox and see if it pencils out.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I kind of like how they're not actually making a Hollywood movie. It keeps things close to the canon and doesn't have to add in things to make it seem more hip and cool with the young kids. If it stays will small projects like this and stays with the quality of the live-action shorts, I will be a happy fan.