Update: Crytek Forms Studio From Darksiders Studio's Ashes

Kielgasten

Oct 12, 2009
Really happy for the people who´s got a job again! :)

Now, for the Emprahs sake: Finish Dark Millenium!

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
I'm glad to see those people working again! I actually never played a Darksiders game so I have no loyalty to the IP. However, for the sake of the fans, it should be allowed to continue. My Crytek will turn around and purchase the series soon.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
"Got back to me"? Publishing news before all the facts are in? What kind of journalism is that? Oh, right, the regular kind...
All joking aside tough, Jens "Schafer"? The Schafers aren't secretly the Rockefellers of the games industry, are they?

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
MonkeyPunch said:
Great news that the Vigil guys found a new job! Crytek is a decent company too so looking forward as to what they can come up with.

I can't believe that Darksiders is so shunned! When I first played Darksiders I can remember being super positively surprised and I really loved the art style. The second game was great too. Played it all the way through and again the art was stunning. I personally will never understand why this game can't find acclaim and love :(
Great art can be under appreciated for a variety of reasons. There's pretty much consensus among game critics that "Spec Ops: The Line" is the greatest achievement in game narratives since "Bioshock" (some even claim it surpasses it). But that didn't stop it from being undersold. Van Gogh was seen as a buffoon who didn't know how to wield a paintbrush in his own time, even though today he is viewed as the grandfather of modern art.
Not that I'm saying that "Darksiders" is as good as any of the above, but in the end it really comes down to taste. You liked "Darksiders", other people didn't. There's no right or wrong way to appreciate art. It's having an opinion in the first place that counts.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I can't say I am sorry for the Darksiders franchise. While I loved the first two games, I didn't want to play a Darksiders 3 as anyone except either Pestilence or Famine. Fury and Strife seemed like to easy a copout, since both of those people could play similar to War and Death.

I really wanted to have a cancer spell as Pestilence.

regalphantom

Feb 10, 2011
Vrach said:
albino boo said:
Vrach said:
If I'm reading that right, they didn't resurrect the studio, they just hired all the laid off employees. Vigil didn't own people and I don't think there's a law against hiring someone who's unemployed.
Its not unknown for there to be in conditions of contracts terms stipulating that you can't work for a rival company for a set period of time. The wrangle becomes, if Vigil has gone and its parent company is being liquidated, are those terms still valid. What happens if someone buys the right to the THQ name, does the choice of enforcing those terms go to the new owner, or did those rights die.
Yeah, but the workers were LAID OFF. You can't punish someone for hiring unemployed people, no matter the circumstances. If they were under contract, that contract would have been severed by Vigil when they fired them, you can't keep previous employees held to a contract when you've let them go.
This. Even if there was a non-competition agreement in the employee's contract (which is more unlikely than you would think, as they are generally reserved for individuals higher in the corporate ladder to keep them from leaving and starting a direct rival to them), those agreements are only valid in the case of voluntary departure from the company. As the employees of Vigil were laid off, their departure was not voluntary and thus the NCA would have no weight in court.

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
I'm glad these people get to keep their jobs, and not a single tear is shed by me for Darksiders. I got the entire franchise on Steam for $13 during the holiday sale, and I still don't feel like it's worth it.

Yellowfish

Nov 8, 2012
bringer of illumination said:
I hope they'll put their talents to work on something that isn't the most boring, by the numbers Hack and Slash series of this generation.
I think that's not likely, considering that Crytek is mainly famous for a series of gorgeous, but incredibly shallow shooters.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
I am glad they have found a new job and much like many people on here, I look forward to seeing something other than a FPS from Crytek.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Ticonderoga117 said:
*Raises hand and waves it around* Uhm! Uhm! Darksiders is cool and all... but what about Dark Millenium?!
To be fair I lost interest when they removed the MMO elements from DM. I would play the living crap out of a 40k MMO.... but no, I'll have to keep waiting.