Update: Chick's Dark Dungeons Film Seeks Kickstarter Cash

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
I am the president of a cult film club at my school (read: hilariously crappy movies). The only reason I don't want to play this if it ever comes out is because I don't want to give Jack Chick traffic.

jrralls

Apr 23, 2013
Thunderous Cacophony said:
FYI, Chick is getting any money from this (it's under the FAQ on the Kickstarter page).
Typo. Chick is NOT getting any money from this project.

jrralls

Apr 23, 2013
renegade7 said:
I am the president of a cult film club at my school (read: hilariously crappy movies). The only reason I don't want to play this if it ever comes out is because I don't want to give Jack Chick traffic.
There is no reason why buying a DVD or digital download of this project would result in that happening.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
Guys, I beg you here, please don't support this. Even ironically, even if you want to just throw rotten fruit at it, please don't give it cash. This moron doesn't deserve the money, the rep, or the ego boost.
FYI, Chick is getting any money from this (it's under the FAQ on the Kickstarter page).
So, the guy was content to sign away the film rights for zilch? Ha, he really is as dumb as he looks!

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
jrralls said:
Oh, if Adam is reading this thread please let him know that if he'd like an interview I am totally up for it.

Also, does anyone know how to contact Movie Bob? I'd love to try and get him in a cameo if I could.

Thanks!
Best emailing him through his own blogs, I guess. He has a blog for both moviebob [http://moviebob.blogspot.co.uk/] and the game overthinker. [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.co.uk/]

Also, I'm glad to here your going to be sincere in your interpretation of the comic. It is the best possible way to capture the magnificence and pure entertainment value of Chick's magnum opus.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Okay, so most of us are going to be savvy enough not to take this at face value - but I'm a little worried there might be an outside risk of some numbskull taking the finished product and showing it to their kids in as serious a way as possible.

What I'm saying is, well, that being careful with the "Aha, SATIRE!" button is very important. Not everyone's Stephen Colbert. Being serious for the sake of being serious is one thing, being serious for the sake of satire requires masterful timing and set-up.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
Oh. Wow.

I've read Chick tracts before, and they were pretty funny, but this dark dungeon issue...it's like reverse propaganda, full stop. Are we sure this isn't a subset of Landover Baptist church?

I totally see why they want to film this. It's going to be amazing. I wonder if there will be a scene where the dungeon master is leading everyone in prayer and reading passages from the monster manual.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
It would be neat if it was made to look like an 80's film. It would give the sort of cheap propaganda film feel. like mazes and monsters did

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
jrralls said:
Uratoh said:
I'm unsure if I want this film to not take itself very seriously, or take itself very seriously...
VERY very very seriously.
You're doin God's work, sir.

(people need to read all of the text)

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Kalezian said:
but if it is a major flop, at least it will take it's rightful place beside Mazes & Monsters.
Hey man, Mazes & Monsters is a far-out game.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Ahhh Dark Dungeons, I remember my mothers concern caused by this based on hearsay. Once she actually read the thing she went out.and bought me the Oriental Adventures Source Book.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
I used to pick up those little comics at rest stops. The scariest part of them was that I imagined people taking them seriously.

Wasn't there already a movie made like that... with Tom Hanks... yea
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084314/
I have a pretty good feeling that this thing will be funded by D&D fans/fans of bad movies for exactly the same reason Mazes and Monsters is a cult classic, especially since Jack Chick himself is apparently not getting a dime of the money. Heck, /I'm/ tempted to chip in the $20 to get a DVD, and I've never kickstarted anything before. I'd probably do it if I weren't flat broke.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
I just read the strip linked to the article. i love how they obviously have walked in just as Marcie stepped off the chair to hang her self and no one tries to help her. they just write her off as already dead.

I've never heard of this particular thing though i am aware of the anti D&D propaganda of the 80's.

It reminds me of the comic strips the Religious nut bags would hand out for halloween instead of candy when i was a kid. same kind of heavy handed "If its not jesus your going to hell" narrative.

I really don't know how to feel about this being made into a movie. I mean yeah it would be stupidly funny but it would also be creppy to know that its meant to be taken seriously

jrralls

Apr 23, 2013
maninahat said:
Best emailing him through his own blogs, I guess. He has a blog for both moviebob [http://moviebob.blogspot.co.uk/] and the game overthinker. [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.co.uk/]
Unfortunately I looked and didn't see anywhere on his blogs where one could contact him.